The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Agree 100%....
I'm very curious as to ResIspa's outcome as well.
Class Action Suit...I'll jump aboard in a heartbeat.
Never in all my years of vehicle ownership (33) have I had such oil consumption. I find this completely unacceptable especially in todays engine standards.

Quick suggestion:
I've found with the retarded dipstick and location, it's best to check your oil level when it's been sitting for awhile and on level ground (of course level ground is a no brainer). Otherwise, say at a gas station with the engine off for only a short time, there's so much oil still up in the tube, it transfers to the stick and makes it very hard to actually know accurately where your level is at no matter how many times you wipe and reinsert.
Just my experience, for what it's worth.
You should always check the oil on level ground after the car has been sitting for a while, regardless of the car. You get oil in the tube in any engine after it has been running.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by jdmeg21
I've been noticing on the exhaust that the bottom of the tips are black. I have 2100 miles on the car. is the black on the exhaust normal. I would think so because of fumes and crap that comes out of the exhaust. just wondering.
The black is normal - any exhaust will turn black after a while, but it wipes off easily .

As for the break-in procedures, I'm not opening that debate, but will say that it tells you in the manual how to break the car in, so it doesn't matter what the dealer says.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by uther
As for the break-in procedures, I'm not opening that debate, but will say that it tells you in the manual how to break the car in, so it doesn't matter what the dealer says.
+1
You can't be faulted for following break-in proceedures the manual states and are Infiniti's guidelines.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna check mine right now. I've let the car sit over night. Now during the intial break period (about what 2k-3k) wont the car have some oil consumption as its trying to get everything well lubricated and set. Also, what do you think about Castrol's Syntec Blend. I wanted to go full sythetic but if I'm gonna be blowing an extra quart every 1000 miles then I just might go with conventinal or syntec blend.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:47 AM
I use the performance oil from Pure Power. It was recommended to me. I'm just on my first change with this stuff after getting the first change at the dealer. I haven't tried their permanent oil filter yet. And I won't go longer than the Infiniti recommended change interval. No noticeable oil usage before this. I'll post if I see any adverse effects.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:57 AM
just checked my oil, it was down about half a quart (haha I almost typed court) I did my first oil change at 1000 miles (begining of august) and now it has 2100 (end of august). I drove the car alot this month, so I guess half a quart per 1000 is somewhat ok (not really tho) but I can live with it. I'll be checking every 500 miles now I guess, but add half a quart everyone month to month half... meh

Old 09-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Hey guys, just wondering, where on the dipstick should the reading be for 4-5 quarts? I know the bottom of the crosshatch is 1 quart low. Is the top 5 quarts? Or is the middle (between the bottom and top of the cross hatch) 5 quarts?

Old 09-01-2006, 04:47 PM
I assume the top is (supposed to be) 5.2qts (i think what the manual says). but some people saying they add anywhere from 5 - 5.5qts

Old 09-01-2006, 09:20 PM
6MT Coupe
I'm gonna check mine right now. I've let the car sit over night. Now during the intial break period (about what 2k-3k) wont the car have some oil consumption as its trying to get everything well lubricated and set. Also, what do you think about Castrol's Syntec Blend. I wanted to go full sythetic but if I'm gonna be blowing an extra quart every 1000 miles then I just might go with conventinal or syntec blend.
I'm blowing a quart every 1200 mi. and using what Infiniti dealers use...5-30 dino.
I assume the top is (supposed to be) 5.2qts (i think what the manual says). but some people saying they add anywhere from 5 - 5.5qts
I believe the .2 to .5 qts accounts for when the filter is changed. 5qts=engine---.2 to .5qts=filter. Don't have the manual in front of me, but some manuals list capacities as Xqts engine and Xqts engine with filter, being about .5 qts more.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:13 AM
This thread frankly scares the crap out of me and really makes me question my loyalty to and faith in the Infiniti brand. I don't own a G35 but an FX35, sp has anybody had this oil consumption issue with an FX35? (kind of a dumb question considering the drivetrain is identical, so a problem is just as likely)

Old 09-02-2006, 10:34 AM
6MT Coupe
^^^
Ditto...not to pleased with a $35-40K vehicle that has this kind of oil comsumption.

I am curious though if this seems to only happen in the rev-up VQ's. I'm assuming it is, as I've heard some and on other threads with this problem, they're running with manuals. Haven't really heard ppl with this problem with auto (non rev-up) VQ's, being they haven't mentioned what tranny they have.

I have this feeling, just an assumption, that the rev-up VQ's have been pushed, maybe a little beyond, it's design limits with 298-300hp (rev-up)

I'm curious as to how the new VQ35HR will be with this issue. 80% redesigned engine, new block, asymetrical piston skirt configuration, reduction of piston-side force, think 307hp and redline at 7500.

Maybe I need to start saving for an engine swap...

Old 09-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
I am curious though if this seems to only happen in the rev-up VQ's. I'm assuming it is, as I've heard some and on other threads with this problem, they're running with manuals. Haven't really heard ppl with this problem with auto (non rev-up) VQ's, being they haven't mentioned what tranny they have.
I had the oil consumption problem on my 5AT.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:27 PM
6MT Coupe
Thanx Eloy for confirming that.

Guess I can only conclude that this oil consumption is caused possibily from different oil compression ring vendors for Nissan, being this doesn't happen to all VQ35's and/or our engines were assembled on a Monday or Friday
I've heard ppl chim in, on other posts and forums, with not a lick of oil consumption and they've been driving their G from the get go as if they stole it. Go figure.
Oh well....

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 09-03-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:22 AM
Humm...and it goes on to say: 'some oil usage in normal. Varies depending on driving habits' Ha!! They threw in a little CYA for themselves. Still that's BS in my book.
It is true that every engine will use some oil ... mostly over a 4000 or 5000 mile interval. A really good engine might only use 1/4 or 1/3 qt in 5000 miles, and in my book that's a pretty tight engine.

These guys who claim their engine doesn't burn a drop in 5000 miles are lying or smoking some good stuff. Also, oil will get contaminated with moisture and blow by products which can actually increase the volume ... so if the level never goes down it's because they are burning at the same rate that the oil is absorbing contaminates and moisture. I've seen the oil level drop significantly on an engine after a long hiway trip where the moisture gets burned off.

But obviously, if an engine is burning more than a qt every 1000 miles it's not too normal. All the manufactures have a similar "max oil consumption" use standard of around 1000 mi/qt to cover themselves.

Last edited by SuperGee; 09-05-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1/3 quart down after 2200 miles (3 months), with most of the driving during the hot summer months with temps up to 109.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!