Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
follow up question... any good product for cleaning the wheel well? and how to keep them dark after a wash...

Old 04-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by markcg09
follow up question... any good product for cleaning the wheel well? and how to keep them dark after a wash...
I'd suggest the Chemical Guys Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray which can help clean and protect the wheel wells and under carriage. Check out the pictures below which are linked to an awesome article about the Bare Bones product.

BEFORE

AFTER

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI

Old 04-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by ImElvis
I was wondering what's the best way to clean finger oils off regular and tinted windows? It drives me nuts! I tried wiping for about a minute in a spot and all it did was smudge it all over the place.
The Chemical Guys Window Clean is a good window cleaner that can definitely remove oils from your hand. I'd highly recommend applying a light amount to a clean microfiber towel and wiping with light pressure, follow up with a separate microfiber towel to remove any remaining residue. Two towels is critical and don't use too much product. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI

Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Greg,

I'm interested in this product... Chemical Guys BLACK LIGHT- HYBRID RADIANT FINISH. This is a strict sealant correct?

I am planning on topping it with Pete's 53. My sedan is Twilight Blue( Very Dark!!!)

I haven't seen too many reviews so far about it. I'm wondering about its longevity compared to Klasse HGSG as I'm inToronto, so we get a long winter season.

Thx for your help!!!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks a lot Greg

-Mark

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I'd suggest the Chemical Guys Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray which can help clean and protect the wheel wells and under carriage. Check out the pictures below which are linked to an awesome article about the Bare Bones product.

BEFORE

AFTER

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI

Old 05-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, just purchased the porter cable 7424xp and wondering if you can give me some helpful tips on how to use it. First, the deal included four pads, so I picked up the orange, white, gray and red pads. Stood away from the yellow because it seemed to be too agressive of a pad. I do have swirls marks, more on some parts of the car than others, also some light scratches here and there.

I have the poor boys polishes, sealant & colinite 545 I believe. I know it has sealant and wax combined. Also, rejex sealant, last but not least I have 3m glaze.

Just wondering which pads to use, I know I should use the orange pad first, but which one do I follow it with. Also, do I apply any pressure on the porter cable? Or just past it lightly using the weight of the machine and what speed should I use? Turned it on last night and it was on 9, seemed really powerful.
Should I clay first? I clayed it a couple of weeks ago, not sure if I should do it again.

Thanks for any info!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the best way to remove polish residue after polishing? also, i have dried wax and stuff in the cracks... easiest way to strip that?

i plan on detailing again soon

Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 35bills
Greg,

I'm interested in this product... Chemical Guys BLACK LIGHT- HYBRID RADIANT FINISH. This is a strict sealant correct?

I am planning on topping it with Pete's 53. My sedan is Twilight Blue( Very Dark!!!)

I haven't seen too many reviews so far about it. I'm wondering about its longevity compared to Klasse HGSG as I'm inToronto, so we get a long winter season.

Thx for your help!!!
BlackLight is a hybrid sealant/wax. It will last longer than your traditional carnauba wax (3-6 weeks) but not as long as a sealant (3-6 months) and it will give more shine/depth than a sealant but not as great as a traditional carnauba wax. It is a great in between product that gives you a little bit of both worlds of LSP's.

I don't think it will last quite as long as HGSG but it's also not as hard to remove as HGSG.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jrhykushi
What is the best way to remove polish residue after polishing? also, i have dried wax and stuff in the cracks... easiest way to strip that?

Use a foam applicator pad or a microfiber towel with rubbing alcohol. ALWAYS want to make sure that you get off ALL the polish residue before you apply wax or sealant or else it'll leave this nasty looking stuff behind that'll be difficult to remove.

I had a problem with the dried wax and stuff in the cracks too. Toothbrush or something that can reach down there maybe?

Originally Posted by albert3029
Hey, just purchased the porter cable 7424xp and wondering if you can give me some helpful tips on how to use it. First, the deal included four pads, so I picked up the orange, white, gray and red pads. Stood away from the yellow because it seemed to be too agressive of a pad. I do have swirls marks, more on some parts of the car than others, also some light scratches here and there.

I have the poor boys polishes, sealant & colinite 545 I believe. I know it has sealant and wax combined. Also, rejex sealant, last but not least I have 3m glaze.

