G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Car won't crank when hot outside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car won't crank when hot outside

First posted my problem in this post https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...g-problem.html and I received some advice from member wuzz-upp about checking the starter relay in the IPDM. Got some updated info since then...

Seems like when it's really hot out, that's when this issue occurs...
- the car will not fully crank, sounds like a dead battery. The battery checks out, and I had the fortune for the problem to occur in my garage. After returning home while the car was baking in the hot Florida sun for a few hours, the car would not re-start after I shut it off. Jump starting failed, and I have a battery charger that has a starting feature that did not work either.
- Opened the IPDM and swapped out the starter and ignition relays,.. same problem
- Waited 4 hours and the car starts right up.

The "dead battery crank" happened twice before, and both times, the car started after being allowed to sit for a few hours.

Could it be the starter solenoid?
The IPDM? (single relays not available for sale)
What else could it be?

2003 Sedan, 197K miles

I plan on replacing the starter tomorrow, to eliminate that as the problem.

I am going to drive the G tomorrow, drop my son off at 11am, and sit in the supermarket parking lot for a while with the engine on... let it get as hot as possible then drive back home. Hopefully this will duplicate the "hot outside condition" that I suspect to be the problem, and see if the G refuses to start once more.

I can't believe I'm having such a problem, especially since the G is barely broken in...

Someone... anyone... help me please. If I can't fix it, I'm likely looking at a Civic as my next car (kids' college costs are coming and I can't splurge on my next ride)

Old 08-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by chinee
First posted my problem in this post https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...g-problem.html and I received some advice from member wuzz-upp about checking the starter relay in the IPDM. Got some updated info since then...

Seems like when it's really hot out, that's when this issue occurs...
- the car will not fully crank, sounds like a dead battery. The battery checks out, and I had the fortune for the problem to occur in my garage. After returning home while the car was baking in the hot Florida sun for a few hours, the car would not re-start after I shut it off. Jump starting failed, and I have a battery charger that has a starting feature that did not work either.
- Opened the IPDM and swapped out the starter and ignition relays,.. same problem
- Waited 4 hours and the car starts right up.

The "dead battery crank" happened twice before, and both times, the car started after being allowed to sit for a few hours.

Could it be the starter solenoid?
The IPDM? (single relays not available for sale)
What else could it be?

2003 Sedan, 197K miles

I plan on replacing the starter tomorrow, to eliminate that as the problem.

I am going to drive the G tomorrow, drop my son off at 11am, and sit in the supermarket parking lot for a while with the engine on... let it get as hot as possible then drive back home. Hopefully this will duplicate the "hot outside condition" that I suspect to be the problem, and see if the G refuses to start once more.

I can't believe I'm having such a problem, especially since the G is barely broken in...

Someone... anyone... help me please. If I can't fix it, I'm likely looking at a Civic as my next car (kids' college costs are coming and I can't splurge on my next ride)
Chinee,

I am sure we all feel for your headache. I am going to make a recommendation, it is not a good idea to open a new thread for something you have already posted about. The idea is to keep the same thread open so that everyone can see the history of what has been done to try and resolve the problem as well as any progress without having to go to a different thread. I would suggest that you go back to the original thread concerning this problem and continue it. I will post another suggestion there to try and help you out. I know you are frustrated, but don't start throwing parts at the car hoping for a fix, that could be costly. FYI, had I not read this new thread, I would not have not known that you swapped the starter relay in the IPDM E/R.

With that said, intermittent problems are the most difficult to troubleshoot and patience is a must unless you have deep pockets and want to take it to a shop.

Last edited by wuzz-upp; 08-08-2015 at 10:24 AM.