Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Wheel and Tire almost flew off the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmz...never heard of this retorque thingy...
how come all my cars are ok? o_O?

Old 11-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good plan to have the dealer look at it and assume future responsibility.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by BBB
As i was driving home today, i was about .3 miles away from my house.. i hear a loud knocking sound and the whole rear of the car starts shaking.. i pull over to see the wheel half-way off the car! it was so weird, i found one of the wheel nuts on the ground, one was barely on one of the bolts and the other ones were gone. i ran back home to get the extra wheel nuts.. i jacked up the car, took the rim off and i see that 3 of the bolts that hold the rim are like sawed off, i look inside the rim and 3 of the threads are stripped and scratched. i couldnt believe it.. out of no where!
i did replace the tire of that same rim a month ago, but i didnt do anything wrong as it was fine until tonight.
i dont have any pics but i hope i can fix the threads on the rim.. do you think its possible? do i have to replace the whole rotor assembly or can i replace the part? price? will warranty cover this HELP!
I didn't do anything wrong?? Sure you did. You didn't torque the lugs correctly, and they came loose. Can you replace the lugs?? Sure. SHOULD YOU?? NO!! You don't know what you're doing, and you may die!! Pay someone to fix your F/U before the wheel comes loose and kills someone.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pentangle
I didn't do anything wrong?? Sure you did. You didn't torque the lugs correctly, and they came loose. Can you replace the lugs?? Sure. SHOULD YOU?? NO!! You don't know what you're doing, and you may die!! Pay someone to fix your F/U before the wheel comes loose and kills someone.
Relax you moron.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by chilibowl
Relax you moron.
Who's a moron?? My wheels are still on the car.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:57 AM
G'z 6MT
Remove the rotor and have the Lugs replaced... You should be fine. As stated above, looks like someone might of been hijacking you and someone spooked them off.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's closer to $80 for the set at the dealership.

The old Dodges had reverse-thread lugs on one side of the car to expressly prevent this from happening. (loosen while driving)

Old 11-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm just glad to hear that you, your G and everyone around were safe. It could have been pretty ugly. Count your blessings.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Call the Cops
^ thanks bro

I didn't do anything wrong?? Sure you did. You didn't torque the lugs correctly, and they came loose. Can you replace the lugs?? Sure. SHOULD YOU?? NO!! You don't know what you're doing, and you may die!! Pay someone to fix your F/U before the wheel comes loose and kills someone
try reading the whole thread, we've came to the conclusion that i might've torqued the lugs incorrectly or it could've been vandalism. you coming in at the end saying what you said doesnt help me at all..

well the car's still at the dealer and they quoted me 1850 to fix everything. i need a new rim cuz the threads are stripped, and i have to replace the whole hub assembly.. warranty won't cover it so this blows

Old 11-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Yo check it out, i think i know what happened to your car....many people lower the car completly then tq the nuts. Many times the wheel may sit flush with the ground but on an angle with the studs.... even if you tq them correctly with the weight of the car on the wheel it may not going pull the wheel and the studs together flush..... now think if there was gap of a 1/4 inch there would be a slight wobble to the wheel, you may not notice it at first but it would put enought pressure on the studs to strip them! so inorder to tq the wheel correctly lower the car till the car's wheel is a bit on the ground and dosent spin when you tq it a bit..... then finish lowering the car and complety tq the nuts..... also i dont see how over torquing the nuts could have caused this....under torqueing, yes. even forgetting one nut would cause the surface to be uneven>wobble>your problem

Old 11-28-2005, 07:13 PM
eh look for a new rim on here or ebay, u can usually get 2 maybe all 4 for under a grand or close to it.... and i dont know how much the hub assembly is, but at the dealer they charge over $500 per wheel or from what i remember. try taking it to a normal shop and not the dealer, $1850 is alot

im selling all 4 of my stock 19's for 1400 considering u have an 04 you should be able to get the 18's for cheaper

Old 11-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by symalik
eh look for a new rim on here or ebay, u can usually get 2 maybe all 4 for under a grand or close to it.... and i dont know how much the hub assembly is, but at the dealer they charge over $500 per wheel or from what i remember. try taking it to a normal shop and not the dealer, $1850 is alot

im selling all 4 of my stock 19's for 1400 considering u have an 04 you should be able to get the 18's for cheaper

I think he needs new bolts and studs more than he needs a rim man...

Old 11-28-2005, 08:20 PM
$1800 is way too much. The studs are very simple to replace. I had to do it when I broke a stud. The dealer torqued them way to tight. Even an impact wrench could not get the lug nut off. I finally said screw it and broke it off. You need to tighten the lugs in a criss-cross pattern while the car is in the air and make sure the wheel is flush against the hub. You won't be able to tighten too much while it's in the air, but just enough to hold the wheel. You can then lower the car and tighten in a criss-cross pattern to 80 ft/lb. This has worked for me for years...and I don't retorque either.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I think someone was trying to jack your wheels too bro,better get some wheel locks.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Sheared wheel-studs from someone trying to steel the wheels? There has to be an easier way to steal the wheels than sawing them off at the studs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel and Tire almost flew off the car