Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tire Light Pressure Help Please...??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Light Pressure Help Please...??

so i have about 3250 miles on my 05 6mt. i'm driving along and i hear this loud beep that goes on for about 10 seconds or so....i look on my dash and see this symbol light up..i later look up what it is and it's a low tire pressure warning light....should i be worried? or do i just need to go put some more air in? and is it just one tire or all of them? and how low does the pressure have to be in order for it to go off in the first place? thanks in advance!

Old 11-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Alumni****
it usually has to drop to about 28 psi to trigger it.. but i've had it go off at 30 as well..

you don't necessarily have to be worried.. just go check your tire pressure.. then again, two weekends ago, i had a nail in my tire and the leak caused the sensor to go off.. by the time i reached the wedding reception area, my tire was pretty much flat..

some people have had to have their sensors reset by the dealership because they were reading incorrectly.. so that could be another issue..

Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 AM
You should check your tire pressures. It could be one tire or more. If the weather in your area has gotten colder recently that could be the cause. I found I had what I thought was a nail in my tire; turned out to be a bolt and the tire needs to be replaced.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 PM
it could be one tire or more... you would only know when u check the pressure yourself... funny thing is i never get a beep when my light has come on.
And it must have come on due to many factors... cold temperature, you hit something, driving in the rain (its happened to me - must be due to temps changing when going thru water clogged roads) or the air is leaking for some reason.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone know what it is when the light comes on but there's no beep? last weekend i took a 1.5 hour trip to visit my friend. about half way there (and back) my tp light came on but there was no beep. i've checked my tires and the pressure is fine. i'm currently running my snow tires (which have bigger rubber) and am wondering if maybe they just expand more when they heat up after a drive or something. i was thinking of mentioning it to my service rep when i take it in to the dealer for my next oil change (just to make sure it's not a faulty sensor or something). anyone else encounter this problem? ps. when driving around the city this week i have not encountered this problem. i'm also going on another long drive this weekend and am assuming the same thing is gonna happen again.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:23 PM
i think i need to get mine reset. mine goes off even when my pressure is at 34psi???

Old 11-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Either I need to have my eyes checked...but on the door sticker doesn't it say 30 psi for the sedans???

Old 11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Mine went off as well everytime I leave the car outside, even with 30+ psi. The dealership said the tires have to balance out around 33+ psi for the 19" wheels. Although the sensors are not supposed to go off unless it drops to 28 psi. Hmmm?

Old 11-30-2005, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69
anyone know what it is when the light comes on but there's no beep?
Yes. That means that the car is not getting a signal from your tire pressure sensors. It does that to let you know that something is wrong with the system. It normally doesn't come on until 30-60 minutes of driving.

Do you have tire pressure sensors on your winter wheels? If not, just ignore the light.

If you do have a second set of sensors on your winter wheels, did you get them registered with the car when you put them on this winter? Every time you change sensors, they must be re-registered with the car. And this has to be done with a special tool. Typically only the dealers have the tool.

Last edited by dave; 12-01-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dave
Yes. That means that the car is not getting a signal from your tire pressure sensors. It does that to let you know that something is wrong with the system. It normally doesn't come on until 30-60 minutes of driving.

Do you have tire pressure sensors on your winter wheels? If not, just ignore the light.

If you do have a second set of sensors on your winter wheels, did you get them registered with the car when you put them on this winter? Every time you change sensors, they must be re-registered with the car. And this has to be done with a special tool. Typically only the dealers have the tool.
dave... thanks for the info. i have no idea if the sensors were moved to the snows or not. it's funny though that it takes that long for the computer to realize that something is wrong with the sensors (like they're missing!).

Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by dave

Do you know how much they would charge for re-registering the TPS?