Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
^^ for 100-200 dollars you can get lots of stuff. for compound and polish you might just want get the meguiars, the combo 105 and 205 will do their job easily. why dont you get rotary instead of random orbit?? however, since 105 and 205 will do best with rotary, just go get the ultimate compound and ultimate polish from meg's. (not the profesional line).. and for the wax, its up to you. either fully synthetic or pure carnauba. i suggest get pinnacle souveran. total will be around 130 without pad.. for pads, you might want to look for 3m or chemical guys hex pad.. get the yellow for compound/cutting, green light if haze/hologram there with less aggresive compound, and blue light for polish. for wax, get it done by hand. hope it helps.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFloVan
What's the best buffer I could get for $150? For detailing purposes such as buffing, waxing, etc.

And what's the difference between and orbital one and a non-orbital one?
random orbital, is pretty much saying much safer than rotary. because it will not burn paint as you keep a constant pressure on the paint. for rotary, is the best tool for pro detailer as it will do the job easier and quicker. for 150, get dewalt DWP849 for rotary or megs g110v2 and porter cable 7427xp for random orbital

Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do headlight glass repair kits work? I have an 04 G35 coupe and its headlights have a slight film on them. Cant seem to wash it off. Do those kits that make it look brand new actually work? What would you recommend for me to use. I already have a bunch of product I got from you. Trying to remember what is in my garage. Random orbital. Mcguires kit, clay bar and lube, and a paint sealer.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used the Meguires headlight restore kit on my hazed out headlights and it worked great.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
Alright im a noobie and i have a question from the man himself, if you had $100-$200 dollars and a brand new 7424xp on your doorstep, looking at a pretty severely swirled lazer red G35, what would you buy? I am reading around but honestly overwhelmed with the number of different articles suggesting different items. I am looking into the poorboys kits, i need a good compound (my mirrors are faded to hell) and would like a good "wet" and shiny look, but more important is the fact that the car is not garaged, so i need weather protection and something that seals really well. I am looking only for paint correction as i have the headlights and interior stuff i am very happy with.

Pad suggestions are always welcome as well.
bump for mr detailed image answer, tahnks for the above responses!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFloVan
What's the best buffer I could get for $150? For detailing purposes such as buffing, waxing, etc.

And what's the difference between and orbital one and a non-orbital one?
I would highly recommend the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer, it has the power necessary to work in a polish and you can use quality foam pads with it. The really low cost options often come with cheap bonnets that can easily mar the paint and they don't have enough power for polishes.

Within your budget I'd suggest this package deal - DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 6.5" Basic Kit. With any of our DI Package you can select the pads(s) of your choice. If you need help selecting any pads, polishes, waxes, etc. please let me know! We are also offering free s/h on orders over $99 this month. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

If it's not orbital it's probably a rotary. Rotary buffers generate a ton of power so a lot more practice is needed to master them, where as the PC 7424 XP mentioned above anyone can use with ease. Rotary buffers can potentially burn the paint and they can skip in your hand when you start learning. Rotaries used to be more necessary but with the advancements in polishes and pad technology they are far less popular.

Greg @ DI

Last edited by Detailed Image; 12-05-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Alright im a noobie and i have a question from the man himself, if you had $100-$200 dollars and a brand new 7424xp on your doorstep, looking at a pretty severely swirled lazer red G35, what would you buy? I am reading around but honestly overwhelmed with the number of different articles suggesting different items. I am looking into the poorboys kits, i need a good compound (my mirrors are faded to hell) and would like a good "wet" and shiny look, but more important is the fact that the car is not garaged, so i need weather protection and something that seals really well. I am looking only for paint correction as i have the headlights and interior stuff i am very happy with.

I would suggest the following kit - DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Basic Kit (you may want to pick up one extra pad of each color). Use the M105 with the cyan pad and follow it up with the M205 and a tangerine pad. This should help remove the swirls and help reveal a deep shine. If you still have any funds left over apply a quality sealant like the Rejex Sealant. This can be applied by hand or pick up the blue pad from Lake Country and use the buffer. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI

The following users liked this post:
06g35meister (12-09-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Bphillips330
Do headlight glass repair kits work? I have an 04 G35 coupe and its headlights have a slight film on them. Cant seem to wash it off. Do those kits that make it look brand new actually work? What would you recommend for me to use. I already have a bunch of product I got from you. Trying to remember what is in my garage. Random orbital. Mcguires kit, clay bar and lube, and a paint sealer.
Some of the ones on TV are a bit of a gimic but in general yes you can restore your headlights. We have several articles here about Headlight Restoration, where a variety of solutions were used.

We have three kits as well that may suit your needs:
DI Packages Headlight Restoration Advanced Kit
Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit
Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI

Old 12-06-2011, 08:37 AM
What is your opinion on the turtle wax polish and wax? I bought this brand b/c it was less expensive. I used it but didn't seem to get the right finish. The paint blemishes also stood out more. I guess some of the wax got caught in the chipping of the paint and now it seems it is more apparent.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:18 AM
So I know nothing about paint on cars. The paint on the rear bumper of my G35 is what I assume to be cracked, but I am not sure. The damage was done due to people who can't drive and parallel park here in NYC. So my question is can this be fixed and if so, how would I go about fixing it?

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Alright im a noobie and i have a question from the man himself, if you had $100-$200 dollars and a brand new 7424xp on your doorstep, looking at a pretty severely swirled lazer red G35, what would you buy? I am reading around but honestly overwhelmed with the number of different articles suggesting different items. I am looking into the poorboys kits, i need a good compound (my mirrors are faded to hell) and would like a good "wet" and shiny look, but more important is the fact that the car is not garaged, so i need weather protection and something that seals really well. I am looking only for paint correction and the headlights, but the interior stuff i have i am very happy with.

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I would suggest the following kit - DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Basic Kit (you may want to pick up one extra pad of each color). Use the M105 with the cyan pad and follow it up with the M205 and a tangerine pad. This should help remove the swirls and help reveal a deep shine. If you still have any funds left over apply a quality sealant like the Rejex Sealant. This can be applied by hand or pick up the blue pad from Lake Country and use the buffer. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
I have the buffer already, is there a package for everything without the buffer? Package deal, etc.? Also I was looking at the headlight restoration kit which includes the stuff i need, but is 8oz enough to do the car and the headlights?

Last edited by 06g35meister; 12-09-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hahnx
So I know nothing about paint on cars. The paint on the rear bumper of my G35 is what I assume to be cracked, but I am not sure. The damage was done due to people who can't drive and parallel park here in NYC. So my question is can this be fixed and if so, how would I go about fixing it?

Thanks!
That paint is in really bad shape. The paint is cracked and scratched down to the bare plastic. You're going to have to get the whole bumper resprayed at a shop to get it to look right. Ivory Pearl is a hard paint to match. Good Luck.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by miltoda
That paint is in really bad shape. The paint is cracked and scratched down to the bare plastic. You're going to have to get the whole bumper resprayed at a shop to get it to look right. Ivory Pearl is a hard paint to match. Good Luck.
When I bought the car from my cousin, he said that he bought two bottles of ivory paint from the Infiniti dealership. Trying to do it myself with the paint isn't really going to look nice huh? He did say it was really hard to match it with the paint =(

Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
how do you guys usually clean you LC pads? I just used a blue pad for the headlights (plastix).

I bought the snappy cleaner, but think that it's a waste just for a little plastix.

also, do you guys usually just polish (i have jetseal 109) your headlights when polishing the car?

thanks!!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Also, how do you tape the rubbe mouldings on the roof? Do you cut the tape or buy really thin tape?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...