Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Blew my Motor? Help Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew my Motor? Help Please

So it was nice today, in the mid 60's, so I did the first third gear pull on the G since I have the Vortech installed. She pulled hard, but I started to smell oil, so I backed off. I was .5 miles from the house so I continued home and got her in the garage, she ran fine, but I opened the hood and smoke was coming from the back/side of the drivers side motor.

Looking closer, it looks like Oil blew by my dipstick. Is that even possible? I have the new V-3, so there are not oil lines into my pan. I checked my oil level and it is pretty close to the H. Does the oil pressure go up when boosting? Could the shop that does the oil put to much in and it blew by the dipstick?

Thoughts?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The oil pressure goes up every time you put your foot on the gas - the more foot, the more pressure. It sounds like the oil coming out the dipstick is the source of your smoke and your motor is not actually blown - or it wouldn't run "fine". If the dipstick was properly seated when you checked it, oil should not have leaked form there. Check around to see if the source of the oil was from somewhere else.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Does your motor still start? If it does, it's probably not blown.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Yup she starts, and my AF reads normal at Idle, Boost Vac normal, Fuel Pressure Normal and Temp is normal as well.

The dipstick might have been slightly loose, but I wasn't really paying attention.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Than any problems should be minor, sounds like you'll be alright, let us know if there's anything pops up though.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
does not sound like a blown motor

Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver350GT
Yup she starts, and my AF reads normal at Idle, Boost Vac normal, Fuel Pressure Normal and Temp is normal as well.

The dipstick might have been slightly loose, but I wasn't really paying attention.
lol that happen to me. i started to get alil smoke. so ijust readjusted the dip

Old 03-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to invest in a better PCV system. Sounds like crancase pressure to me, install a breather somewhere so this doesn't happen again. This is basic knowledge when boosting a N/A engine.

You didn't blow your engine.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 AM
If your vacuum is normal, then your compression is good and that means your motor is ok. There is a crankcase breather hose at the rear of the driver side engine bay. Make sure it is plugged in correctly.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Took her out this morning, and everything appears to be OK. I am going to check the Crank case vent etc, but otherwise I think we are good.

I didn't think I needed an Oil Pressure gauge since I was going with the V-3, but should I get one? I am not sure where I would mount it, but it sounds like if I had known the pressure was increasing I could have backed out of boost, or does it happen so fast, it won't have done me any good?

Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Normally an oil pressure problem is lack of pressure, not too much pressure. I have an AutoMeter Nexus oil pressure gauge - the whole dial will turn red if the pressure drops below my set minimum. There is no maximum pressure warning. Also, if you are experiencing added pressure in your crankcase, you will not see that from the oil pressure gauge.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Dv8
Happened to me too. dipstick wasnt fully seated (plunged) and thus oil came shooting out. Smoke and smell. Good think its not blown.

~Dv8

Old 03-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver350GT
So it was nice today, in the mid 60's, so I did the first third gear pull on the G since I have the Vortech installed. She pulled hard, but I started to smell oil, so I backed off. I was .5 miles from the house so I continued home and got her in the garage, she ran fine, but I opened the hood and smoke was coming from the back/side of the drivers side motor.

Looking closer, it looks like Oil blew by my dipstick. Is that even possible? I have the new V-3, so there are not oil lines into my pan. I checked my oil level and it is pretty close to the H. Does the oil pressure go up when boosting? Could the shop that does the oil put to much in and it blew by the dipstick?

Thoughts?
Yes, blowing out the dipstick is fairly common, especially for vortech cars. I highly doubt it was your dipstick. We thought I had that problem on my car but what it really was, was a bad valvecover gasket on the driver's side (which everybody has to replace shortly after going FI).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew my Motor? Help Please