V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

My morning at Fast Intentions ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Clip sounds great! I have not been that interested in an exhaust but, well maybe I am now.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by EWG35
The Clip sounds great! I have not been that interested in an exhaust but, well maybe I am now.

+1...Had not heard any aftermarket exhaust I liked until this one!!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well since I work for MagnaFlow, and they are using our products, I will help you guys out here with some technical answers-

The muffler used in that system has an internal X pipe- so you are getting an X pipe with that system, it just happens to be in the muffler-

How does an X pipe work?

When a motor runs, the exhaust exits through the exhaust system in pulses- when a pulse enters into an X pipe from one side, it creates a vacuum effect in the other pipe-

Then when the exhaust valve opens, the exhaust is not just being pushed out by the motor, its being pulled out by the exhaust-

By crossing the paths directly, this also serves a second function in sound reduction- so it will take the drone out of the exhaust-

Very Nice- it looks like they did a great job putting this exhaust system together-

Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Thanks for the positive input...

Tony

Old 01-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I like what I see and hear

Dyno please! its killing me!

Last edited by Calpolytlo; 01-08-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Yea, i'm curious to see dyno results from just a cat-back.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm curious to hear from Terry as to how his co-worker and wife like the exhaust. He had mentioned his wife thought it was a little loud.

Terry has she changed her mind???

Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice!!!

if i can bring in my own mufflers (universal fit) and let them do the pipe, that would be SUPER!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 AM
teamsolo.net im-integline
cant wait to drop my baby off now on monday. The coupe exhaust will be worked on to very soon.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:22 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Here are my driving impressions so far after having the car with FI exhaust for 3 days. Overall, the sound level is fine to me as is. The exhaust is louder than stock and is noticeable but not overbearing from inside the car with the windows up. Again, I can easily carry on a normal conversation with people in the car as well as on the hands free cell phone. Of all the people that rode in it, it seems all the guys liked it and all the gals say they prefer no exhaust sound at all.

Something to keep in mind … any aftermarket exhaust that produces more power will add more noise over the stock system. From outside the car, it is VERY noticeable to others. I casually pulled up into a restaurant parking lot on a rainy Sunday to meet my family for dinner and the first thing my bro asked me was if I put in a new exhaust. He said he heard a car coming and he looked out the lobby window and saw it was my car. BTW, he’s got an ‘04 sedan. I have not had the opportunity to stand outside the car or to do a drive by yet. It’s too difficult to do after I get off work because it’s already dark outside, so I’d like to try and get that done this weekend too. Any local 07/08 sedan owner interseted in this thing wanna come by and help do a drive-by with and without exhaust sound clip comparison?

One thing I have definitely noticed is that the car does seem to pick up a little faster and what little engine braking I got out of my automatic (by letting off the gas and coasting) is virtually eliminated.

In summary, I would go for the FI exhaust assuming it produces decent power gains and it is priced competitively. Reducing the sound output a little by using the Sebring mufflers would be icing on the cake for me.

As far as the development process goes, again, keep in mind the Magnaflow mufflers will be replaced by Sebring’s which will reduce the sound level. FI is still planning on keeping the Magnaflow mid-body muffler with crossover. I was told the Sebring mufflers are not available until around mid-February.

Saturday, 1/19 has been tentatively set for dyno testing. I was told three passes with the FI exhaust since it is already on my car. Then they’ll switch the exhaust back to stock right on the dyno and do three passes stock. They’ll take their exhaust back to the shop and use them to build up production jigs while I have my stock pipes for a little while. Once all is done and the assuming the power output looks decent, they’ll bring me back in the do a final fit test using a system made from the new jigs.

Then good part … they plan on setting up a one time group buy to get the first systems out at discounted prices.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:54 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
I can help you do the drive by... since mine doesn't have a exaust yet. Besides, I really want to hear the exaust myself. PM me the detail on when and where. I'll definitely be there.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
Then good part … they plan on setting up a one time group buy to get the first systems out at discounted prices.
music to my ears.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 AM
JMN
The few usual questions:

- How's the weight compared to stock?
- It looks like ground clearance stays about the same?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 AM

I didn't weigh the two systems, but they are comparable to me. You'd get way more weight swings between a full and empty tank of gas. FI has my stock exhaust right now, so if they have time, they maybe able to weigh it. If not, I'll try to get something when they dyno on the 19th.

I guess that is one of those things that I've always wondered about Ti exhausts. What makes them better, the weight saviings? I don't mean to bash them, but I don't think the weight savings justifies the price.

Ground clearance is pretty much the same. The low point of the car is the mid-body muffler, but only by about 1/8" below the cross brace. No issues for me with slow bumps or driveways so far.

Another thing I can add that might put some perpective into noise while driving on the freeway is that I actually hear more road noise through my 20" wheels and tires than from my exhaust at cruising speeds.

Originally Posted by JMN
The few usual questions:

- How's the weight compared to stock?
- It looks like ground clearance stays about the same?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 AM

Thanks! I'll PM you as soon as I find a suitable street in a nearby vacant industrial park.

Originally Posted by Fast07GSdn
I can help you do the drive by... since mine doesn't have a exaust yet. Besides, I really want to hear the exaust myself. PM me the detail on when and where. I'll definitely be there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My morning at Fast Intentions ...