Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Homestead Speedway and the G35s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homestead Speedway and the G35s

Just got back from running my G35S and brothers 99 M3 at homestead speedway for the PBOC event this weekend. The G35 was amazing the crowd. Completely stock (K&N replacement filter) and I was outrunning porche boxter's, A4's and others. I had a few instructors that road with me and they were amazed at its acceleration. The M3’s where leaving me in the turns but not on the straights. The G35 tops out stronger and really was pulling after 90. I hit about 118 on the front straight. I was pretty impressed with the handling but it could be better.

I was wondering if anyone knows a good upgrade to make this thing stick a little more. I blew thru a set of brakes (6k miles cannot believe that but that is racing) and will be getting slotted and drilled rotors with racing pads and brake fluid (any recommendations welcome). I was looking at Stillen stuff for that. (http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_de...d=18656&page=1)

I was thinking of shocks, springs, sway bar if they make it, strut brace if they make it, and maybe lowering the car. Of course some new skins are required (kumho are sweet). Anyone have some brands and websites...need to do this within the month...Sebring race track is soon and I must go faster thru the turns.

Got hooked immediately…falling deeper in love with the big four door sports car.

Mountain

PS. I really love the attention this car gets.

Old 12-16-2002, 02:12 AM
Re: Homestead Speedway and the G35s

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the Boxster owner must have been asleep at the wheel, a G35 sedan isn't going to beat a boxster on the track, a coupe isn't either for that matter, not of the Boxster owner knows what they are doing. Sounds like you had fun, which is the most important thing, but don't get to overconfident....

Old 12-16-2002, 04:08 AM

starting from 80mph i dont think a boxster could match a g35. The g35 would get handled on turns though. It may be very close, but there is no replacement for displacement at high speeds.

Old 12-16-2002, 08:21 AM

the boxster made up time in the turns but in the straights I left him. Homestead speedway has 2 100+ mph straights. The boxter wasnt breaking 90-95 and I was almost to 115. It wasnt a race. There was no passing in the turns (who wants to mess up a nice ride). I spoke with the boxster owner and he agreed the cars on that track would turn simmilar times. If there was less straights then it might be differant. A boxster S would be differant as well.

The real question is if anyone has any input for me on my handling/braking issues?

Old 12-16-2002, 06:20 PM

Oops sorry I missed that you said Boxster and I always think Boxster S. A pre-2000 Boxster had under 200 hp and would be hard pressed to keep up with the G35c if the track had any amount of straights. A 2000+ base Boxster has 227 hp and is a lighter car than the G35c so it would be pretty even overall and a Boxster S would leave the G35c behind. Of course this is assuming competent drivers for both cars. In the Boxster you could get a tan, in the coupe you could turn on the A/C if it got too hot.. Stereo probably sounds better in the coupe too... not sure if you were using that on the track or not...

Old 12-18-2002, 03:19 PM

What is the PBOC? I have raced in the Mazda Pro Series for a few years, but got out this year to pursue other things (too expensive). I would like to continue to do some racing. Just got a G35c 6mt and would like to do somethink similar to what you are discussing. Can you tell me where to get some info.

Old 12-19-2002, 08:07 PM

well, this is what I decided:

JIC flight coil over suspension (recommended by stillen over the HKS system www.jic-magic.com FLT-A2)

for now I am going with stillen cross drilled and slotted replacement rotors. My track time made me realize that the brakes are good just delicate and soft. They wear too fast and the rotors score easy. So by going with the stillen rotors and some racing pads (which I cannot find yet) I hope to avoid the 2k dollars on a brake system. I will just bring extra factory pads with me to the track until race pads release. If later I need a better brake system then at least I used up the 600 in rotors and got a little better performance.

Along the same line I plan on getting bigger tires for the factory rims...tirerack says 235/50/17 will fit so once the stock tires are cooked I will try those...maybe some kumho or toyo high performance tires. Since track driving goes thru wearables I might as well save were I can.

powerline - PBOC - porsche BMW owners club - but there are lots of clubs that have drivers school that are reasonably priced and will let any car go...even us japanese cars. Just dont go nuts with the skirts and accessories or the german elitist might call you a ricer.

The big issue is everything is on back order for a month. I wish all of us weren't so eager to go fast and turn better....gotta luv the car freaks....... :-)

Any suggestions welcome!

Old 12-19-2002, 11:13 PM

Dude one thing.
For a G35 I wouldnt get Kuhmo's or Toyo's

I being a former "Import Fanatic" Acura/Honda drag and track racer. Gone through many tires. Michelins, Kuhmo, Toyo, Dunlop, and Bridgestones, and a few more.
The worst is always Michelins, comming next is Toyo, Dunlop, then Bridgestones are the best.

I use to own the Kuhmo 205/50/15 Esctra Supra 712. Great tire for the money, burns quick! -20k or under, but in stickiness it lacks and doesnt grab the road. Toyo's were good, last 25k, but not as sticky as Kuhmo.
My best most expensive tires ever were the Bridgstone RE730's 205/50/15. Sticky like fly paper, picks up rocks like crazy glue, Hangs and handles amazingly but of course you get what you pay for!!!

Depends on your budget, now that I am going to own a 30k car I dont even plan on buying cheap tires for my ride again.

I suggest if your tight on budget get the Bridgestone RE730's, you will love them to death. Once you go expensive you never go back! But if you got some extra cash rolls, look into the Bridgestone S02's, last year's model but handles +++. But if your a straight baller, buy the Bridgestone S03's, newest tire technology in the market and is rated the best tire you can buy for money.
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position
Front: 225/35-18 YR $170 Max Performance
Rear: 255/35-18 YR $210 Max Performance.
Not stock standard tire size as you can see. For increased performance. Buy +1 wider, +1 lower profile. Increases handling by 50%, but you sacerfice ride quality.

Old 12-20-2002, 09:06 AM

While I agree that SO3's are great tires and better than the Kuhmos, I have to disagree with some of your "results" such as buying +1/+1 to increase your handling "50%".

We consistently test a multitude of tires on the track on a variety of high performance cars and I can tell you that the difference between many of these tires is very small. For example, digging out the Kuhmo 712 lap times vs. the SO3 lap times shows a difference ranging from .3 to 2.1 seconds around a 2.5 mile road course depending on vehicle and conditions. That's not a huge difference as driver errors certainly fall within that discrepancy.

There is no modification, suspension or otherwise that will simply increase handling by 50%. My personal best times at the track went down about 5 seconds after a major suspension overhaul and tuning so my times went from 2 minutes to 1:55 over a 2.5 mile course, not a 50% increase but it was a noticeable improvement.

Back to the SO3's, they do appear to be about the best multi-use tire out there (street / track) in terms of grip both wet and dry and overall ride quality, but they will "flat spot" to some degree as all of these performance tires will do.

So it really comes down to what you want. If you are just buying SO3's for the street then you are probably wasting your money as tires with very similar handling characteristics can be had for quite a bit less. If you want to graduate to some better times at auto cross or road course events then move up to the SO3's and you'll like the change, of course that is until you get some dedicated track tires like Hoosiers, etc.

For every day street use, ride comfort is probably a bigger factor in which case you don't want 18"s on the G35 coupe at all, the 17's ride smoother, especially for anyone in the back seat.

Oh one other point, the new Michelin Pilots (series 2) are a lot better that the first generation and come on several high performance cars these days. A lot quieter than previous tires, something the Kuhmos suffer a bit from is road noise at the "edge".

I always suggest trying out different tires until you find ones you like!