Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Only Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Go Back   G35Driver > Tech Area - V35 > Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to G35Driver.com!
Welcome to G35Driver.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join G35Driver.com community today!

submit to reddit

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Points: 7,303, Level: 56 Points: 7,303, Level: 56 Points: 7,303, Level: 56
Level up: 77%, 47 Points needed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 1.1%
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to CouperDouper
NISMO Radiator Cap

There are very few posts regarding the NISMO high pressure radiator cap. I am aware that the consensus is that it does nothing other than look different, but I am interested to know whether using it could cause any damage. Some say that it increases cooling efficiency, others that it makes your engine run hotter. I'm sure I'll get the ususal smarta** responses from those that enjoy doing so, but hopefully one or two people that have true knowledge of the part and it's function, will respond. It's hard to believe that NISMO would manufacture and sell something that would harm Nissan vehicles without providing information on the the applications, benefits, precautions, etc. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Points: 9,930, Level: 66 Points: 9,930, Level: 66 Points: 9,930, Level: 66
Level up: 70%, 120 Points needed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
2004 Infiniti G35

Send a message via AIM to n1cK
no smart @$$ comments here! but seriously, the nismo radiator cap has a different pressure set-point than the stock cap, meaning that it will open at a higher pressure than the stock cap. will it make a difference while driving on the street? no. will you see a performance gain (as far as horsepower)? no. if you use it in conjunction with the nismo thermostat, and run it on the track ALL the time, will you see a difference then? probably, if you're engine's built for it. hope that helps!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Points: 7,303, Level: 56 Points: 7,303, Level: 56 Points: 7,303, Level: 56
Level up: 77%, 47 Points needed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 1.1%
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to CouperDouper
Thanks, n1cK! I guess my main concern is if I will be doing harm by using one for cosmetic reasons. I have the NISMO polished billet oil cap along with chrome intake, engine bolts, and various other chrome parts under the hood, which make the stock radiator cap look a little dull - thus my interest in replacing it. Most of the dealers that sell them tout it as performance enhancing, but I understand there is a giant disclaimer on the back of the box which makes it sound like unless your G is used strictgly on the track, you're going to ruin your engine. Very confusing...
Old 04-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Points: 9,296, Level: 64 Points: 9,296, Level: 64 Points: 9,296, Level: 64
Level up: 82%, 54 Points needed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 1.2%
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
Garage is empty, add now

Remember that many things that are sold as "NISMO" really are not. Particularly if bought off E-bay, most NISMO badged products are knock-off generic products produced as cheaply as possible, and simply have a NISMO sticker applied.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouperDouper
There are very few posts regarding the NISMO high pressure radiator cap. I am aware that the consensus is that it does nothing other than look different, but I am interested to know whether using it could cause any damage. Some say that it increases cooling efficiency, others that it makes your engine run hotter. I'm sure I'll get the ususal smarta** responses from those that enjoy doing so, but hopefully one or two people that have true knowledge of the part and it's function, will respond. It's hard to believe that NISMO would manufacture and sell something that would harm Nissan vehicles without providing information on the the applications, benefits, precautions, etc. Thanks.
I've yet to truely understand the real world technical advantages of a high pressure radiator cap or a low temperature thermostat when combined with the stock radiator. I covered these G35 / 350Z cooling system issues in "Keepin' the VQ Cool" (Sport Z Magazine, Spring 2005).

The stock cap is rated at 0.9 bar (13.05 psia). The high dollar radiator caps offer bling at 1.3 bar (18.85 psia). I chose the Nissan 300ZXTT Radiator Cap - 1.2 bar (17.40 psia) - for $10.25.

DaveO
G35 Editor
Sport Z Magazine
Attached Thumbnails
NISMO Radiator Cap-nissan-300zxtt-radiator-cap.jpg  

Last edited by DaveO; 04-08-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:34 PM

submit to reddit

Tags
benefits, cap, caps, difference, driver, g35, low, lower, makes, nismo, pressure, radiator, smart, sport, temp