Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

OEM Security System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
OEM Security System Upgrade

Taken from: http://kptechnologies.com/forums/vie...hp?p=1335#1335

This is a mod that can be performed in a matter of minutes, with a very low cost, that will fix one of two major OEM security flaws that most Nissan/Infiniti vehicles have been plauged with for the past 10 years.

This was performed on my 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe and took me about 15 minutes from start to finish.

The goal is to eliminate the ability to unlock the doors, lower the windows, and disarm the OEM security system electronically by using the key in the drivers door key cylinder. This 'feature' has proven to be a major security risk.

After this mod has been completed the OEM remote will still function as normal (unlock, disarm, windows down) but the key in the drivers door cylinder will ONLY unlock the drivers door. No disarm, no window down, and no passenger side unlock.

Many people have simply cut one wire to acomplish this, but I wanted to take it a step further, in case I ever lose my remote or my batteries die and I need to use the key to enter the car when the alarm is armed.

The solution is to hide a push button switch underneath the door lock buttons. The panel pulls up easily, and there is more then enough room to hide a switch.

Here is the pushbutton I used:

First, gently pull up on the panel holding the switches. Once it's removed you will be able to find the wire that electronically disarms the vehicle. It will read 5vdc under normal conditions, and will read 0vdc when the key is turned in the drivers side key cylinder to the 'unlock' position (in my 04 coupe the wire is light blue).

Here you can see the light blue wire, and the black wire is right under it:

Once this wire has been located, cut it (at least 2" from the end of the wire so there is enough wire to splice it back together). The half of the wire that goes away from the switch panel needs to be taped off (insulated so that it won't short out). The other half, the half that goes to the switch panel, needs to be connected to one side of the momentary switch. The other side of the momentary switch needs to be connected to a ground (I used the large black wire in the switch panel harness).

Here it is all hooked up (disregard the purple wire, it's part of the KPtechnologies OEM Remote Window Up/Down module):

Now, place the button down in the cavity beneath the switch panel and put everything back together!

With this modification, if you ever need to disarm the OEM security system without using the remote (lost, broken, or dead batteries) you just need to use your key to unlock the door, open the door up (the alarm will go off) then quickly pop the switch panel off, dig the hidden button out and push it. This will instantly silence the alarm!