The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my car back. They did an oil change and drove it, said its fine. Ran some tests didnt find anything. Guess Ill be checking my oil levels from here on. Good luck everyone

Old 08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
When I bought my car I set up a meeting with the service manager, I compiled a list of questions, most I got from reading the posts on here (thank you everyone!) and I was told about the oil usage with our cars. I was told to check the oil every 1500 to 2000 miles and that I would probably need to add 1/2 to 1 quart between oil changes at every 3000 miles. I didn't really understand the explanation something about the piston heads being slightly textured and actually breaking down and using oil. (I could have gotten this wrong, dont quote me!!) So last week at 1600 I checked the oil in the morning before work and sure enough it was a little more than 1/2 qt low. I added 1/2 quart and will take it in right at 3000 miles for the first oil change. I was also told not to bother with the synthetic oil since your constantly adding oil it would just be a waste of money. I will be keeping track of how much I add and the dates just in case something happens. It really is a pain!
Lisa

Old 08-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, this thread made me check mine tonight... at about 3500 miles I was maybe 1/3 down, but the car had only been sitting for a few minutes. I'm using M1 extended performance, so I plan on changing it at about 4-4.5K intervals.

I've been told that when Nissan started upping their HP numbers, and changed the VQ series engine from 3.0L to 3.5L Toyota actually published a statement that they were not going to get into a horsepower race with Nissan. I think much of their HP gains came by building a looser engine...

Heath

Old 08-31-2006, 02:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
BUMP.....
Me too on excessive oil consumption. 2006 6mt.
Mine is getting worse.
One quart low (2400mi) between first oil change.
Two quarts added between first 3780mi and second 7700mi. oil change with the last of those quarts disappearing in 1200mi.
Dealer told me today that it's acceptable consumption 1 quart/1000mi. per Nissan and will not do anything warranty wise untill that consumption threashold is exceeded.
Nice....$40K vehicle that uses a quart/1000mi.
That BLOWS!!!

Least got my dealer to note on their computer my consumption so it's at least documented and I have paperwork stating such. ('customer has to put a qt of oil every 1,000 miles') Guess I'll bring it in everytime it's a quart low so they can document the useage and see when it uses a quart under 1000mi. What a PITA.
At this rate, cuz it's getting worse (and I don't drive it like I stole it very often) I'll be yelling for a new engine before I hit 10K.
Guess I should call Infiniti Corp C.S. too so it's documented with them as well. Plus another rev-up VQ35DE owner with this problem for their documentation.

Oh...as far as mods go with this problem, dealer or Infiniti has to prove first that the mod caused this condition or failure, otherwise they can't deny your warranty. It's called the 'Magnuson-Moss Act'... look here ---> http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8124 see attatchment 'A' at bottom of site page. That's the Mag-Moss Act.
BUT...the MREV is for off-road usage only, so IDK about that one.

Good luck everyone with this problem...think we're gonna need it.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 08-31-2006 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:51 AM
I have an 05 6MT and will be checking the oil in just a few minutes, but I wanted to see where ResIspa got with his dealer - especially if he is an attorney.

I also wanted to point out that just because Infiniti says that 1 qt / 1,000 miles is acceptable to them, it doesn't mean that it is correct. There is such a thing as legal prescedent and "normal" standards by which these things can be compared. In other words, if most equivalent engines sold today use no oil / 1,000 miles, yet the VQ uses a quart, Inifiniti has a real problem that has to be addressed. Unfortunately, the only way something like this will ever be resolved is through a court action and unless it is a class action suit, it probably will not result in a TSB.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:37 PM
6MT Coupe
Agree 100%....
I'm very curious as to ResIspa's outcome as well.
Class Action Suit...I'll jump aboard in a heartbeat.
Never in all my years of vehicle ownership (33) have I had such oil consumption. I find this completely unacceptable especially in todays engine standards.

Quick suggestion:
I've found with the retarded dipstick and location, it's best to check your oil level when it's been sitting for awhile and on level ground (of course level ground is a no brainer). Otherwise, say at a gas station with the engine off for only a short time, there's so much oil still up in the tube, it transfers to the stick and makes it very hard to actually know accurately where your level is at no matter how many times you wipe and reinsert.
Just my experience, for what it's worth.

The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (07-16-2015)
Old 08-31-2006, 01:57 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Agree 100%....
Never in all my years of vehicle ownership (33) have I had such oil consumption. I find this completely unacceptable especially in todays engine standards.

