G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

AWD question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 04:18 PM
|
AWD question

I own a 2003 G35 (not AWD), and I have on order a 2007 G35 with AWD.

Based simply on power/weight ratios, the 2007 AWD should be a tick quicker than my 2003. Maybe even a couple of ticks, considering the new stricter horsepower rating system being used this year by Infiniti. That's what I'm I'm hoping for at least. My 2003 is pleasantly quick, but I have often felt I would like it to be somewhat faster.

Any comments on this?

Also, how much slower from 0-60 do you thing the 2007 AWD version will be compared to the 2 wheel drive 2007? What actual numbers would you prdict for both cars on a fully broken-in engine?

Thanks. I am having some second thoughts about going with the AWD version if the "seat of the pants" accelleration is going to be much diferent.

Last edited by RockyR; 10-15-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-15-2006 | 04:33 PM
From the dealer walk-thru video on Youtube, I thought the AWD drives like a RWD (100% rear) until you need the AWD on an ad-hoc basis (almost 50-50 front/rear).

Old 10-15-2006 | 04:37 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
From the dealer walk-thru video on Youtube, I thought the AWD drives like a RWD (100% rear) until you need the AWD on an ad-hoc basis (almost 50-50 front/rear).
True, but it also almost 200lbs heavier as well.

Old 10-15-2006 | 04:39 PM
N50
Originally Posted by canuck
True, but it also almost 200lbs heavier as well.

Exactly. My guess is around 5.4-5.6 sec.

Old 10-15-2006 | 04:41 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
That's right.....100% rear drive unless there's slippage at the rear.> excellent traction....
The trade-off tho is a slight penalty in weight which affects the 0-60 time by only a couple of ticks./

RockyR
From my thinking, the increase hp on the '07 will more than offset the weight increase of your new 07, and as you suspect, the 07 AWD should be slightly quicker than your '03.

C.

Old 10-15-2006 | 04:41 PM
|
Originally Posted by N50
Exactly. My guess is around 5.4-5.6 sec.

You mean you think the AWD will be 2/10ths sec slower?

Old 10-15-2006 | 04:51 PM
N50
Originally Posted by RockyR
You mean you think the AWD will be 2/10ths sec slower?
Well since I haven't driven it I have to go by mag. numbers. The 07 G35 sport was clocked between 5.2-5.4 sec depending on whatever review you read. The G35 sports weighs in at 3,538 lbs and the AWD at 3,704 lbs. Those extra pounds make a difference. So I'm guessing, and it is purely a guess, between 5.4-5.6 sec. for the AWD model. However when testing the sport and AWD back to back, I'm not so sure you'd feel 2/10ths of a second.

Old 10-15-2006 | 04:55 PM
|
Originally Posted by N50
Well since I haven't driven it I have to go by mag. numbers. The 07 G35 sport was clocked between 5.2-5.4 sec depending on whatever review you read. The G35 sports weighs in at 3,538 lbs and the AWD at 3,704 lbs. Those extra pounds make a difference. So I'm guessing, and it is purely a guess, between 5.4-5.6 sec. for the AWD model. However when testing the sport and AWD back to back, I'm not so sure you'd feel 2/10ths of a second.
Gotcha. I can live with 5.6. Still one heck of a fast beast.

Old 10-15-2006 | 06:32 PM
Thought I read somewhere that the AWD gear ratios were slightly different to offset the extra weight. Therefore, acceleration would be about the same, although RPM's etc would be a bit higher and overall gas mileage would suffer a bit. Not sure where I read this, there has been soo much information floating about lately.

All things considered, I wouldn't worry too much about the power loss of AWD. Decide if you need/want AWD, and realize it will come with a slight gas mileage penalty.

Edit: OK, the AWD does not have different ratios, (according to http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2...n/specs.shtml).

Last edited by mikepro; 10-15-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2006 | 08:19 PM
im just pissed you can't get paddle shifters or stick with an "X" otherwise i would be all over an X

Old 10-16-2006 | 08:28 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Originally Posted by kraqcommando
im just pissed you can't get paddle shifters or stick with an "X" otherwise i would be all over an X
And don't forget the fugly 17" rims...

Those are the reasons why I'm not sure at this point whether I really want to go with AWD.

Question to AWD experts: Since the Atessa is not an "always on" AWD (such as the Quatro), Is there any significance to the fact that the car needs to detect slippage first before kicking in the fronts? I mean, wouldn't it be almost too late at some situations?

Old 10-16-2006 | 03:14 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by Speedoholic
And don't forget the fugly 17" rims...

