Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Am I being Paranoid? Exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Am I being Paranoid? Exhaust noise

So, I was driving my car the other day and at a stop light i noticed that the car sounded much quieter. So i rev'd it up a few times just to check things out. I don't know a whole lot about cars i'll be the first to admit, but i know when my own car doesn't sound right. I don't hear the same growl coming from the car as I did a few days earlier. Had my wife rev it up for me a few times and i stood behind it and it doesn't seem to be pushing out the same amount of air from each exhaust.

It's been bugging me now and it seems like some type of airflow problem but when i brought it into Lokey Infiniti, they told me the car was in perfect condition and they would tell that anything was wrong from the test drive. Another thing i noticed is when i start out in first gear and listen i can hear what sounds like metal chips rolling around from the back.

All in all the car sounds a whole lot quieter, the throttle response seems slow and it seems sluggish. As well as the exhaust not putting out enough power and a slight popping noise when the rpm's are coming down. What do you guys think i should do? Thinking about taking it to another place for someone else to take a look at it. Sorry for babbling but its been bothering me and I don't even want to drive it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Pyroalter; 02-14-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
not too sure, but it could be a dirty air filter, something wrong w/ the exhaust, or you've got used to the sound. you can try to reset the ECU to see if it stops that "sluggish" feeling.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM
hmm i may just try that. I have a post of what it sounded like a few months ago and i'll take another one and try to post it if i can to show you the diference

Old 02-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Our cars seem to be slower and it hesitates when you try to accelerate.

But the sound, definitely get it checked.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How many miles? If your coupe's an 07, it's probably relatively low mileage, so it's less likely that a cat or a muffler is breaking down, but...? Not sure what kind of test would catch that though?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 PM
aye it only has 11k miles on it right now. My wife is even hearing the metal chip sound coming from the right exhaust pipe when i speed up and slow down. Bugging the crap outa me. Think i might have to just bring it in and show the mechanics myself.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it somewhere else to get it checked out

Old 02-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've noticed that some days my G is louder than others. Maybe little things like surrounding noises or what not makes this. I think your just thinking too much about it.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Carbon finaly plugged all the pinholes in the exhaust.....

Old 03-02-2009, 03:30 AM
So just a little update. I brought the car into 2 different dealerships since its under warranty still. Alls they would do was test drive it and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Still hearing the metal chip sound coming from my right exhaust pipe too. Not sure what to do from here. I guess drive it and wait till somthing happens? Still bugging me.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
probably the cats got messed up? you might wanna take it to an exhaust shop and ask them to take out the exhaust. Then check it out for yourself

Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put nice aftermarket exhaust set up on the G

Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Might be you have just gotten used to the sound of the your ride.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pyroalter
So just a little update. I brought the car into 2 different dealerships since its under warranty still. Alls they would do was test drive it and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Still hearing the metal chip sound coming from my right exhaust pipe too. Not sure what to do from here. I guess drive it and wait till somthing happens? Still bugging me.
I know what I am about to say doesn't explain the change in noise / power feel at all,

but are you sure that the metal chip sound is coming from the right exhause pipe? my car had the "axle clicking" issue on my right side rear wheel area, and it turned out that all I did to fix it was tighten the nut at the end of the axle.

Anyways, just throwing out ideas; you've driven past your wife and she's sure the sound is from the exhaust area not wheel area?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 AM
hmm i'll have to check into that. But i had her rev it for me while i stood behind the car while it was in neutral and it was still doing it and sounded like it was coming from the exhause pipe. Could be i'm just getting used to it but I would hate for it to actually be somthing wrong with it. I guess only time will tell. Was thinking about bringing it to a meet to have some of the other guys check it out. I'm in the Tampa/St. Pete area by the way. Thanks for all the info and ideas though so far guys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I being Paranoid? Exhaust noise