Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Avon Tech M550 A/S or Continental ContiExtremeContact

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for extremecontact. I'd never get a replacement tire that's heavier than stock.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
Yeah, that extension is just what you need, it's long enough that your torque wrench will clear the wheels and fenders, but short enough for good leverage. You don't need an impact extension though, just a regular chrome one.

The socket you showed is deep enough, but it's an impact socket. A regular chrome socket will probably have a thinner wall, not as likely to rub inside the lug holes. Make sure it's six point like the one in the picture.

You'll also want one of these to run the nuts on (after you start them by hand) and off. http://www.maxpower-tools.com/manage...4101390516.jpg
Thanks for your info. I see this torque wrench on ebay (includes 5 inch extension). Not bad, it's the clicking torque wrench and said it's recommended for people using it for their cars. It's only half the price of the Sears torque wrench. What you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3PCS-...09492173QQrdZ1

Old 02-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
avon's all the way i've heard nothing but good about them.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Thanks for your info. I see this torque wrench on ebay (includes 5 inch extension). Not bad, it's the clicking torque wrench and said it's recommended for people using it for their cars. It's only half the price of the Sears torque wrench. What you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3PCS-...09492173QQrdZ1
It's probably fine for things like wheel lugs, where you don't neessarily need a lot of precision. I just inherited an affinity for Craftsman tools from my Dad who was a mechanic all his life and used nothing else.

Good luck with your new wheels and tires.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:47 PM
It's probably fine for things like wheel lugs, where you don't neessarily need a lot of precision. I just inherited an affinity for Craftsman tools from my Dad who was a mechanic all his life and used nothing else.

Good luck with your new wheels and tires.
Thanks and if you don't mind. I want to look into buying one of those jack kits too (with hydralics). Not that I want to do anything under the car but just to jack it up to rotate tires or whatever. Any recommendations? Or that's not necessary?

If both torque wrench clicks shouldn't it be as precise as the craftsman one? Stupid question but I've never used a torque wrench. Let's say you get to 80 lb torque and if you keep on turning it, what happens? the wrench wouldn't go anymore?

Last edited by mikeee2; 02-03-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by blazinZ
avon's all the way i've heard nothing but good about them.
Yeah...same here. They have wonderful review. I like the basic sidewall patterns too. The conti's sideway has all these funky patterns that I am afraid it'll look ugly from the side view. The only positive thing about the conti's are the 5 lb reduction per wheel.

From time to time I do read posts that saids Avon's have issue balancing.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Thanks and if you don't mind. I want to look into buying one of those jack kits too (with hydralics). Not that I want to do anything under the car but just to jack it up to rotate tires or whatever. Any recommendations? Or that's not necessary?

If both torque wrench clicks shouldn't it be as precise as the craftsman one? Stupid question but I've never used a torque wrench. Let's say you get to 80 lb torque and if you keep on turning it, what happens? the wrench wouldn't go anymore?
I would definitely recommend a floor jack. I have to change out 3 sets of winters (mine, my wife's and my son's) and rotate my daughter's all-seasons, so even with my son helping, doing it with an trunk jack would be a major PITA. Like any tool, for occasional use you an get by with something less than top-of-the-line as long as you're going to be safe. If you're going to use it regularly, a better quality unit will likely stand up better. Jack stands just make any jack safer.

An expensive torque wrench will be calibrated (and occasionally re-calibrated) to be absolutely accurate at all points in it's range, and stay precise over time and with use. But like I said, for wheel lugs anything is better than guesswork or a tire store impact driver. It's more important that the lugs be evenly tightened than knowing with certainty that they are at 79, 80 or 81 ft/lbs.

As for using the torque wrench, you'll feel the click as much as hear it - it has some give to it. Your natural reaction to the click will be to back off.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:12 AM
I would definitely recommend a floor jack. I have to change out 3 sets of winters (mine, my wife's and my son's) and rotate my daughter's all-seasons, so even with my son helping, doing it with an trunk jack would be a major PITA. Like any tool, for occasional use you an get by with something less than top-of-the-line as long as you're going to be safe. If you're going to use it regularly, a better quality unit will likely stand up better. Jack stands just make any jack safer.

An expensive torque wrench will be calibrated (and occasionally re-calibrated) to be absolutely accurate at all points in it's range, and stay precise over time and with use. But like I said, for wheel lugs anything is better than guesswork or a tire store impact driver. It's more important that the lugs be evenly tightened than knowing with certainty that they are at 79, 80 or 81 ft/lbs.

