Hard Gear Changes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Gear Changes?

Hi,

I hope I can explain this well enough.

I test drove an '07 G35S, yesterday. I had it in manual shift mode (or whatever it's called) so I could try out the paddle shifters. I took an on ramp in 2nd and punched it. At about 6000-6500 RPMs, I hit the up paddle for 3rd. It shifted right away, but what I want to ask about is what that shift is supposed to feel like, because it seemed to change gears much harder than I expected.

I could just be used to my other auto transmissions feeling like a normal gear change when I shift manually (my old Altima SE-R for instance), but this was a hard bump that almost felt like another car had hit me in the rear end.

Is this normal? Is it supposed to change gears with such a hard "thunk" (I can't think of how else to describe it)?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DennisCastro
Hi,

I hope I can explain this well enough.

I test drove an '07 G35S, yesterday. I had it in manual shift mode (or whatever it's called) so I could try out the paddle shifters. I took an on ramp in 2nd and punched it. At about 6000-6500 RPMs, I hit the up paddle for 3rd. It shifted right away, but what I want to ask about is what that shift is supposed to feel like, because it seemed to change gears much harder than I expected.

I could just be used to my other auto transmissions feeling like a normal gear change when I shift manually (my old Altima SE-R for instance), but this was a hard bump that almost felt like another car had hit me in the rear end.

Is this normal? Is it supposed to change gears with such a hard "thunk" (I can't think of how else to describe it)?

Thanks!
A small amount of jarring wouldn't be surprising shifting at that high # of RPMs (I do it all the time - how anyone can resist that engine noise, I don't know) but a major thunk is a little concerning. Hard to diagnose remotely but could need everything from a simple transmission flush to a new tranny, which would cost upwards of $3k. What's the mileage on the car? (Also good to see you're still test driving!)

Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by NiFTiiNFiNiTi
A small amount of jarring wouldn't be surprising shifting at that high # of RPMs (I do it all the time - how anyone can resist that engine noise, I don't know) but a major thunk is a little concerning. Hard to diagnose remotely but could need everything from a simple transmission flush to a new tranny, which would cost upwards of $3k. What's the mileage on the car? (Also good to see you're still test driving!)
Thanks, Nifti.

It is a fairly high-mileage car, and I wish there was a way I could get someone knowledgeable enough about these cars to ride along with me. The shift could be perfectly normal, for all I know. I was surprised at how quickly it went from 2nd to 3rd.

Car Listing: http://www.infinitiofgwinnett.com/us...b1cebebb61.htm

Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by DennisCastro
Thanks, Nifti. It is a fairly high-mileage car, and I wish there was a way I could get someone knowledgeable enough about these cars to ride along with me. The shift could be perfectly normal, for all I know. I was surprised at how quickly it went from 2nd to 3rd. Car Listing: http://www.infinitiofgwinnett.com/us...b1cebebb61.htm
There is, take it on a test drive and have a transmission shop mechanic diagnose it with you.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or at least if a car seems sound and you're seriously considering buying, bring it to a dealership to have them completely look it over. Pretty foolproof way to avoid immediate, expensive repairs.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I get a good strong punchy shift when I am in DS mode and on it. If I am not on it much the shift seems to be much slower and smoother. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but get it checked out regardless for any high mile purchase.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or maybe its just that its an aggressive transmission and it shifts hard?

Old 12-18-2014, 02:11 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My G always shifts hard from 2 to 3. It's a known issue. Some people have said a grounding kit helps.

I find it doesn't shift hard when you either do it from ~3-4k RPM's or without gas.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
My G always shifts hard from 2 to 3. It's a known issue. Some people have said a grounding kit helps. I find it doesn't shift hard when you either do it from ~3-4k RPM's or without gas.
2nd gen.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Funny, I just took mine in for the same reason – rough shift from 2nd to 3rd. All shifts are pretty rough when it's cold. Everything checked out okay and the guy said it's normal. Manual shifting tends to be rougher than regular auto.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On another topic, that price is pretty good for those cars in Atlanta. Lots of dealers want more than that for ones with 120k miles.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
Yes that is normal. I complained about it for a long time to the dealers and came back nothing. Mine has been doing that since I bought it brand new. When I got the transgo kit for my car I had the guy look at my transmission to see if everything is normal. He pulled it apart and everything looked normal. During that point when your car is shifting there is less slippage going on in your transmission.