G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New g35 owner here (oil concerns)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New g35 owner here (oil concerns)

Hi guys, I just bought a 2004 g35 with the AT transmission and I have a few questions regarding oil consumption. So before buying, I knew about some cars having huge consumption problems so I asked the seller if the car did consume oil and he said that it didn't. So when I bought the car I got it inspected at my usual garage and everything went good. The oil level was showing near H ... so this morning (drove about 250 kms during the week-end) I check it and im near the L on the dipstick. So that means I burned nearly 2 quarts of oil for driving 250 kms ... is this even possible ?

Also, I do not see any smoke coming from the tailpipe and no apparent leaks because we checked during the inspection of the vehicle.

PS. That dipstick is the worse one i've delt with so far ....

Old 06-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak some where... Never heard of it burning that much oil. Also you may want to make sure the dipstick is seated correctly because oil could be coming out of there.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Yes, the dipstick is the worst ever.

Just so I can rule this out, you didn't check the oil with the motor running did you?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Yea I got an oil change one time and they bent the guide around it so the stick wouldn't go all the way down... Next thing I know the cars smoking on the highway because oil is coming out.

Yea engine off when checking the oil.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by e_nigma
Yea I got an oil change one time and they bent the guide around it so the stick wouldn't go all the way down... Next thing I know the cars smoking on the highway because oil is coming out.

Yea engine off when checking the oil.
Man, I know accidents happen, but these guys change oil all day..I don't understand how they can be so careless. Did they replace the Dipstick?

I can't take my car in because of all these horror stories (I've heard some bad stuff). I used to bring my truck in just to save time, but I've had a couple buddies work at different places that do oil/brakes/tires kind of stuff and he would tell me what some of them do and its not cool.

The worst was when he told me that if a customer was being rude they would drain their oil and then start their car with no oil in it.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 06-30-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Na...I ended up fixing it myself. Took the car back to them and of course they claimed no knowledge at first but then couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from. After they cleaned out the engine bay I figured it out myself.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Yes the car is off when checking the oil and I make sure the dipstick is all the way down the hole at all times. This is making me paranoid because it feels like I just bought a fresh lemon.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Goshko
Yes the car is off when checking the oil and I make sure the dipstick is all the way down the hole at all times. This is making me paranoid because it feels like I just bought a fresh lemon.
Do you have heavy carbon in your tailpipe? (That's what she said)

If you're burning that much oil you would have heavy sticky black soot visible in your tailpipes.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:57 PM
@Gdirtyfive55 Yea these guys can really be jacked up but wow starting the car without oil... No joke. Needless to say I don't go back to that place.

@Goshko I would just top it off then start checking for leaks

Old 06-30-2014, 01:57 PM
well I just check the soot in my tailpipes, I have a bit in the right one and almost nothing in the left one.

But isnt that soot something normal to be expected in a tailpipe ? It wasn't really sticky...

Old 06-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
A lot of oil burning issues are covered up by the cat converter until it gets so plugged up that it stops working.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Goshko
well I just check the soot in my tailpipes, I have a bit in the right one and almost nothing in the left one.

But isnt that soot something normal to be expected in a tailpipe ? It wasn't really sticky...
No. My tailpipes have absolutely zero soot in them. They're just a light rust color inside. I was lucky and got one that burns almost zero oil. All cars burn a little, but the amount of soot is indicative of how much.

If you don't have much, I'd say enigma is right. Fill 'er up and start check in for leaks. You are most likely not burning that oil.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
No. My tailpipes have absolutely zero soot in them. They're just a light rust color inside. I was lucky and got one that burns almost zero oil. All cars burn a little, but the amount of soot is indicative of how much.

If you don't have much, I'd say enigma is right. Fill 'er up and start check in for leaks. You are most likely not burning that oil.
Well I did have a bit but im not a mechanic so I really don't know what's considered normal or not ...

THanks though Ill get that checked.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Nah, you'd know.

My buddy has a Mazdaspeed 3 and they are natural oil burners. His tailpipe is BLACK! Like, just nasty. Its got kind of a dull sheen and it looks kinda sticky like resin. But his doesn't burn anywhere near the amount you're talking about.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Wouldn't I see smoke coming out of my tailpipe ? That'S what I find odd about it ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New g35 owner here (oil concerns)