G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Factory alarm randomness (hood pin cost?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory alarm randomness (hood pin cost?)

Hello all,

I have an 07 G35x AT with about 68k on it. Car is bone stock.

This morning, my factory alarm began starting / stopping randomly. I poked around on the forums, and it appears to be either:

(1) One of the six sensors: hood / trunk / four doors; or

(2) car battery problem.

Everything I've read suggests it is likely the hood pin, since they fail most frequently.

Here's my problem:

The nearest dealer is 90 minutes away. There IS a Nissan dealer locally, however. Would they be able to replace the hood pin (and is it an expensive part?) . . . and do you think this is likely to solve the problem?

Alternatively, I've been considering just leaving it unlocked until I can drive out to the dealer . . . but I'm afraid that they'll give me the run-around.

Finally, is there a fuse / fuses I can disable in the meantime without altering the car's functionality?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

-Reg

Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hood pin is likely your problem, but you can find out for sure. The hood pin's sole function is to set off the alarm, unlike all the other sensors, which control the dome lights and cargo light as well as the alarm. So disconnect your hood pin first to see if the problem goes away.

If the problem persists, it is likely your hood pin, but fortunately they aren't very expensive (sorry, I don't have the part number or exact price). I don't have an Infiniti dealership near me either but the Nissan dealership has no problem ordering Infiniti parts for me.

Your choice about leaving the car unlocked... as for me, that's how I got my radar detector stoLEN F***ING CRACKHEADS.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Google search Infiniti parts warehouse there are a few that show parts diagrams. It's as easy to replace as a few bolts in and out lol.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Roger that.

Am I able to simply disconnect the hood pin, though?

I have read a few, much older threads suggesting that wires needed to be spliced, etc.

The way I read it---just unplugging the hood pin and covering the connector (just to prevent debris from getting in there) should be enough, right?

-Reg

Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by regjm3
Roger that.

Am I able to simply disconnect the hood pin, though?

I have read a few, much older threads suggesting that wires needed to be spliced, etc.

The way I read it---just unplugging the hood pin and covering the connector (just to prevent debris from getting in there) should be enough, right?

-Reg
If you are replacing it, then yes, wires need to be spliced. But yes you are correct, just wrap the loose wires in electrical tape to prevent them from touching anything.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Okay, I must be crazy.

I can't find the hood sensor. Do the 07 models have them? Granted, I was poking around in the parking lot after work...but I had a flashlight.

Can someone send me a diagram as to where it is? In the interim, I pulled the alarm fuse. I live in a low-crime area, so the alarm isn't a top priority as long as the doors lock. I just NEED to disable the craziness.

-Reg