Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Black Spots on Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alsg35
They paint the rims black fisrt and they silver. The pictures posted before my reply looks like you ran over a paint can or tar ball. If it's paint, use your finger nails to remove.
I took me rims to a shop, that removed the paint and polished it out. It looks like a chrome rim. Maintances suck, Waxed about once a month, and clean with water every other two times out for a ride, Or every 100 miles. I have pictures, but I do know how to post it. I can PM it to you. The shop is on Long Island.
I wish I had just run over some wet paint or tar, because then I'd be able to remove this stuff- I'm going to have to go some other route.

Is the wheel shop on LI you're referring to Wheels America? I had them repair and respray a set of 18" SSR GT1 Integrals a couple years back- they came out alright, but not flawless by any stretch. Pricing was very competitive, though.

If you want, alsg35, you can email me the pics you're talking about to joshknot@gmail.com and I'll post them for you via photobucket.

-Josh

Old 04-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by joshknot
I think it's probably coincidence, but just the other day I spotted what looks like black paint drips on one of my wheels, and then I came upon this thread...I doubt I'm suffering from the same issue, but maybe? Here are the pics:

The weird thing is that the spots feel absolutely flush with the surface of the wheel- tried Goo-Gone and there's no reaction- tried a harsher paint thinner and it didn't do anything either. I'm getting pretty bummed because it looks like the finish is actually ruined- does anybody have any advice?

-Josh

this is exactly what i have on my rims at the moment and i can't clean them for anything - got the wheel polisher / power ball / wheel wax - im running out of all kinds of options so now i have speckle rims

Old 04-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Yup happened to me after I had my friend wash my car.... You cant get it off; you just have to refinish them. Or just buy new rims :-)

Last edited by Shiftlock82; 04-19-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw some guys have this problem on the OEM 18" wheels on their M3s. They had black spots on their wheels, but in the case of the M3 the paint was popping off the wheel. Just repainting a wheel shouldn't cost more than $80 a wheel including the rebalancing.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by FAST1
I saw some guys have this problem on the OEM 18" wheels on their M3s. They had black spots on their wheels, but in the case of the M3 the paint was popping off the wheel. Just repainting a wheel shouldn't cost more than $80 a wheel including the rebalancing.
Oh man- where did you get that quote? Best I found for refinish back in the day was $160/wheel for a 18" alloy. I imagine that perfectly matching the OEM 19"s will be more difficult, and thus costly.

Update: the 'black spots' are definitely not spots of something on the rim, they're spots where the finish has been eaten away by something. I finally examined the big spot in my pics, and it wasn't flush like the other spots- it actually dips in slightly. SO: something completely fux0red my wheel- no idea what...

-Josh

Old 04-20-2006, 01:10 AM
as someone already said, the wheels are painted black, then covered with a very thin chrome color. When you see black coming thru, game over. the more you rub, the more black you'll see In some cases, its just brake dust staining, but unfortunately its usually the chrome silver worn or eaten off. Even more suckage is that the paint process cant be re-done in the US (exactly as Inf as done it).

Old 04-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Took my messed up rims to the dealer

So as I've posted previously, my rims are also stained with black spots. It looks nothing like the pictures posted on this thread. I'd post pics but my camera stopped working months ago. I took it into the dealer, and they told me that they have been permanently damaged by some acidic wheel cleaner that was put on them. He told me about a service bulletin that Infiniti released about this issue. I found it online somewhere (sorry, no link) but it says:

"Discoloration due to the use of an incorrect wheel cleaner is not a warrantable condition and warranty claims for replacement of such discolored wheels will be denied."

He also told me that he has tried to get them replaced for other customers and Infiniti has denied them all.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joshknot
Oh man- where did you get that quote? Best I found for refinish back in the day was $160/wheel for a 18" alloy. I imagine that perfectly matching the OEM 19"s will be more difficult, and thus costly.

Update: the 'black spots' are definitely not spots of something on the rim, they're spots where the finish has been eaten away by something. I finally examined the big spot in my pics, and it wasn't flush like the other spots- it actually dips in slightly. SO: something completely fux0red my wheel- no idea what...

