Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

GT Motorsports: JWT 530BB, GTM Twin Disc, FCon VPro, Water/Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:26 AM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GT Motorsports: JWT 530BB, GTM Twin Disc, FCon VPro, Water/Meth Injection

It has been a hard road for Curtis, first he had a Stillen SC, brought it in for us to upgrade to a stage 4. This vehicle has always been very sensitive to detonation even with the stillen. After upgrading to stage 4 he was still disappointed with the power so we swapped that out for a JWT 530BB kit with a VPro and Water/Meth to help with the detonation issues. Car is doing much better now but still more sensitive to timing than most VQs we have tuned.

"Road Runner"

2003 G35 Coupe

JWT 530BB Twin Turbo System
JWT FMU with Walbro 255
HKS FCon VPro
Deatchwerk 600cc Injectors
Still True Dual Catback
Defi Boost Gauge
Innovate LC-1/XD-16 combo wideband
GTM/Exedy Twin Disc Carbon Clutch
BLitz SBC Boost Controller
Samco Hoses
GTM ECU Flash
Cooling Mist Water/Meth Injection System

Before and After, 91 Octane

9 PSI, 91 Octane

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3QaDL771bew&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3QaDL771bew&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Old 04-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
What a torque line! The car looks like its a blast to drive with that power curve, especially in DD.

George, would you say that an Fcon VPro would really help the engine's health even at low boost? I'm sure the VPro is a must for high boost vehicles... just wondering if safety is a huge concern for a low boost VQ, if the VPro would still be the way to go as opposed to a piggy back.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned
you guys are putting them out left and right ! Always lots of pics to . Another great looking build !!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Congrats - sharp build and great power improvement. Any more technical details on the sensitivity to timing? I would think the water injection would cure the predisposition to detonate. Do you feel additional cooling mods would be the next step?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice job fellas. Now it's time to get rid of that fugly Stillen hood.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking good....has anyone seen if by changing the two IC's to one what that does to the power? Looking good, nice numbers.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Very nice, another great project from GTM

Old 04-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Wow!! Wasn't expecting my car to make it to a thread on driver, but thanks GTM for posting it. The car is a blast to drive and with the water/meth kit, it has that added insurance along with the feel of 93 octane. I wasn't after big HP, but Sam did a terrific job in tuning it. i still get that OEM feel. The twin carbon clutch is amazing. The car looks stock, feels stocks, but really isn't when the torque kicks in. Thanks Sam and the GTM crew for their help and support.

i put a lot of time, money, and effort in the car to make it safe and for a daily driver. Like most of us, I love this car to death. However due to unforeseen circumstances, I may have to put the car up for sale. Sadly as it may sound, I really haven't had much time to enjoy the car. This is just a heads up to anyone who might be interested. Please PM me if interested.

Thanks,
Curtis

Old 04-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
mokc,

Sorry to hear you might have to get rid of it. Are the "unforeseen circumstances" legal issues with CARB?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrads my brother !!! I am very impressed !!!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor
I would never recommend a piggy back system to anyone, they are inconsistent, and very dangerous on a stock block. You have to tune them super conservative in the event the OEM ECU decides to add a couple degrees of timing one day, or run a little leaner, if the stock ECU does that and you are on an aggressive tune, bye bye VQ

I believe a standalone EMS is even more important on a stock block than a built engine, its pretty simple, if you get slight detonation here and there on a built block it can take it, you have much stronger rods, forged pistons, better head studs, etc.

The same detonation on a stock block can be deadly, therefore I complete disagree with statements such as "Oh your only make XYZ whp on a stock block, you don't need a standalone".

A HKS FCon VPro, Haltech EMS, MoTeC, etc. are all excellent choices, I choose the VPro because of its low cost, ease of integration, and proven track record to work, and work well - every time.

Now if I was a big baller, no question my car would be on the new MoTeC box

So basically, if you plan on going FI on a stock block, GET A STANDALONE!

Hope this helps,

-George
GT Motorsports

*Disclaimer: This is my opinion, and only that.

Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
What a torque line! The car looks like its a blast to drive with that power curve, especially in DD.

George, would you say that an Fcon VPro would really help the engine's health even at low boost? I'm sure the VPro is a must for high boost vehicles... just wondering if safety is a huge concern for a low boost VQ, if the VPro would still be the way to go as opposed to a piggy back.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:13 PM
George,

For the HKS GT SC complete kit, on a stock block DD with one of GTM's custom 9 or 12 lb pulleys, is the fcon-is that comes with the HKS kit sufficient for a good reliable and safe tune, or is the v-pro that much better than the is, forfor such a purpose, in your opinion?

Thx.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:19 PM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor
The VPro is the way to go, the F-Con iS is a very capable piggy back with a lot of nice features, but at the end of the day - its still a piggyback.

A F-Con VPro or equivalent should be a MUST on any stock block FI setup.

Again I am not saying others won't work, they have been proven to work, I am just saying a VPro is so much better, for a couple more thousand, why not?

Also we do provide trade in programs to upgrade to a VPro from your previous EMS.

-George
GT Motorsports

Old 04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by George@GTM
The VPro is the way to go, the F-Con iS is a very capable piggy back with a lot of nice features, but at the end of the day - its still a piggyback.

A F-Con VPro or equivalent should be a MUST on any stock block FI setup.

Again I am not saying others won't work, they have been proven to work, I am just saying a VPro is so much better, for a couple more thousand, why not?

Also we do provide trade in programs to upgrade to a VPro from your previous EMS.

-George
GT Motorsports
Thx George. Actually I ordered a HKS GT SC for revup modified to fit my G coupe through Sam. He told me it would come with the is. I am interested in upgrading to the vpro, but Sam said he had too many is's at the moment to promise an upgrade discount to the vpro. I hope by the time the kit is in and made to fit, there is a good chance that an upgrade can be made.

George could you pm me the details of what a possible upgrade from the is to the vpro would be (if possible) on my kit ordered through GTM (cost)? I can send you the invoice that Sam sent me if you would like to see my order.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor
Unfortunately, Sam handles all of that stuff, Im just here for support and questions. I will let him know that your would like a quote on the upgrade cost though!

Take care,

-George
GTM

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Thx George. Actually I ordered a HKS GT SC for revup modified to fit my G coupe through Sam. He told me it would come with the is. I am interested in upgrading to the vpro, but Sam said he had too many is's at the moment to promise an upgrade discount to the vpro. I hope by the time the kit is in and made to fit, there is a good chance that an upgrade can be made.

George could you pm me the details of what a possible upgrade from the is to the vpro would be (if possible) on my kit ordered through GTM (cost)? I can send you the invoice that Sam sent me if you would like to see my order.

Thanks!