Just wondering which pads to use, I know I should use the orange pad first, but which one do I follow it with. Also, do I apply any pressure on the porter cable? Or just past it lightly using the weight of the machine and what speed should I use? Turned it on last night and it was on 9, seemed really powerful.
Should I clay first? I clayed it a couple of weeks ago, not sure if I should do it again.

Thanks for any info!

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...ide/Polishing/

Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
BlackLight is a hybrid sealant/wax. It will last longer than your traditional carnauba wax (3-6 weeks) but not as long as a sealant (3-6 months) and it will give more shine/depth than a sealant but not as great as a traditional carnauba wax. It is a great in between product that gives you a little bit of both worlds of LSP's.

I don't think it will last quite as long as HGSG but it's also not as hard to remove as HGSG.
HGSG is a real pain to remove!!!!
Do you think it would last longer if its topped with a traditional carnauba wax like Pete's 53?

What I'm looking for is something that would last the 4-6months but is alot easier to remove. I like Klasse very much but its a real time buster!!!!

Any other suggestions for a pure sealant?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Do you think it would last longer if its topped with a traditional carnauba wax like Pete's 53?

What I'm looking for is something that would last the 4-6months but is alot easier to remove. I like Klasse very much but its a real time buster!!!!

I would recommend:

Blackfire Wet Diamond
Menzerna Power Lock

I personally use Menzerna Power Lock on all my customers cars and rarely top it with a wax. It always looks fantastic on any color, it's easy on/off and I wouldn't dream of detailing without it!

You can top off either one of those sealants with Pete's 53, just make sure you wait 24 hours between removing the sealant and applying the wax.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Greg,

Thx for your help!!!
Sorry for the slow response guys we've been extremely busy. I'll get to all your questions now!

Unfortunately we do not ship directly to any international address at this time. If you would like to use a drop shipping company like bongous.com they will give you a US address that you can have packages sent to and then forwarded to you. You can also potentially have it shipped to friends or family in the US, if that is an option for you. If you have any other questions please let me know. The Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish is a sealant but it's one of the few sealants that is much more focus on the gloss factor than durability. It should hold up pretty well even in the tough winter months. It may not last as long as some premium sealants but the gloss is better than the majority of high end sealants I've tested. The Chemical Guys Pete's '53 Black Pearl Signature Paste Wax is a popular option to put on top! If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI

Old 05-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by albert3029

Thanks for any info!
For detailed instructions please check out the polishing section of our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog. After reading that let me know if you have any questions. I think you are referring to speed 6, probably just read it upside down. I generally use it on speed 6 when polishing but speed 4 - 6 is acceptable. I apply light pressure so the pad slows down slightly but not too much. I take a black marker and put it on my backing plate so I can see how fast the backing plate is spinning and how the pressure I'm applying is affecting it.

After washing and drying using a clay bar is a great step to deep clean the paint. The DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay is a great choice if you need a bar and lube. I use this on brand new vehicles and ones with several years of build ups on it.

There are so many combos you could use with the products you listed. There is no one best combo but I'll outline what I think I would use.

SSR 2.5 - Orange Pad
SSR 1 - White Pad
Rejex - Black/grey
Collonite 845? - Blue Pad or by hand

Again you have so many more products so more steps could be added but these are the core ones I would do. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI

Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by jrhykushi

Right after polishing a clean microfiber towel is ideal. Usually when I polish I need at least 2 - 3 towels, where as with sealants, glazes and waxes 1 - 2 towels is the minimum. The DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel and the DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel are two great examples. If this polish has tried try a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol or IPA. If it's in the cracks soak a clean microfiber towel on it and work it in there. I generally don't use a toothbrush as the bristles can cause micro-marring. Never use a brush that previously was used with toothpaste. The Poorboy's World Trim Restorer is a great product to get sealant, wax or polish off the plastic, rubber, vinyl, etc. It deep cleans and restores a dark finish to these surfaces. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

I agree the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger or the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant would be my top two choices. Both of them are very durable, look great and apply/remove with ease. Adding a coat of wax on top helps any sealant last a bit longer and it adds more initial protection and gloss.

Greg @ DI

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...