As for using the torque wrench, you'll feel the click as much as hear it - it has some give to it. Your natural reaction to the click will be to back off.
Usual_suspect,

Thanks for all your help, especially explaining things to a newbie like me. Now I just need to decide which tires to order and to figure out if I can fit all 4 rim and tires into the G to drive to an installer. I really doubt it'll fit...but I'll find out.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm using the Avon M550 A/S and I do not have any complaints . They have great wet & snow traction (I have not been stuck nor have I slid off the road) and they have very good treadwear. The steering response does feel a little mushy compared to the Pilot sports.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Frostydc4
I'm using the Avon M550 A/S and I do not have any complaints . They have great wet & snow traction (I have not been stuck nor have I slid off the road) and they have very good treadwear. The steering response does feel a little mushy compared to the Pilot sports.
For anyone that saids lighter the better (being the Conti's) then I get one saying the Avon's are better. HAHA...

I definitely like the thread pattern of the Avon's better and it would look better on the car than the Conti's with the funky sidewalls. I'll probably make up my mind this weekend. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:31 AM
... Now I just need to decide which tires to order and to figure out if I can fit all 4 rim and tires into the G to drive to an installer. I really doubt it'll fit...but I'll find out.
They'll fit, just get some blankets to cover your seats. Check this thread: LINKY

Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 AM
They'll fit, just get some blankets to cover your seats. Check this thread: LINKY
WOW...that's 8 wheels in a coupe. HAHA...I guess I'll be playing my own tetris soon.

Thanks again!!!

Old 02-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Usual Suspect,

I bought a torque wrench from tirerack when I ordered my tires. It's 30 bucks. See attachment. I am a bit confused about it. I think I know how to set the torque now. However, when do you hear the click when it reaches the 80 lb torque limit? The torque wrench has a switch on top (one sets clockwise and one counterclockwise). Why would you need counter clickwise? Don't you only apply torque when you do clockwise and tighten the lug nuts? Also if I set it at clockwise and lets say I twist it a bit to tighten, then I would swing it back counterclockwise and then clockwise again to tighten a bit more. But everytime I counterclockwise it has the clicking noise. Doesn't that clicking noise throw you off. On the instructions, it also said you need to calibrate it from time to time. Is this true??? Sorry for being a newbie with torque wrench. By the way it comes with an extension and I also bought a deep socket 21mm. Thanks...

Attached Thumbnails Avon Tech M550 A/S or Continental ContiExtremeContact-img_4432.jpg  
Old 02-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Mikeee2,

The wrench you bought looks fine for the purpose. I think your confusion comes from treating it like a ratchet handle. If you need to take a second turn on the wrench, you have to take the socket off the lug and reposition like a regular swing handle. The wrench is designed to measure torque both ways so that it an be used for left hand threads (rare). My wrench is always set for clockwise since I never use it to take the lugs off (use a cross wrench).

If you are a mechanic working on motors, suspension, etc. you need to calibrate your wrench, but for wheel lugs it's not really necessary. The critical issue with wheel lugs is that the wheel is centered, and that the lugs are evenly tightened in a star pattern. If you do this and they are all 1 or 2 ft/lb over or under you're still good. You get possible warping of wheels and rotors when people drive them up to 100+ ft/lb with an impact driver or tighen by hand and get some at 90 ft/lb and others at 70.

My routine for tightening (for what it's worth) is like this:

Start each lug by hand for at least 6 turns (take the socket and extension off the wrench and use it like a screwdriver if the lug hole is too deep to get your fingers in).

While pressing the wheel to the hub with one hand, spin the lugs on (always star pattern, I won't keep repeating) with a cross wrench just until they're snug. This lets the wheel center itself on the hub before you tighten anything.

Set the torque wrench for 40 ft/lb and tighten all lugs just until it clicks. Set the wrench again for 80 ft/lb and repeat. Test drive the car to make sure you have no vibrations or other issues.

Go once around the lugs with the torque wrench after about 50 miles till you get an 80 ft/lb click. Do it again after the first 500 miles. You can lose a little torque on the lugs as the wheel settles in with use.

I probably sound a little ****, it really isn't difficult. Good luck.

Craig

Old 02-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go for the Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires. Better than both for performance, but the Conti probably has the edge in the snow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Avon Tech M550 A/S or Continental ContiExtremeContact