Quick suggestion:
I've found with the retarded dipstick and location, it's best to check your oil level when it's been sitting for awhile and on level ground (of course level ground is a no brainer). Otherwise, say at a gas station with the engine off for only a short time, there's so much oil still up in the tube, it transfers to the stick and makes it very hard to actually know accurately where your level is at no matter how many times you wipe and reinsert.
Good suggestions, CPV. Getting used to taking an accurate oil level reading is an 'art' in the VQ engine, but with a little patience, it can be done.
Good luck with the consumption issue....I agree wholeheartedly that consumption to that degree is not "normal".
Like you, I've not experienced any consumption with any of my engines, including the 2 G's I've had and the present M, and I would be hopping mad if there was any consumption such as you've described.

Keep a close eye on the problem and update Nissan/Infiniti, and your dealer, regularly...I'd suggest keeping a log of all the pertinent details, if you're not already doing so.

I think that Nissan will do something if they're pushed far enough. Give 'em hell....

G/L and keep us informed
Colin.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I'll jump aboard in a heartbeat.
Never in all my years of vehicle ownership (33) have I had such oil consumption. I find this completely unacceptable especially in todays engine standards...
Doesn't our VQ have a LEV rating? Makes it even more odd to me, considering the amount of oil consumption so many see.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:13 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
Doesn't our VQ have a LEV rating? Makes it even more odd to me, considering the amount of oil consumption so many see.
Very good point.
What's strange to me is some ppl actually see blue smoke, which makes it obvious and LEV's would be through the roof.
But with my consumption, no exterior visual or physical proof I'm blowing oil through my tails.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, back from the dealership yesterday. I took the MREV off the night before. Of course I snapped a lower plenum bolt in the top of the engine. Stupid mistake...forgot to add the lower collector spacer and the bolt bottomed out. Guess what, 60 inch pounds of twisting force will break a stock plenum bolt. Finally got a ride to Wal-Mart and bought a screw extractor. Good way to make a 2 hour job a 7 hour stressful job.

Regardless, the dealership did not notice anything had been recently tampered with. They told me to start my 500 mile oil consumption tests. The service writer then told me about his discussion with the head mechanic about “the proper way to break in the car.” They were arguing about whether you should drive it like a “grandma” or drive it “like you stole it.” Unsure if he was looking for information on whether I followed the correct break in I replied “who knows, I bought the thing with 800 miles.”

He then told me that it takes some of our cars 15,000 miles for the rings to properly seat. I let him know that I have been researching this problem and even called a radio show.
I reiterated how much noise the engine was making and how any mechanic will tell you that the damage has been done. This is when things got a little tense.

I’ll let you now in 500.

I forgot to mention. They said their were no codes, no visible smoke, and no leaks.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree 100%....

Quick suggestion:
As long as they give me a new engine and a suitable loaner, I'm happy.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:33 PM
6MT Coupe
Interesting on the break-in discussion at your Dealer. Good answer BTW.

My paperwork yesterday also noted oil level okay (this is BS cuz I check before I started her that morning it was approx. 1/3 quart low with only 600 mi. from the 2nd quart I had added) and paper work also stated No codes and Alphas OK.
What the heck is/are Alphas
Humm...and it goes on to say: 'some oil usage in normal. Varies depending on driving habits' Ha!! They threw in a little CYA for themselves. Still that's BS in my book. And some is not a quart/1000 mi. Or my case so far the worst and most recent being 1200mi/quart.

Keep us posted on those 500mi checks. I'm taking mine in everytime she's a quart low for documentation and paper trail, plus saving every reciept on extra oil added with mileage. Would love to hear them try saying I drained some oil out, wouldn't put it past them to try that one to make me look as it's my fault the rev-up VQ's have an oil ring problem or whatever it may be.. Looks like it's currently blamed on my driving habits.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:53 PM
I've found with the retarded dipstick and location...
You should try it when you have plumbing in the way

Old 08-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
I had an engine oil consumption issue during the first 1200 miles. After the 4 tests, the engine was consuming some 1/2 pint at 1500 miles. Now, at some 21k miles, I add a quart of oil between every oil change, which is every 2.5k. I check my engine oil level weekly if not more often. I installed the makeshift oil catch can that DaveO presented . . . And I have noticed that when the G is driven moderately to hard, the catch can fills up quite quickly.

This catch can that your using. is it the one that catches from valve cover instead of letting the oil go to the intake.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been noticing on the exhaust that the bottom of the tips are black. I have 2100 miles on the car. is the black on the exhaust normal. I would think so because of fumes and crap that comes out of the exhaust. just wondering.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!