Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Black Spots on Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Black Spots on Rims

I just got my car back from the dealer for 15K miles basic service, with a wash. Somehow my rims have a grayist/black stain on them. I can't rub it off with water and soap. I think they use some kind of products to give the tires a shine and spray some on the rims and didn't clean it off. Has this ever happen to anyone here? How do you remove the stain? My friend suggested Mothers Alumimum+Magnesium polish to remove the stain. I'll keep you posted if it works.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stained wheels

Yeah, exact same thing happened to my 19" OEM wheels, but it happened after I washed it, not the dealer. Now they are permanently stained. I have tried all kinds of cleaners, polishes, soaps, but nothing makes it even a little better. Unfortunately, I think they are ruined. I have no idea why, I just used regular soap like I have always used. I'm gonna try to get the dealer to replace them, but if not I guess try to get them refinished. Anyone know how much $$ to get them refinished at a shop? I heard ~$200 each from the stealer.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to be really careful what you use to wash those wheels. I never realized how sensitive they were which really surprised me. The detailer at my work used some acid based wheel cleaner and the same thing happened. The acid ate through the clear and made the gunmetal coloring run on my 19" rims. It left awful runs and stain marks. Another good reason why I got my wheels done. =p

Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by overdrve
You have to be really careful what you use to wash those wheels. I never realized how sensitive they were which really surprised me. The detailer at my work used some acid based wheel cleaner and the same thing happened. The acid ate through the clear and made the gunmetal coloring run on my 19" rims. It left awful runs and stain marks. Another good reason why I got my wheels done. =p
What do you mean you "got your wheels done?" I've been thinking about getting mine refinished, too, if that's what you mean. If so, who did it, how much $, and how did they turn out?? Thanks

Old 04-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by G-thirty-five
What do you mean you "got your wheels done?" I've been thinking about getting mine refinished, too, if that's what you mean. If so, who did it, how much $, and how did they turn out?? Thanks
Im guessing he meant he got them powdercoated or painted. Just my guess, could be wrong.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:05 AM
if you are talking about tiny black spots, it is probably brake dust specks under the clearcoat of the wheel. Use a clay bar and a little elbow grease. They will come out.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NeedaG
if you are talking about tiny black spots, it is probably brake dust specks under the clearcoat of the wheel. Use a clay bar and a little elbow grease. They will come out.
No, this is not tiny brake dust. They are more like chemical stain. It is awful. I will try to post the pictures soon. Should I tell the dealer about this and have them replace my wheels? I didn't noticed it until I drove home, so it is hard to pin it on them. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I took my car in for service.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont recommend metal polish on painted rims.
I have factory 05 17" wheels that were looking bad from a winter of neglect and brake dust. The dealer was not able to clean them up. They had yellow stains on most of the spoke joints and some black brake dust drip marks. Last week I had them off for swapping and decided I would try one last time to clean them. All I used was standard Meguires car soap (I have heard that many strong rim cleaners can dull the paint), a LOT of elbow grease and an old sponge. They came out as good as when I got them. But my arms, fingers, and hands were exhausted from all the work. I guess the dealer wash guy was not going to wear himself out doing his job? With them on the car it would have been even harder.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 PM
nah, no amount of elbow grease will get the stains out. i have tried a bunch of cleaners, and nothing helped at all. I'm going to the dealer today so I'll let you know what they say later.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As in:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...t=58695&page=5

Old 04-19-2006, 03:15 PM
I think it's probably coincidence, but just the other day I spotted what looks like black paint drips on one of my wheels, and then I came upon this thread...I doubt I'm suffering from the same issue, but maybe? Here are the pics:

The weird thing is that the spots feel absolutely flush with the surface of the wheel- tried Goo-Gone and there's no reaction- tried a harsher paint thinner and it didn't do anything either. I'm getting pretty bummed because it looks like the finish is actually ruined- does anybody have any advice?

-Josh

Last edited by joshknot; 04-19-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:24 PM
You guys are all right, i have an 06 coupe with 19" oem wheels and mine have these weird dark blemishes in the wheels and my car only has a 1000 miles on it. I work for a Nissan dealer and i am going to make a call to a friend who works at National(Nissan Headquarters) to find out if Nissan is aware of this problem and what they are going to do to remedy the situation. I will keep you guys informed.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by boste03
You guys are all right, i have an 06 coupe with 19" oem wheels and mine have these weird dark blemishes in the wheels and my car only has a 1000 miles on it. I work for a Nissan dealer and i am going to make a call to a friend who works at National(Nissan Headquarters) to find out if Nissan is aware of this problem and what they are going to do to remedy the situation. I will keep you guys informed.
Do your blemishes resemble mine in the pictures above?

-Josh

Old 04-19-2006, 03:49 PM
G SQUAD
They paint the rims black fisrt and they silver. The pictures posted before my reply looks like you ran over a paint can or tar ball. If it's paint, use your finger nails to remove.
I took me rims to a shop, that removed the paint and polished it out. It looks like a chrome rim. Maintances suck, Waxed about once a month, and clean with water every other two times out for a ride, Or every 100 miles. I have pictures, but I do know how to post it. I can PM it to you. The shop is on Long Island.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Yeah, exact same thing happened to my 19" OEM wheels, but it happened after I washed it, not the dealer. Now they are permanently stained. I have tried all kinds of cleaners, polishes, soaps, but nothing makes it even a little better. Unfortunately, I think they are ruined. I have no idea why, I just used regular soap like I have always used. I'm gonna try to get the dealer to replace them, but if not I guess try to get them refinished. Anyone know how much $$ to get them refinished at a shop? I heard ~$200 each from the stealer.
I am going through an ordeal with my local deal now same thing

They come from any type of acid that is used to remove break dust, It can not be left on for long, most detailers spay each wheel then rinse them off all at once. YOU CAN NOT DO THIS!!! It must be applied and rinsed 1 rim at a time.

My local dealer left it sitting on my rims and ruined them. It was the 1st time I had the car washed it was only 2 days old...

But now you know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black Spots on Rims