Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shocks

anyone installed new shocks? i think i heard that aftermarket shocks lower your car more? is that right? sorry, i know about squat about suspensions.
if i get a 350z suspension, will that shorten the life of my stock shocks? darn it. so consusing. thanks guys. sorry for the stupid questions.

Old 08-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: shocks

nuttyprof (Registered)
08/30/03 02:26 PM

anyone installed new shocks? i think i heard that aftermarket shocks lower your car more? is that right? sorry, i know about squat about suspensions.
if i get a 350z suspension, will that shorten the life of my stock shocks? darn it. so consusing. thanks guys. sorry for the stupid questions.
__________________________________________________ _

I can tell you for a fact that no one has, no one makes any yet. Koni will be out with their Koni Sport struts this fall. Their is one Z owner on my350Z.com that paid a ton of money to have some koni's ment for a different application work on his Z. Also EVO350.com sell's special race struts made by morton, so special that they cost several thousand dollars and should never be used off the track. http://www.350evo.com/350Evo_Suspension.htm

Didn't you get the 350Z struts to? You will only get a fraction of the improvements that I got using the the 350Z springs AND 350Z struts. The Z struts are valved allot stiffer and are the main reason I got all the improvement's that I did. And also know that the Z struts use shorter bodies, which makes sense given that the Z springs are shorter.

Ok, so if your gonna try and run Z springs on G sedan struts (I pray you have the sport suspension). The spring rates aren't really any different. So you won't suffer any premature strut wear. But any handling benefits you get will come from your slightly lowered center of gravity, because you don't have the Z's much better performing struts. BUT, you should have none of the bounce I've mentioned in the past. But like I've said before, for the whole $150 shipped I paid for my 350z springs and struts and the tremendious performance gain's I got, I can live with some bounce. Or untill I get coilover money [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And remember, the struts or dampeners in coilovers systems don't apply in your case, their totally different.

If you have any other questions, just ask. I won't flame people that want to learn.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-31-2003, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know were Gsedan35 has been but there are quite a few shock out for the G. You can get the Nismo G-attack one or there are JIC magic or there are 3 tien kits wich are very nice. veil side makes 2 different sets, cosco makes 2 different sets, blitz makes a set, HKS makes a set and so does top secret. And yes 350Z shocks will work on a G. I am like 90% sure that the G coupe and the 350Z have idenical shocks. good luck
try i-m racing
http://www.i-m-racing.com/infinitig35.html

Old 08-31-2003, 12:58 AM

Carlos3186 (Gfreak)
08/30/03 09:20 PM

i dont know were Gsedan35 has been but there are quite a few shock out for the G. You can get the Nismo G-attack one or there are JIC magic or there are 3 tien kits wich are very nice. veil side makes 2 different sets, cosco makes 2 different sets, blitz makes a set, HKS makes a set and so does top secret. And yes 350Z shocks will work on a G. I am like 90% sure that the G coupe and the 350Z have idenical shocks. good luck
try i-m racing
http://www.i-m-racing.com/infinitig35.html

Hmmmm, where have I been,[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The only product you list that qualifies as a "strut or shock is the nismo, But they are only sold with springs, not as a seperate part, he already has springs.
http://store3.yimg.com/I/ntnsracing_1752_12236607
Yet, I should have mentioned them and forgot, thank you for mentioning them.

I knew someone would bring coilovers into the discussion, that why I said "And remember, the struts or dampeners in coilovers systems don't apply in your case, their totally different." All the other products you mentioned are dampeners that are part of coilover's NOT a stand alone strut or shock that can never be used with the cars existing springs. I'm fully aware of all the various coilovers the exist for the FM cars and likely one's that no one know's are out yet and I make it a point to gather the specs for every single one of them and save the info for future referance when someone want's to know.

G coupe and Z sturts are NOT identical other than they are both painted black and the fact that they can bolt up to any G or Z car. The Z struts are valved with allot more compression dampening. Where they are the same is in the springs between the coupe and Z. In spite of them shairing springs, the Z's much tighter strut valving is why the Z has a more athletic feel and stellar turn in performance, furthermore, that's why a ton of Z owners also curse the car for having bounce issues. Which NO coupe owner has ever complained about, since the coupe gets softer struts, yet the same springs as mentioned. Sedan's with sport suspension use the same valveing specs as the coupe struts, that is where the comparision is valid and even though the sedan has taller springs, their engineered to have pretty much the same spring rates as the shorter Z and coupe springs, speaking of course about a sedan with the sport suspension. I made it a point while doing my 350Z spring and strut install to take one of my sedan struts and try and compress it and compaired it to a Z strut, night and day difference in stiffness.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-31-2003, 01:04 AM

And before someone brings it up. Their is a Bilstien strut that is avaliable on JDM skylines. It is not avaliable from Bilstein North America and it is not ment for sporting duty. The sport sturts we get are, well, more sporting. Our sport struts are the same as on the Skyline 350GT

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-31-2003, 01:27 PM

sorry i didnt relize the difference bewteen the 2. my bad. maybe you can fill me in a bit. which is better as far as a performence aplication? thanks for any feed back and excuse my ignerence.

