V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

My morning at Fast Intentions ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
My morning at Fast Intentions ...

First, the BEFORE picture from the rear:

True to tradition, I thought I’d start sharing on the development of the 2007+ exhaust system for the G35 sedan by the folks over at Fast Intentions.

Some of you have been asking what ever happened to the first company I tried to work with last year. In short, they kept giving me empty promises and in the end, they did not even try to deliver. I was not very happy with the way I was being tossed aside again and again and said enough with them.

If you’ve been in these forums for a while, you’ll see many positive comments about Fast Intentions’ exhaust and their workmanship. I went over to talk to Tony at FI before the holidays. It was coincidentally the day of their open house AND the day they installed their exhaust on Hexxum001’s supercharged coupe. There’s another tread in here about why he finally settled on FI vs the two other systems he’s had on his car. Needless to say I was pretty impressed and decided to work with them after the holidays to see what they can do.

I dropped my car off with them this morning. While I was there and the car was on the lift, we took a good long look at the exhaust system. Everyone was kinda surprised how restrictive it looked. The tubing looked like 1.25” to 1.5” at some locations. At others, it may go up to 2”.

Based on what they’ve learned from doing work on the earlier sedans, they decided to go with a system based on 2.25” tubing. There are several reasons for this. From their previous attempts, droning has been a problem on sedan systems using 2.5” tubing. Also with all the restrictions in the 07+ system, it can be surmised that Infiniti probably paid more attention to low end torque.

It also turns out the 07+ exhaust tips are really a cross between true oval and a round tips. The prototype tip configuration for my car will be round. The sample of the true oval tip they had looked a little “extreme” so they decided the round would look closest to stock. In the mean time, they are going to do some research to find an option that is more “stock” looking for those that desire them.

Whats going to happen next is I’ll be picking up my car either late today or more likely early tomorrow for some real world testing for a week or so to see how the system sounds. If everything works fine, the car will go to the dyno to see what kind of gains can be had. The plan is to do both a baseline and an after install run on the same day to reduce the atmospheric variables. Based on the numbers, they will make design adjustments if necessary. Last, they will build up assembly jigs for production.

I believe there is a Santa Monica meet on 1/5 which I was planning on attending for a little while if anyone of you folks in the Southern CA area are interested. It would be great to get feedback from others besides myself. BUT … I’m not sure how the planning is going since there is supposed to be a major rainstorm that day, so I’m kinda watching that meet thread myself.

If all goes well, there will finally be another exhaust option for our cars!

Last edited by terrycs; 01-03-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terry,

I am so damn jealous of you.

I look forward to your updates.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be sure to keep us posted Terry.

We're all VERY jealous and of course you will have to make sure to post pictures and sound clips. I'm glad they're being catious of droning. That is my main concern. I would be hapy if the exhaust sounds like a coupe's stock exhaust, where you can hear it if you put your foot in it, but the sound isn't too intrusive.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:00 PM
stock exhaust looks like crap next to an upgraded one..i have a picture somewhere of the full stock exhaust laid out on the floor next to my Stillen and you are right it did seem like 1.25'' - 1.50'' in some areas as opposed to the stillen which is relatively much larger. I dont know how the back pressure works on our systems, and i dont know if going bigger loses power, but i really dont care if the power loss is minimal the looks alone of an aftermarket system on our G's is worth every penny.
Im sure anyone who has an aftermarket exhaust can vouch for that aswell.

Cant wait to see the pictures when you get her back

Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I love Terry's "My mornning at..." emails...

Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Latest update:

They are about 3/4 done as of 5:00 PM. Looks like pick up time will be tomorrow afternoon.

It also appears the Santa Monica meet this Saturday will be called off due the the heavy rain expected in the forecast.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW, Awesome Terry! Can't wait to see htis Exhaust! I like the Sound clips of thier exhaust on the Coupes, So Can't wait to see the Results of your Car Tomorrow!! You are One Lucky guy to get all these Aftermarket guy's to use your Car as a testbed, Wish they had dealers like that here in hawaii! But thats just wishfull thinking!! Maybe I should move to Cali?! LOL

Last edited by 808MIKE; 01-04-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
OMG Terry, it's you again? J/K

Seriously tho', you're getting all the good stuffs!

I'm so jealous. LOL

All I can say is.... I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE FINAL PRODUCT!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:12 AM
teamsolo.net im-integline
ill be their very soon to. glad to hear how happy you are.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
cant wait to see this...

Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Looking forward to your review

Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FINALLY! after hearing their products on other vq power nissans, i have been crossing my fingers for this.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Terry. . .I think your G is the nicest I've seen. . .and its only going to get that much better. . . how envious I am. . .

what other mods do you have in mind?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
I'm still repeatedly hitting on the F5 now................ xD

Actually, I was so curious about the update, I had to get up early today.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
any update?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My morning at Fast Intentions ...