-Josh
I use to go the "Ye Ole Wheel Shop" in MD (800 526 8260. The last time I took my damaged wheels there in 2001, they charged me $100 a wheel for repairing gouge marks and repainting the entire wheel. So I'm assuming that they will charge less for just repainting. One thing for certain, don't take the wheels to your Dealer. They will just sub out the work and charge you a big markup.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey joshknot, my rims dont have blemishes like your wheels do. Mine just have dark stains on the outer lip of the wheel. It looks the wheel is dirty but the stains dont come out. I contacted my buddy who works for corporate Nissan/Infiniti and he is having my wheels replaced under warranty. Check with your local dealer to see if they are willing to replace your wheels under warranty.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:53 PM
A guy on the chicagoz boards got his rims cleaned at the dealer with an acid based solution and his rims were ruined the exact same way. He returned the car the next day it was a used g35 he bought and after the dealer ruined the rims he returned the car.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:54 PM
hmmm... i couldn't get infiniti to replace my stained wheels under warranty, but we did work out a nice deal. they are going to give me some new 19's off a new G and have mine chromed (since there's no gouges, scrapes, etc), and then put the chromed wheels on a new G. I just have to wait until someone comes in and asks for chrome 19's, and they will call me in to make the trade. they were super cool about it, and they aren't gonna charge me anything- just an even trade.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by boste03
Hey joshknot, my rims dont have blemishes like your wheels do. Mine just have dark stains on the outer lip of the wheel. It looks the wheel is dirty but the stains dont come out. I contacted my buddy who works for corporate Nissan/Infiniti and he is having my wheels replaced under warranty. Check with your local dealer to see if they are willing to replace your wheels under warranty.
I've already got an appointment to have the wheel looked at this Friday- I'm heading in to pick up my splash-guards that just came in anyway. I'm also having the dealer look at the front brake-rotors; the black anti-rust coating is peeling off both of them. Does anybody else have this problem? Am I just being ****, or is it something that can be fixed?

I really hope the dealer works with me on this...the car's only a few weeks old, and I'd really prefer not to have to deal with the hassles of getting a wheel refinished so early on...

-Josh

Old 04-24-2006, 05:06 PM
I dont know if you guys have looked into this, but not too long ago I posted a thread regarding the same exact matter. My 1 week old rims were ruined by stains after they were washed for the first time. Only difference here is that mine were not the stock 19's, they were brand new 20 inch iForged Daytonas. The middle was powdrecoated gunmetal and this is where all of my stains were. Every single wheel had it and I later found out it was caused by a wheel cleaner. I now have to re powdercoat all 4 of the wheels. Here are the pics.
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/9922485538.jpg&s=x10
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/9922493179.jpg&s=x10
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/9922500766.jpg&s=x10
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/9922510740.jpg&s=x10
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/9922512980.jpg&s=x10

By the way, SL Metals in Long Island will be doing the work for me.
Diesel1 reccommended me to them and detailing dynamics did also. They are supposed to be the best on the island.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Well guy's I posted last week and tried to explain what the stain could be. I am going through a similar situation with Fletcher Jones Infiniti. The Stains are from any type of acid used to either clean the wheels or remove the brake dust build up. The OEM 19's have a very weak powder coating on them and it easily can be damaged. I learned this the hard way after my local dealership sprayed the acid on the wheels and the very next day the stains appeared.

My stains look more like liquid because the porter didnt rinse the acid off well and it spread but I have done quite a bit of research on this over the last week or so and this is the final outcome.

After filling complaints with the BBB & IFS & Infiniti Consumer Affairs the dealership has agreed to pay to the the wheels refinished. I decided to pay the extra $45 per wheel difference to have them painted to match the car & have the lip polished. Bring this up to your local dealer since a majority of them use spray acid to remove brakedust. I have the wheel warranty as well but if the damage was caused by the dealer then there is no reason you should have to pay for it.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by lightforce18
A guy on the chicagoz boards got his rims cleaned at the dealer with an acid based solution and his rims were ruined the exact same way. He returned the car the next day it was a used g35 he bought and after the dealer ruined the rims he returned the car.
Nice quote... Yes its me and the car was Brand New 2 days old... I've had the wheels inspected and only acid can eat through the top coat and get into the metal.

DO NOT CLEAN YOUR WHEELS WITH ACID... SOAP & WATER!!!

My Dealership learned the hard way, but Im glad it happened from them and me. I hope my situation is able to help some of you out there. I hope you get everything taken care of soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black Spots on Rims