G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Running rich??? Oil consumption??? Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running rich??? Oil consumption??? Help

Okay so after buying my G in December & having my engine blow two holes in the block in February, & after replacing two head gaskets & heads because of a faulty radiator.... I now stand here lol..
Well first off I'm pissed because I've put about 6k on this new engine and it's drinking oil like its gas... I literally am burning a quart every 400-500 miles...i was running regular oil for break in & I thought it was just burning it cause it needed synthetic, but I switched over and it's burning synthetic just as bad, using mobile 1 5w30 ...I know the rev up models had this problem bad but I didn't think I'd be running into this problem with a 2003 6MT coupe!,especially with a new engine... What is the cause? And how many of you guys are burning oil like that?
I am now noticing black/grey smoke from my exhaust when I push the RPMs, is that from burning oil? From my understanding burning oil is more blue?
I hear black/ grey smoke is a lean or rich mixture? My car is bone stock besides a exhaust, I have cut the resonators off & straight pipped to the mufflers but that shouldn't cause my car to run rich/lean?
I have no check engine light, and the car drives great... Just burning a lot of oil & I'm seeing this smoke now... I love this car but it's seriously been a headache, and it's not even paid off If you know any fixes to this consumption or why my car is blowing black smoke I'd appreciate it! I'm trying to resolve this ASAP it's my daily...

Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Is the engine really new, or just new to you? It could be a bad engine from a salvage yard if that's where you got it from, should have a warranty. Oh and FYI, I know more people with 03/04 oil consumption problems than I do people with revups burning oil.

Sounds like you need to get that car into a knowledgeable mechanic to chase out all the gremlins you have going on in there.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Is the engine really new, or just new to you? It could be a bad engine from a salvage yard if that's where you got it from, should have a warranty. Oh and FYI, I know more people with 03/04 oil consumption problems than I do people with revups burning oil.

Sounds like you need to get that car into a knowledgeable mechanic to chase out all the gremlins you have going on in there.
It's a brand new remanufactured engine 0 miles... Just paid 4K

Old 07-12-2014, 04:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Freshhkiicks
Okay so after buying my G in December & having my engine blow two holes in the block in February, & after replacing two head gaskets & heads because of a faulty radiator.... I now stand here lol..
Well first off I'm pissed because I've put about 6k on this new engine and it's drinking oil like its gas... I literally am burning a quart every 400-500 miles...i was running regular oil for break in & I thought it was just burning it cause it needed synthetic, but I switched over and it's burning synthetic just as bad, using mobile 1 5w30 ...I know the rev up models had this problem bad but I didn't think I'd be running into this problem with a 2003 6MT coupe!,especially with a new engine... What is the cause? And how many of you guys are burning oil like that?
I am now noticing black/grey smoke from my exhaust when I push the RPMs, is that from burning oil? From my understanding burning oil is more blue?
I hear black/ grey smoke is a lean or rich mixture? My car is bone stock besides a exhaust, I have cut the resonators off & straight pipped to the mufflers but that shouldn't cause my car to run rich/lean?
I have no check engine light, and the car drives great... Just burning a lot of oil & I'm seeing this smoke now... I love this car but it's seriously been a headache, and it's not even paid off If you know any fixes to this consumption or why my car is blowing black smoke I'd appreciate it! I'm trying to resolve this ASAP it's my daily...
it sounds like car over heated and you broke the oil scraper rings on pistons(they are cast iron and will expand from overheated conditon and crack, many times gouging the cylinderwalls, change to 15W40 reg oil..but..the damage may already be done

Old 07-12-2014, 04:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Freshhkiicks
now addressing black smoke issue...black is excessive rich mixture..to much gasoline on cylinder walls will wash away thin oil film causing piston rings to crack and break