Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dead CD changer - possible to fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dead CD changer - possible to fix?

Hi all - 2004 G35 Coupe w/Bose. I made the mistake today of trying to switch CD's while driving over some bumps. The CD change was unsuccessful and now the CD player is basically dead. At this point in CD mode the radio says "PRESS EJECT" or "EJECT CD1" but trying to eject a CD or load a CD does nothing and the best I can get in CD mode is some beeps when I press the 1-6 buttons. No motor sounds at all so the eject/load mechanism is not even trying to do anything.

Not really interested in paying dealer to fix this given what it will probably cost, so my question is what are my other options?

a) is there any chance of being able to fix this myself without replacing anything? I.E. remove the unit and somehow unjam it, or is that a waste of time (too difficult to get into the inside of the CD changer once I've removed it from the dash?)

b) barring that, I am willing to be adventurous and try to buy a replacement unit myself and possibly install it myself if necessary, either OEM or something aftermarket with more features, but my priority is to minimize cost/effort if possible even if that just means not adding new features and restoring only existing functionality. Any suggestions for any after market 3rd party units that would do the job? Right now I think I'm seeing OEM units for about $250, so if any way to do it for less that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice / help.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by MachThree
Hi all - 2004 G35 Coupe w/Bose. I made the mistake today of trying to switch CD's while driving over some bumps. The CD change was unsuccessful and now the CD player is basically dead. At this point in CD mode the radio says "PRESS EJECT" or "EJECT CD1" but trying to eject a CD or load a CD does nothing and the best I can get in CD mode is some beeps when I press the 1-6 buttons. No motor sounds at all so the eject/load mechanism is not even trying to do anything.

Not really interested in paying dealer to fix this given what it will probably cost, so my question is what are my other options?

a) is there any chance of being able to fix this myself without replacing anything? I.E. remove the unit and somehow unjam it, or is that a waste of time (too difficult to get into the inside of the CD changer once I've removed it from the dash?)

b) barring that, I am willing to be adventurous and try to buy a replacement unit myself and possibly install it myself if necessary, either OEM or something aftermarket with more features, but my priority is to minimize cost/effort if possible even if that just means not adding new features and restoring only existing functionality. Any suggestions for any after market 3rd party units that would do the job? Right now I think I'm seeing OEM units for about $250, so if any way to do it for less that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice / help.
Not sure if your'e the one who asked a similar question on the Youtubes earlier, but if not, check out the 05+ procedure, it's probably very similar.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post6546535