Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hikkatadori hood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hikkatadori hood?

So i ordered this hood, b/c i absolutely loved the lines in it and how it looked on the G35. Upon it's arrival i was EXTREMELY disappointed in its quality, so we made this video of it mounted on my car to show how bad the quality really is.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Have heard that the HD hood and trunk have terrible fitment and need lots of work but this is ridiculous. What has the vendor said who you bought it from?

This is exactly why I'm nervous to get the SI hood, fitment and quality can be trash and the vendors protect themselves by saying it isn't guaranteed. One of the dangers of going aftermarket... Sorry to hear about your experience.

Last edited by Xet; 03-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:24 PM
His name IS Hikkatadori...how misleading....umm as far as i know he wont take the product back....

Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
sorry OP to hear about your misfortune.. the ams heat extractor hood from VIS is more sturdy and the CF is beautifully made. FYI for future purchasers of THIS hood just get the VIS one from us. Although we sell this hood upon request, this hood would never be recommended by us to any customer. OP next time hit me up and to future customers never be afraid to ask me our opinion on said parts.

-Dustin

...did you happen to get one of their trunks?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Everything I've ever heard about HD is that they make terrible products. For some reason not many people know this, but many people on this board who have bought their products have been unhappy. Sorry you had to go through this, hope the vendor can work something out with you!!

Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Dustin@StrafeAutomotive
sorry OP to hear about your misfortune.. the ams heat extractor hood from VIS is more sturdy and the CF is beautifully made. FYI for future purchasers of THIS hood just get the VIS one from us. Although we sell this hood upon request, this hood would never be recommended by us to any customer. OP next time hit me up and to future customers never be afraid to ask me our opinion on said parts.

-Dustin

...did you happen to get one of their trunks?
No just the inven bumper and the HD hood as a combo. I came across the VIS just last night (little late i know) but i can get it for 660 shipped, i just need to get rid of this pos.....they also have the NON HD trunk but it looks like it has better CF quality ....thanks Dustin

Old 03-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts
I remember I wanted this same hood and dustin told me not to get this good and buy the one from vis.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Really Needs a Life
Originally Posted by KBL281
No just the inven bumper and the HD hood as a combo. I came across the VIS just last night (little late i know) but i can get it for 660 shipped, i just need to get rid of this pos.....they also have the NON HD trunk but it looks like it has better CF quality ....thanks Dustin
so you wouldnt ask me to get it for you? send me a pm of what your looking for sir.. i get the deepest % on aftermarket body pieces for the g35's..

Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Really Needs a Life
Originally Posted by Princedrama
I remember I wanted this same hood and dustin told me not to get this good and buy the one from vis.
proof is right in that vid drama.. i wouldnt steer ya the wrong way

Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Here Krysten, I am going to help you out. As a G owner to a G owner, and a Hikkta Dori hood owner to a Hikkata Dori hood owner. We've had differences in the past but that is neither here or there right now. From now on, I'll stay away from you and you and your boyfriend stay away from me and then everyone's happy.

Moving on. It is unfortunate that you have received such a poorly designed hood. The imperfections in the weave, the raw fiberglass, lack of hardware to mount rain guards, and the black paint used to cover up cracks in the weave are all legitimate complaints and any normal person would be appalled at the design of a hood, especially once that is so steeply priced at that matter. I am not debating that nor am I trying to defend Hikkata Dori. Some people on this forum know how I feel about Hikkata Dori products (even though I also have the hood) and the people that represent them. But regardless, not trying to debate that.

I'll just say that there is some weird reason why they don't bump or post often in their own for sale threads here on this forum and that they were banned from myg37. Whatever reason that is, I don't know. To me, it seems fishy and I'll gladly buy from Dustin any day of the week. Makes it easier cause I have his phone number.

However, if you intend on keeping the hood, there are a few things you can do to get it to fit better and properly latch. I had the EXACT same issues as you when I bought my hood. I was just fortunate enough to purchase it from a private owner, and not these awesome sponsors, for half the price.

First, to get it to latch down, you can dremel your hood latch. Below is a picture on how I dremeled my latch down so the hood would catch it.

latch1.jpg?t=1299972827

latch2.jpg?t=1299972848

You'll still have to press down pretty hard to get it to latch, but this should work. It worked for me and it worked for Johnathon.

The other option you can do, though more costly, is to purchase hood pins, cut the hood, and install the pins. South Florida's CALex did that to his fiberglass Hikkata Dori hood. Image enclosed below:

Name:  Towers2-18-10048.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  100.0 KB

Now to correct the gaps between the fenders and the headlights, these are somewhat of an easy fix. You'll have to unbolt the top 3 mounts of your fenders so that the bolts are loose and you can feel the fender flex. Once unbolted, you can press in the fender upward / inward to minimize the gap between the hood and the fender. It will not close the gap completely like OEM, but it is a lot better then your initial test fit. Enclosed are the locations of the 3 bolts I am referring to.

bolt1.jpg?t=1299973010

bolt2.jpg?t=1299973030

Lastly, you can also unbolt your headlights too and move them the same way you did your fenders. Again, it won't close the gap completely like OEM, but it will be better then how the hood initially fits. You've done headlights before, so I'll safely assume you know how to remove the front bumper to get access to all your headlight mounting points.

Whatever you decide to do, either keep the hood or sell the hood, I wish you good luck.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Sucks to see that man. I remember when these first came out and everyone was so pumped about them. Then, all of a sudden, interest dropped off. I guess this is why.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 PM
First off..Dustin im a girl lol not a sir. I wish to get rid of this hood. I don't want it at all. I also don't want to sell it to another member of the community b/c that's also not fair. I want a FULL REAL CARBON FIBER HOOD!! The one i saw on VIS looks like exactly what i was looking for, trunk included.

Son, i feel that the first paragraph was unnecessary, and irrelevant to the obvious issue. Thanks for your advice, if i decide to keep this hood for w.e. reason, then i will definitely take your route. Just really sucks that this thing is such poor quality. The bumper in itself needs a lot of drilling, sanding etc.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Really Needs a Life
^and i can get you both lol up to you, just trying to help you out guurrlll

Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
i have heard many negative things of them and have seen a few bad products from them personally. the hoods along with their trunks are fiberglassed with what seems to be paper....it flexes the minute a fly lands on it LOL...my tunk fits very well from what i have seen on other HD trunks but that is because it was reworked 4 times. not worth the money if you ask me

Old 03-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Sorry to hear Krysten. I really want this hood but refuse to buy it after seeing first hand how poorly and flimsy the hood really is. The VIS Slayer is similar but has the rise in the center that the HD doesn't. I'll keep my OEM hood for now. Good luck on whatever you do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hikkatadori hood?