Old 08-31-2003, 02:29 PM

sorry i didnt relize the difference bewteen the 2. my bad. maybe you can fill me in a bit. which is better as far as a performence aplication? thanks for any feed back and excuse my ignerence.

No biggie Carlos, you actully helped me in mentioning the Nismo units. (I would have added on the, but they only come with springs comment). Don't make yourself feel bad, you made a effort to step in when you thought I'd left things out. Not everyone would be willing to step up to the plate.

As far as what's the best, man their's soooo many different coilover applications and so many of them have NO owner experiences for us to draw on.

I personelly want either Tein flex's with custom 9kg spring rates, instead of the 12kg rate's they come with. Which is kinda risky since Tien says I only have a +or- 2kg adjustability range in any of thier coilovers that are adjustable.
If I pick the CS Teins with 9kg spring rate that's the max they can handle, I don't know if I want to max that system out. I'd also like to look into the Jic FLTA2's or the HKS hypermax II's. See, even with all my research even I've got several system's on my mind. I dunno the Tein's do seam to have a very loyal following and the owner comment's on the across the various forums has been very good, if not exceptional. I think which is the best is very difficult to pin down, but certainly one would do well to look for something that matches their priorities.

Part of making a selection is looking at the spring rates the various systems come with and considering how that jives with what you think of your car's current spring stiffness. Then add in what kind of performance level you would like to get to and what kind of ride stiffness you think you would be willing to live with. Does that brand of coilover have adjustable dampener's? Does it adjust for both rebound and compression? Can they tell you how that adjustment range makes changes (for instance on any adjustable Tein, in those 16 level's of rebound and compression adjustment's you are adjusting the dampeners ability to control 2kg(118lbs) of spring rate). And when you run a search on that brand of coilover, what are the owners comments on them. Read carefully sometimes you'll discover that some systems will have most of the owners tell you to pick a different system if you have performance on your mind.

BTW, somewhere on my350Z.com, theirs are really good post on Jic coilovers vs the Teins. It get's into some technical things about how they are constructed differently. If I recall the post gave the Jic system the nod for being better engineered. I'll have to try and find it.

Regards,

Jim C.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-31-2003, 06:28 PM

hey thanks for the informetive responce. I also like the JIC and Tien. But from what i herd the JIC are a bit to ruff for a daily driver.

Good luck

Old 08-31-2003, 08:34 PM

BTW - Shocks don't lower you car, springs do.

Lou

Old 08-31-2003, 11:53 PM

Carlos3186 (Gfreak)
08/31/03 03:28 PM

hey thanks for the informetive responce. I also like the JIC and Tien. But from what i herd the JIC are a bit to ruff for a daily driver.

Jic's come in 2 flavor's the FLT-A2RS version are the one's that should never be driven on the street, they use sky high spring rates that are,...........gulp 944lbs front 1062lbs rear. The regular Jics FLT-A2 us 590lbs front 590lbs rear, which are lower than what Tein uses on the flex coilover's, which use 671lbs front and 671lbs rear.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-01-2003, 12:02 AM

lowrider (Journeyman)
08/31/03 05:34 PM

BTW - Shocks don't lower you car, springs do.

Correct. I'm not sure where I may have said something like that. Only thing I can say is. coupe and Z springs are shorter than any sedan spring. To use them on a sedan will lower that sedan 7/8" front 1 1/8" rear. Both the coupe and Z use struts that are shorter to better match the shorter springs they have. The fact that their struts are slighly shorter does not mean that in itself would lower the cause, cause it has no effect. I went out of my way to check that the sedan struts vs the Z struts have spring seats (at least in the front ) that are the same height as one another.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-01-2003, 12:26 AM

What about Koni Yellows? They are adjustable height wise and for damping.

It's still a G thang!!

Old 09-01-2003, 02:04 AM

I really don't think the Koni's will be adjustable height wise. In the many conversation's I've had with Gordon at Koni, he never mentioned that. I know sometimes they can be made by koni that way. And certainly NEUSPEED is a big customer of them, but mostly for VW and HONDA / ACURA applications. The Koni yellows will be adjustable, but for rebound only, no compression adjustability. They are developed, the hold up is getting them into production. It looks like late fall is when we will see them.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-01-2003, 10:11 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

gsedan35 where did you get the springs and struts

Daniel

5AT Coupe / DP / Willow / Aero / Premium / 3M Clear Bra

Old 09-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, i found a set of 350z suspension in the same city, just my luck. they are the struts and springs for 140. do you happen to know how hard is the installation? is there a post on here showing how to do it? =). if there is, and you remember it, ill do a search for it. thanks a lot gsedan35. u are the most helpful person on this forum IMO. thanks

G35S 6MT
K&N FAI
Technosquare ECU
6-wire ground kit
Quantum tint
Custom sunshade

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: shocks