The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Wrecked the G. Need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrecked the G. Need some opinions.

So unfortunately I was involved in an accident on Tuesday and my G has sustained some damage. Long story short, guy in front of me came to a quick stop for a car turning in front of him and I didn't have enough room to stop. I was probably moving around 25-30mph when I rear ended him. His car only had some scratches on it, but mine was a bit worse. My insurance adjuster came today and he told me that with the damage, it was totaled. This kind of caught me by surprise seeing as I definitely thought that it would be repairable. I want to know what you guys think and what you think I should do from here.

Some background on the G: 2004 G coupe, 6spd. With all of the packages except the navigation one. 125xxx. I'd say that exterior wise it was about an 8/10 and for interior about an 8 as well. I've always taken great care of it and I feel as if the original quote may have been a bit low.

I don't have any pictures right now, but I may be able to get some up here soon. I can explain pretty much all of the damage though. From the impact, I sustained damage to the front bumper cover, bumper, hood(may be repairable), cracked windshield, hood latch and the connecting mechanism as well as both airbags were deployed. There was no damage to the engine or even the radiator. I realize that the airbag deployment will require me to get a new dash as well. That is the extent of the damage though and I want to know if you guys think that would consider the car "totaled."

If so what do you guys think would be a fair price for them to offer me? From my knowledge I'm pretty sure they are supposed to give me retail, but from where they get that number I don't know. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Glad your okay man! ...Well since the airbag deployed most insurance companies usually "total" the car, it isn't something cheap and as far as the damage it may seem do-able but is far more easier to reimburse you and sell the car to a salvage yard.... My friend had an accident just like you at the same speed but he just wasn't paying attention, long story short he hit a jeep cherokee and the cherokee took a small hole but the whole front end of my friends car was done... totaled.

I would guess that you can go on kbb.com and see what the value of your car is or was. Goodluck man!!!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Id take the pay out and see about buying the car back to part out.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
If you really want to go through the work involved with this, follow bowWizzels directive... otherwise this is a headache and probably time to move towards a new ride. Check out the VW Golf serires, a miata, even a lexus and see if you are ready to get back into the G.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You can negotiate with the adjustor if you feel they are not offering you enough for the car. KBB is a good start but also try to find real world comparable cars for sale that may be more in line with the value you have in mind.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by ZFRED10
So unfortunately I was involved in an accident on Tuesday and my G has sustained some damage. Long story short, guy in front of me came to a quick stop for a car turning in front of him and I didn't have enough room to stop. I was probably moving around 25-30mph when I rear ended him. His car only had some scratches on it, but mine was a bit worse. My insurance adjuster came today and he told me that with the damage, it was totaled. This kind of caught me by surprise seeing as I definitely thought that it would be repairable. I want to know what you guys think and what you think I should do from here.

Some background on the G: 2004 G coupe, 6spd. With all of the packages except the navigation one. 125xxx. I'd say that exterior wise it was about an 8/10 and for interior about an 8 as well. I've always taken great care of it and I feel as if the original quote may have been a bit low.

I don't have any pictures right now, but I may be able to get some up here soon. I can explain pretty much all of the damage though. From the impact, I sustained damage to the front bumper cover, bumper, hood(may be repairable), cracked windshield, hood latch and the connecting mechanism as well as both airbags were deployed. There was no damage to the engine or even the radiator. I realize that the airbag deployment will require me to get a new dash as well. That is the extent of the damage though and I want to know if you guys think that would consider the car "totaled."

If so what do you guys think would be a fair price for them to offer me? From my knowledge I'm pretty sure they are supposed to give me retail, but from where they get that number I don't know. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Why would you continue to want to own a 10 year old vehicle?
Take whatever you get from the insurance company and put it towards a new one.
While you are making a decision, go test drive a new one.

I loved my previous 06 G35 but I love my G37S more now

Telcoman

The following users liked this post:
Mustang5L5 (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Your G has 125K miles on her clock and wouldn't be worth having it fixed. Take what you can get from the insurance company and move on to a newer model and year. Sorry for your loss, we love our rides....Gary

Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Your G has 125K miles on her clock and wouldn't be worth having it fixed. Take what you can get from the insurance company and move on to a newer model and year. Sorry for your loss, we love our rides....Gary
This.

over 100k miles, 10 year old car, it is time to move on, regardless of how much you may have loved her.

Without pictures its hard to tell how much damage was done, but at 30mph you'll have frame damage, which is very expensive to repair. Add on having to repair air bag damage and it adds up FAST.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Take the money and run.

I'm at the point where i wouldn't mind a city bus taking out my car while it's parked and totalling it. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but it's a depreciating asset and trade-in value is NIL.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.