G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

You CAN shut down car in drive!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
You CAN shut down car in drive!

Just an FYI ...

I was playing around this morning on the way to work and was wondering if the engine can be shut down in drive while in motion. Well, I pushed the button and nothing. I then thought I'd push it several times and guess what ... the engine shut down while on the move. I learned that

3 pushes of the button will shut the engine down, even if the car is on move.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THANKS BUT NO THANKS ... BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ON EXPLANING THIS TO THE DEALER IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG WTH YOUR CAR/ENGINE/ETC ...

DISCLAIMER: I'M NO MECHANIC SO DON'T JUDGE ME!

i'll leave with dis:

holla atcha boi ... yeah!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
Just an FYI ...

I was playing around this morning on the way to work and was wondering if the engine can be shut down in drive while in motion. Well, I pushed the button and nothing. I then thought I'd push it several times and guess what ... the engine shut down while on the move. I learned that

3 pushes of the button will shut the engine down, even if the car is on move.

Good to know Terry. I guess that's a pretty good saftey feature.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 PM
With my 6mt it will shut down on the first push on a slow roll in neutral...but not over a certain speed.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:56 PM
My horns hold up my halo
I'm sure it has a way to turn it off while in motion should there be a safety issue that requires you to turn the car off while unable to stop.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by g35_6gear
With my 6mt it will shut down on the first push on a slow roll in neutral...but not over a certain speed.
Sorry man ... I'm not gonna experiment at 65mph

EDIT:

For those of you that do not know ... you WILL LOSE hydraulic power to steering and brakes if the engine is shut down. You may only have 1 or 2 pumps of pressure in your brakes!

I only thought this would be helpful if for some crazy reason the drive-by-wire accelerator ever got stuck WOT.

Last edited by terrycs; 04-13-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Just thought I'd bump this ancient thread in light of what it going on with Toyota:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5963897.story

Old 10-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can just throw it in N and hit the brake. Most luxury cars are actually designed the way when you hit the brake it over rides the gas.

Also I believe you don't have to hit it 3 times just have to hold the push B. for a little longer. Could be wrong tho.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Sorry man ... I'm not gonna experiment at 65mph

EDIT:

For those of you that do not know ... you WILL LOSE hydraulic power to steering and brakes if the engine is shut down. You may only have 1 or 2 pumps of pressure in your brakes!

I only thought this would be helpful if for some crazy reason the drive-by-wire accelerator ever got stuck WOT.
You lose the power brakes, but you don't lose brakes altogether...

Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
You lose the power brakes, but you don't lose brakes altogether...
good luck stopping without power brakes.....

Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by coolieman1220
good luck stopping without power brakes.....
OK, let me rephrase that for those who need it... you lose brake assist/ brake booster/ vacuum booster (whichever you want to call it) at most. If you need to compensate for that loss of pressure, pump the brake pedal a few times really quick and your brakes will work like normal. All it really means is you need to use more force on the brake pedal. If that's too much work for you, then I really don't know what to say...

Old 10-18-2009, 08:24 PM

OK, let me rephrase that for those who need it... you lose brake assist/ brake booster/ vacuum booster (whichever you want to call it) at most. If you need to compensate for that loss of pressure, pump the brake pedal a few times really quick and your brakes will work like normal. All it really means is you need to use more force on the brake pedal. If that's too much work for you, then I really don't know what to say...
Actually, the driver will have one or two full power stops available with the stored vacuum (use them wisely ). Pumping the pedal will cause the stored vacuum to go away faster. Once the motor is stopped and if it is safe to do so, try to keep the brakes on until the car is stopped.

Of course, we can all think it through while typing on the PC. I'm sure if the poor guy in San Diego had time, he would have stopped the car. He was probably not familar with enough with it cuz it as a loaner.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
then I really don't know what to say...
Crash

Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Actually, the driver will have one or two full power stops available with the stored vacuum (use them wisely ). Pumping the pedal will cause the stored vacuum to go away faster. Once the motor is stopped and if it is safe to do so, try to keep the brakes on until the car is stopped.
Pretty recently when I just busted my front suspension, I was on the freeway when I bottomed out pretty hard and my motor stalled. It wasn't scary at all like how some of these guys on here make it out to be. Yea, I lost power steering... yea brake assist was gone. But I still had full control of the car, and the brakes worked enough for me to slow down to whatever speed I needed to look away to assess the situation, put the car into neutral and start her up again. IMO, if someone needs to rely on those things to drive, they need to go buy an old car without power steering, assisted brakes, or synchros and actually learn how to drive a car. Those things are great when you have them, but at least you know you can live without them too.

Of course, we can all think it through while typing on the PC. I'm sure if the poor guy in San Diego had time, he would have stopped the car. He was probably not familar with enough with it cuz it as a loaner.
The problem there wasn't that the car shut off and it wasn't a problem with anything electronic. The gas pedal was caught and stuck on the floormat and he couldn't step on the brake pedal because the floormat was in the way.

Last edited by dofu; 10-18-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Good info Terry, thanks for the bump

....... IMO, if someone needs to rely on those things to drive, they need to go buy an old car without power steering, assisted brakes, or synchros and actually learn how to drive a car. Those things are great when you have them, but at least you know you can live without them too.........
^ yep.... drivers today (most) have no idea what it's like to drive w/o all the boosted/assisted controls.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: You CAN shut down car in drive!