Crank but no start... SOS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank but no start... SOS

'03 coupe 6mt 135k

I'll try to be brief:
Left my car in a parking lot on Saturday & came back 5 hours later to no start. The car will crank but won't start. Got it to idle roughly at 300rpms but the engine would die the second I hit the accelerator and now won't even idle. The fuel pump is new, I have plenty of gas, and the battery is good still, but I can't figure out what's wrong beyond that. I went ahead and replaced the passenger side cam sensor but haven't gotten to the drivers side due to time. Does anyone have suggestions?

Old 09-30-2016, 06:20 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Do you have a check engine light on? Even if you don't your car might have thrown a code so go to your nearest Autozone or O'Reilly's and have them scan the ECU. Always start with this when you have an unexplained issue.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Do you have a check engine light on? Even if you don't your car might have thrown a code so go to your nearest Autozone or O'Reilly's and have them scan the ECU. Always start with this when you have an unexplained issue.
That's where the issue is. I borrowed a basic scan tool from a friend and checked codes but it came back with no results. The downside is it doesn't have an option to check stored codes too. But I can't even get my dash to cycle through the test lights, everything comes on like a Christmas tree but doesn't go away after like it should. Right now I'm stuck between something being off with my fuel pressure or my IPDM being fried because I washed my car earlier that day before I left it to sit. Same friend as before suggested it might be my fuel rails but Idk.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:40 AM

Did you wash the motor or get any significant water in the engine bay?

Old 10-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Reece Lenwell
'03 coupe 6mt 135k

I'll try to be brief:
Left my car in a parking lot on Saturday & came back 5 hours later to no start. The car will crank but won't start. Got it to idle roughly at 300rpms but the engine would die the second I hit the accelerator and now won't even idle. The fuel pump is new, I have plenty of gas, and the battery is good still, but I can't figure out what's wrong beyond that. I went ahead and replaced the passenger side cam sensor but haven't gotten to the drivers side due to time. Does anyone have suggestions?
..... but I can't figure out what's wrong Does anyone have suggestions?
Yes I have a suggestion for you.

Stop guessing and stop just replacing random parts without establishing the root cause of the no start problem.

Perhaps the fuel pump is defective?
Perhaps the cam sensor is defective?
Perhaps it is something else?

Have the vehicle towed to the nearest Infiniti dealer. I'm sure they can determine the no start problem in less than an hour?

Never pay for anything with cash or check.
Always use a credit card.
If any parts replaced thus far by you turn out to be defective, get in writing from the dealer and request a charge-back from your credit card company.

If you are not an AAA member join
You can get up to 200 miles of free towing

Just my $.02

Telcoman

Old 10-03-2016, 06:51 AM
I'd appreciate your $.02 if it was worth any actual value whatsoever. I fixed the fuel pump a month ago myself after Infiniti wanted $960 to do it. I fixed my cam sensors after consulting these same forums as well as my master tech Infiniti friend when my car started dying randomly while being driven. I'm not blindly throwing money at parts, I'm consulting people before I do anything. So far, I've spent almost less money on actual parts than for Infiniti to simply diag my car so I'm doing what I can to avoid them.

As for the engine bay, no, I left my hood closed and skipped cleaning it this time.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
I'd appreciate your $.02 if it was worth any actual value whatsoever. .
HAHAHA
Set him straight. Dude passive aggressively "assists" people all the time...Usually just to blow his local dealer. Don't let it get to you.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:50 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I'd appreciate your $.02 if it was worth any actual value whatsoever. I fixed the fuel pump a month ago myself after Infiniti wanted $960 to do it. I fixed my cam sensors after consulting these same forums as well as my master tech Infiniti friend when my car started dying randomly while being driven. I'm not blindly throwing money at parts, I'm consulting people before I do anything. So far, I've spent almost less money on actual parts than for Infiniti to simply diag my car so I'm doing what I can to avoid them.

As for the engine bay, no, I left my hood closed and skipped cleaning it this time.
It's been a few days now since you first posted this.. so I assume the car still won't start?

That should have been enough time for it to dry out if there was a water immersion problem as a result of your wash (as wisely suggested by BlueDream). I know I've had one or two situations in the past with washing older vehicles where they wouldn't start up or catch idle for a while a day after washing the car. I've since learned that a good practice is to always start a car up after washing it rather than just letting it sit overnight. I guess the heat probably helps burn off any water that got into the engine bay before it can really soak in and work its way deep into electronics or old cracked wires sheathing.

Did you try disconnecting the battery for a bit and then reconnecting it? I doubt this will fix it, but it's worth trying just to reset the ECU as a first step. Are all of your vacuum hoses in place and tight?

I'd also try pulling your coil packs off one at a time and checking for oil or water down in there which could be causing poor electrical conduction to the plugs.

While you're under the hood, remove the MAF sensor and spray it with some sensor-safe MAF cleaner, let it dry and then reinstall it and try cranking it again. Hopefully the sensor wasn't all wet.

Is your car mostly stock?

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 03:09 AM
'03 coupe 6mt 135k

I'll try to be brief:
Have you checked the oil? Any particles? Have you checked the fuel lines?
How shady was the parking lot?
Maybe someone messed with your car🤔

Old 10-05-2016, 03:52 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNurse
Have you checked the oil? Any particles?
I'm almost certain that his oil is 100% particles.... of oil.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by partyman66

That should have been enough time for it to dry out if there was a water immersion problem as a result of your wash (as wisely suggested by BlueDream).
Is your car mostly stock?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then eh?