Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Dead engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dead engine

Car died on me a few weeks ago. So I've had the car since 2010. Its an 05 coupe 6mt rev up. About a year into owning the vehicle I noticed the car would make a chattering kind of noise when I was low on oil. Almost as if it was a heat shield rattling. I took it into Nissan the first time it happened. The mechanic there said you low on oil. I figured it was normal. I was like 2k over due on an oil change. This problem became progressively worse. even though I was keeping up on my oil changes this noise would start as I was nearing 3k miles. In my head I'm like this oil is burning off way too fast. Went in for my next oil change and told them about the problem. They suggested they use a different kind of oil. Ok, fine. Nearing the next oil change, same thing happens rattling sound again. I checked my oil level and its low. This time its happening even sooner than before. Life issues started happening and sort of distracted me from car issues. Did all my oil changes, started adding motor oil myself until it was time for an oil change. about a month ago the noise happened again but this time it sounded a little more aggressive than ever before. I added oil. The noise stayed with me this time. I'm like oh **** something is really wrong. Took it for an oil change explained the problem. They inspected the car or they say they did. Changed the oil and found no problems. drove the car away the noise was there but not as loud. figured It really might be a heat shield. Thought id take it to another Nissan and see what they say. Never did. Few weeks later I'm on my way to orientation for school and the car just stops. I was able to roll to safety and out of traffic. Tried to start the car, nothing happened when I turned the key. No noise, nothing. just silent. I turned the key to accessory and everything worked. radio, horn, seats. Got out the car checked the alternator belt. still intact. I figured this is the result of that noise I've been living with. towed the car to Nissan. Paid them the diagnostic fee. They say its definitely and engine problem. Suggested replacing the engine. quoted me about 5k for a used engine with 60k mikes on it with labor. I don't have that kind of money. Towed the car to the shop I had install my clutch about a year ago. He says the same thing. Engine. Suggested replacing it because a tear down of the engine would cost me a lot more. I'm at a loss right now and don't know what to do. I still owe on the car. And was hoping it would last me until the end of the loan so I can then save for a house. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe you guys can come up with a solution I haven't thought of. Btw I did try to get another car. I didn't get approved for carrying over the 9k I owe on the car to a new loan.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE: Well I sought out help elsewhere. Just to help anyone else out there that might happen to be in a similar situation. So The friend of a friend that was supposed to be looking for the engine was giving me the run around. every time I called he would say call back in a few days I haven't located and engine yet. So I'm like **** this. I call Nissan and tell them what's going in. Tow the car there. They give me a nice fully loaded 2015 maxima to drive in the meantime. Guy was friendly so I told him to take his time fixing the car. I'm going to need all the time I can get to put this dough together. He calls me back the next day say he has good and bad news. The car can be fixed and an engine with about 60k on it was found close by. My engine had about 120k. He says when they pulled out the engine they found metal pieces in there that came from the converters. Said they both had to be replaced or the new engine would suffer the same fate. I'm like fine. Total with engine, work and cats was $7100. He really dragged the job along like I asked had the maxima for a little over a month. Was able to get the money and I'm back on the road. I asked what caused this and how can I prevent this from happening again. He said its a rare occurrence. he's been working there for over 7 years and this is the second car that has had this problem in his time there. The first he said was a maxima. He said try to always use premium fuel that's about all I can do to somewhat safeguard myself. Hope this helped someone, I was so lost on this journey trying to figure this **** out. Also when I was hearing the rattle in the engine before all of this happened. The rep there said it probably could have been saved at that time if I would have brought it in. This is a while different Nissan dealership that was maybe 30 miles out of the way. I was super heated with the one I usually go to telling me its something that happens to these cars over time as they age and it was nothing to worry about. Just carry an extra quart of oil in the car at all times. smh