Those are the reasons why I'm not sure at this point whether I really want to go with AWD.

Question to AWD experts: Since the Atessa is not an "always on" AWD (such as the Quatro), Is there any significance to the fact that the car needs to detect slippage first before kicking in the fronts? I mean, wouldn't it be almost too late at some situations?
The system works like this:

From a start- 75% of the power goes to the rear - 25% of the power is directed at the front wheels.

At about 20mph, the car reverts to 100% RWD, unless slip is detected.

It is possible to lock the diff using the snow button- A 50/50 split by pressing the activating this mode. This split stays active until 20mph when the system again goes into active mode applying power to the wheels that need it, etc.
Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, this mode changes the throttle mapping to a mode that is less aggressive in nature.

How does it work in practice. Fairly seemless actually. Impressive. It's really a RWD car, however when you are in snow, the system is hyper active yet very gentile in terms of how power is applied. Not sudden, rather it seemlingly rolls power on. Works very effectively.

In comparison to the Torsen equipped Audis, I'd say this system is more fun. It doesn't feel like it's sapping power as is the case with the Audis. Overall, I'd say the Audi is probably the better proposition if you live in the upper penninsula of Michigan. However, I wanted a part time 4WD system that was performance oriented. That and the G had a ton more power than any Audi short of the S4, and it was an easy decision to make.

A typical use case for me is a Tahoe trip- 225miles.
I'll start out in the Bay where we don't get snow. End up in Tahoe where you can get feet of snow. After skiing one day, when it had snowed all day, my car was buried in about 1-foot of fresh. I was able to bust through without a problem. That's when I was sold.

This is a similar system to that which was used in the Skyline GT-R- Though there are some differences.

In terms of the differences between the RWD G and the AWD G, I can only speak to the current 06 and older model.

The 06- and older G had a different rear gear than that found in the 5AT. This meant slightly quicker off the line performance in the G, even though the car was heavier. However, the G35x also sits at a higher RPM on the freeway. Additionally, I'd argue that the 5AT car is significantly quicker at highway speeds when it can better use it's "normal" rear gear and hit third when the G35x can only hit 4th for example.

Another big difference is the steering on the G35x. It basically uses a heavier steel setup up front and sits higher off the ground. I've found the steering to be heavier than in a 5AT, albeit with a touch less feel.

And finally, with the extra weight and shorter rear gear comes the penalty with mileage. I've learned to be gentle. Most of my driving is done in town. I see around 18 to 19. 15mpg if I'm a jerk <g>

I've found you can smell the clutch or fluid or something after extended beating in the snow. Nothing bad, and it doesn't effect performance.
This car is uber stable in imclement conditions. I use a nice M&S on the stock 17s in the winter- They are not the best performance tire, though they do offer a nice compromise and they get me past chain control on Donner Pass.

Currently I'm running the 18 inch sport wheels which improve the handling dramatically.

2007-

Two things I was hoping for didn't happen-
The new car still doesn't have a fold-down rear seat.
There is no 6-speed Attessa-ES equipped model. Bummer.
If they had those two things, I'd be down there tomorrow paying list.

The new models are different in that they all use the same rear end gearing. Additionally, they all get a rather large power boost.
The 5AT will surely be quicker off the line this time around, in normal driving.
I'm guessing that by the old standard, this new motor is putting out about 320hp at the flywheel (guessing). If that's true, the G35x should be quicker even with the extra weight.
Not sure about 0-60 times. However, I bet the 0-100 time will come down about a 1/2 second which would be a very solid improvement.

My advice: At the end of the day, all similar year sedans will post similar 0-60 times. Real world performance may be dramatically different, in terms of feel.
0-60 is not the measurement that tells you about a car's power. Look at a stock WRX for example, very quick off the line, falls on it's face, by comparison by 100mph.

0-100 tells you oh so much about the performance you can expect. The best time I've heard for a G35x was 0-100 in 15.6 seconds. I imagine the 6-speed is probably in the high 14s- However, 0-60 is 5.9 for both. See what I'm getting at? All Road and Track numbers.
One other thing about the G35x, replicating the magazine numbers would be easy if assuming you were on the same track surface as the car requires very little brain power to drive.

Last edited by Lip; 10-16-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2006 | 04:07 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Originally Posted by Lip
The system works like this:

From a start- 75% of the power goes to the rear - 25% of the power is directed at the front wheels.

At about 20mph, the car reverts to 100% RWD, unless slip is detected.

