The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Odd Starter Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd Starter Issue

Could use a little help diagnosing this. Starter 'clicks' each time I turn the key, then starts on the next turn. Could be one try before starting, could be 3 or 4. Once the starter engages it lights right up.
A little background. Car sat in 18 inches of water in neighbor's back yard for a couple hours after heavy rain. I bought it, ripped out the interior, cleaned everything, replaced the BCM and interior. Replaced all the fluids. Car runs find. But now the starter is giving me that problem. The battery needed to be replace so I did that. So there is more than enough CCA to start the car. Ck'd connections at batter and ground to body from negative cable. HAVE NOT YET BEEN UNDER THE CAR, which is why I'm asking for some help here. As an old Mopar mechanic I would look at the grounds and solenoid, but I am not at all familiar with the Infiniti starting system. Where should I start, what should I look for? Any diagnostic help would be greatly appreciated, as the local Infiniti dealer wants $150 just to say hello.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you should pull the starter and get it bench tested...

What you are hearing & experiencing is typically associated with a failing starter solenoid. Only way to verify what I am saying is again to pull the starter take it to an autozone or parts store and have it tested.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by VFilms
Could use a little help diagnosing this. Starter 'clicks' each time I turn the key, then starts on the next turn. Could be one try before starting, could be 3 or 4. Once the starter engages it lights right up.
A little background. Car sat in 18 inches of water in neighbor's back yard for a couple hours after heavy rain. I bought it, ripped out the interior, cleaned everything, replaced the BCM and interior. Replaced all the fluids. Car runs find. But now the starter is giving me that problem. The battery needed to be replace so I did that. So there is more than enough CCA to start the car. Ck'd connections at batter and ground to body from negative cable. HAVE NOT YET BEEN UNDER THE CAR, which is why I'm asking for some help here. As an old Mopar mechanic I would look at the grounds and solenoid, but I am not at all familiar with the Infiniti starting system. Where should I start, what should I look for? Any diagnostic help would be greatly appreciated, as the local Infiniti dealer wants $150 just to say hello.
You can either pull out the starter and take it to an automotive shop that rebuilds starters and alternators or purchase a new one from an Infiniti parts department or last choice purchase a used one from a junkyard and take your chances.
When you purchase a flooded vehicle these things are to be expected.

Don't forget to check all plugs, connections, terminals and grounds in the wiring harness

Good luck

Telcoman

Telcoman

Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to both of you. Here's an update. After checking all grounds and after bypassing the ign. switch I pulled the starter. While putting the slightest torque on the nut holding the positive cable to the solonoid I heard a 'snap' and off came the plastic housing on the solonoid, along with the wiring. Oh well. Pulled the starter and disassembled. Corrosion everywhere. Seems the solonoid may have been the issue. Local NAPA house had a new one, $149. Installed and seems fine. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sweet... glad you got it all sorted out!