Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by twelfelt
Hi! It's great to have a friendly detailer here to help us keep our rides looking as good as they run!

I am getting some body work done on my car - repairing a few deeper scratches and having some dents repaired. As part of the repair they will be repainting sections of my car.

I have a car show I'm entering that is 5 weeks away and I want the car to look as good as possible. A friend is willing to help me polish the car the week after I pick it up from the body shop, but I know I can't put any sealer on the vehicle for at least 30 days to let the paint cure.

My two questions are - #1 - will I further damage my car by polishing it a week after getting it back from the body shop? I live in Arizona and things seem to dry/cure pretty quickly out here, but I don't want to push my luck.
#2 - Will I have to polish my car again before putting a sealer (don't know if I'm going to go with a synthetic or a natural yet) on the car?

I'm not trying to place 1st in the car show (although it WOULD be pretty cool!) as my car is much more 'clean' than a lot of the really custom G's out here, but I would like to have it hold it's own among the crowd. I really, though, just want her to look as good as possible.
Glad to be on the forum and helping when I can. Consult the body shop if you want specific times, but generally you want to wait about a week before polishing. Wait 30 - 90 days before sealing or waxing it. I generally recommend a sealant for the durability but if it's just a show car waxing may be the better choice. You don't have to polish it before applying the sealant since you are doing it soon after the work is being done.

Let me know if you need any recommendations or help!

Greg

Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
im looking into SWISSVAX Glacier, and Opaque Premium wax for satin matt paints. Do you have expierance with it?

IP coupe, and matte would be for my new rims.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Can I substitute Lexol leather cleaner for prestine clean? I only have the oil at the momment and the shipping costs to get just the cleaner wouldn't be worth it because I don't have anything else to buy besides just the cleaner.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Gdriver90
im looking into SWISSVAX Glacier, and Opaque Premium wax for satin matt paints. Do you have expierance with it?

IP coupe, and matte would be for my new rims.
Thanks
I don't have experience with so I'm sorry I can't help you with that one.

Greg

Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by prinny
Can I substitute Lexol leather cleaner for prestine clean? I only have the oil at the momment and the shipping costs to get just the cleaner wouldn't be worth it because I don't have anything else to buy besides just the cleaner.
It's not ideal but you certainly can use it. Take care!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
It's not ideal but you certainly can use it. Take care!

Thanks and yup it still turned out pretty good afterwards

Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts
Afternoon Gentleman. I'm currently working on a 08 Saturn Vue. It's black with a few minor scratches. I am using a 7424 with a Orange lc pad and Menzerna SIP. How would you rate the GM paint as far as hardness? It seems to be cleaning up well, I just thought more of the minor scratches would come out. Suggestions?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porter Cable package recommendation

Hi Greg

I think I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a PC. Can you recommend what I should get (plates, pads, polishes, etc.)? I've been kinda scared to use something like this on my car in fear that I will screw up. I have been detailing my cars by hand all this time, but I have seen some swirls on one of my cars that is bugging me. These are the cars i will need to detail on a regular basis:

2004 Infiniti, G35 Brilliant Silver
2006 Toyota Highlander, Bluestone Metallic
2006 Honda Civic, Galaxy Grey Metallic

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gettinby
Afternoon Gentleman. I'm currently working on a 08 Saturn Vue. It's black with a few minor scratches. I am using a 7424 with a Orange lc pad and Menzerna SIP. How would you rate the GM paint as far as hardness? It seems to be cleaning up well, I just thought more of the minor scratches would come out. Suggestions?

GM paint should be pretty soft in general, but each car is different so you'll never know exactly how hard or soft the paint might be. If you're looking for something that would be more effective for the deeper scratches and imperfections on the paint then maybe look into a stronger compound?

Maybe Meguiar's M105 or Menzerna Power Gloss.

If not those then you maybe can try this.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Meguiar...nus-P518/5-S1/

I plan on trying it myself soon because i've heard that the results are amazing and there's less effort required.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts
/\ thanks, I will. Most of the scratch comes out but still a little there. I'll bump the polish up a notch.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Gettinby
prinny had some good advice for you. The Surbuf R Series MicroFingers Buffing Pads are also good option to work in those products like the SIP or the Megs 105 before moving up to the Power Gloss, etc. Remember some fine scratches may actually require rather aggressive care so you have to have reasonable expectations. With your buffer make sure it's on speed 6 moving nice and slow with overlapping passes and light to medium pressure on the buffer. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg

Old 04-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just placed an order, using the discount code, and it said it wasn't available with the item I ordered, is that right? It said it was applied, but no discount..
order #61367

Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Really thinking about switching to Meguiar's DA Microfiber correction system, but was wondering about the life of the pads.. like are they durable as compared to the ordinary pads?

I did a another paint correction job this weekend on an Audi TT and I ended up going through four 4inch pads. Using M105 on the first orange one.. the center of the pad just tore out on it's own even before finishing half of the car with. The second one barely made it through. It's definitely not usable for another application. I was using a green pad with M205 and that pad was done around half and I ended with a white pad with M205.

Is this normal to go through pads like this?

Last edited by prinny; 04-18-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:54 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
What do you guys recommend for carpet cleaning? A brush and a certain kind of spot/carpet cleaner??

Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
I just placed an order, using the discount code, and it said it wasn't available with the item I ordered, is that right? It said it was applied, but no discount..
order #61367
Our percent off discount codes do not apply to sale items, DI Packages and tools. So if you used a valid coupon code during at the time of purchase it would not discount those items but everything else would receive the discount. The red text below each item specifically outlines if the discount code reduces the price and if yes how much. With your order you selected a DI Package so that is why the coupon code did not reduce the price. The DI Packages have already significantly reduced prices so we just can't have additional discount. I apologize for any confusion if you didn't see some of this information at checkout.

Greg @ DI

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...