It is possible to lock the diff using the snow button- A 50/50 split by pressing the activating this mode. This split stays active until 20mph when the system again goes into active mode applying power to the wheels that need it, etc.
Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, this mode changes the throttle mapping to a mode that is less aggressive in nature.

How does it work in practice. Fairly seemless actually. Impressive. It's really a RWD car, however when you are in snow, the system is hyper active yet very gentile in terms of how power is applied. Not sudden, rather it seemlingly rolls power on. Works very effectively.

In comparison to the Torsen equipped Audis, I'd say this system is more fun. It doesn't feel like it's sapping power as is the case with the Audis. Overall, I'd say the Audi is probably the better proposition if you live in the upper penninsula of Michigan. However, I wanted a part time 4WD system that was performance oriented. That and the G had a ton more power than any Audi short of the S4, and it was an easy decision to make.

A typical use case for me is a Tahoe trip- 225miles.
I'll start out in the Bay where we don't get snow. End up in Tahoe where you can get feet of snow. After skiing one day, when it had snowed all day, my car was buried in about 1-foot of fresh. I was able to bust through without a problem. That's when I was sold.

This is a similar system to that which was used in the Skyline GT-R- Though there are some differences.

In terms of the differences between the RWD G and the AWD G, I can only speak to the current 06 and older model.

The 06- and older G had a different rear gear than that found in the 5AT. This meant slightly quicker off the line performance in the G, even though the car was heavier. However, the G35x also sits at a higher RPM on the freeway. Additionally, I'd argue that the 5AT car is significantly quicker at highway speeds when it can better use it's "normal" rear gear and hit third when the G35x can only hit 4th for example.

Another big difference is the steering on the G35x. It basically uses a heavier steel setup up front and sits higher off the ground. I've found the steering to be heavier than in a 5AT, albeit with a touch less feel.

And finally, with the extra weight and shorter rear gear comes the penalty with mileage. I've learned to be gentle. Most of my driving is done in town. I see around 18 to 19. 15mpg if I'm a jerk <g>

I've found you can smell the clutch or fluid or something after extended beating in the snow. Nothing bad, and it doesn't effect performance.
This car is uber stable in imclement conditions. I use a nice M&S on the stock 17s in the winter- They are not the best performance tire, though they do offer a nice compromise and they get me past chain control on Donner Pass.

Currently I'm running the 18 inch sport wheels which improve the handling dramatically.

2007-

Two things I was hoping for didn't happen-
The new car still doesn't have a fold-down rear seat.
There is no 6-speed Attessa-ES equipped model. Bummer.
If they had those two things, I'd be down there tomorrow paying list.

The new models are different in that they all use the same rear end gearing. Additionally, they all get a rather large power boost.
The 5AT will surely be quicker off the line this time around, in normal driving.
I'm guessing that by the old standard, this new motor is putting out about 320hp at the flywheel (guessing). If that's true, the G35x should be quicker even with the extra weight.
Not sure about 0-60 times. However, I bet the 0-100 time will come down about a 1/2 second which would be a very solid improvement.

My advice: At the end of the day, all similar year sedans will post similar 0-60 times. Real world performance may be dramatically different, in terms of feel.
0-60 is not the measurement that tells you about a car's power. Look at a stock WRX for example, very quick off the line, falls on it's face, by comparison by 100mph.

0-100 tells you oh so much about the performance you can expect. The best time I've heard for a G35x was 0-100 in 15.6 seconds. I imagine the 6-speed is probably in the high 14s- However, 0-60 is 5.9 for both. See what I'm getting at? All Road and Track numbers.
One other thing about the G35x, replicating the magazine numbers would be easy if assuming you were on the same track surface as the car requires very little brain power to drive.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

I'm less concerned with the performance numbers (after all, we are talking split seconds here anyways), and am more concerned with the things you get on the RWD models - mainly the Sport package. I'm really torn on that one. I live in the NE, and on one hand could really use an AWD, but on the other hand, I really hate the 17"s and the height of the car. I think I'll be going for the RWD and just slap on some A/S tires when the time comes. Those tires (AVON AS Tech500) served me good in the NE winter while I had them on the coupe.

I just can't forgo the 18" wheels and paddle shifters...

Old 10-16-2006 | 04:13 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Speed. I've posted a link to an Automobile magazine article that compares the RWD/AWD G. Very interesting comments about the handling dynamics. I think it might have included a comparision to Audi's system vs Infiniti's system (AWD systems)

Old 10-16-2006 | 04:28 PM
Would it be possible to put all season tires on the stock 18” Sport model wheels?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWD question