Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Override NAV safety?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Override NAV safety?

Hey peeps,

Anyone know if it is possible to override either of these?

1) Annoying startup screen.

2) Inablility to input a destination address while the car is moving. (LAME!!)

The first one isn't such a big deal, but it would be nice to skip. The second one is my real beef with the 2005 NAV. I understand why they put it in, but hot damn is it ever annoying. I'm hoping for a hack of some sort, or maybe a source of "modded" DVD's.. Anyone?

Jake
2005 G35

Old 02-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Exactly! I had a passenger in the car the other day and we were trying to find an address in SF, so the passenger went to input the address into the NAV unit and they couldn't! So we had to pull over and THEN we could enter the address.

Fricking stupid.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is/was a DIY go look for it. I remember seeing it before the forum upgraded. I had the direct link to it, but now it doesnt work cuz of the update. To do that, you need to mess with some cables below the glove box I think. I read something about short circuiting it or something. I dont think that is something you can do yourself, but go ahead look for it in the DIY section.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:40 PM
I just looked through all the DIY posts and couldn't find a thing on it. A friend of mine suggested that the fix is probably similar to the same issue he had on the Lexus IS300.. basically you snip the "speed sensor" wire that goes to the NAV unit, so it never knows if you're moving, thereby bypassing that lame little bit of "protection". Time to do a little more digging.

If anyone else knows more on this, please do chime in!

Old 02-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You need to put a switch on the VSS wire.

If the switch is turned off, thus interrupting the input to the Nav, then the car won't be accurately represented on the nav screen-- if the wheels aren't spinning, then your nav can only update through GPS, not through speed data as well. You input your address, then flip the switch back to ON, thus allowing the Nav to update with the VSS input. The wire was green/white, btw. In the 2005+, I'm not sure.

I'll look for the FAQ.

G

Old 02-14-2005, 06:46 PM
I checked all the DIY also and its not there anymore. Maybe it wasnt on th DIY section, but on the Technical modification section. I think it is there. I remember that the person who did it did not post all the steps meaning its not a DIY. It must be on the Technical section. Look there do a search for GPS under Technical you might see it. Add the word STARTUP and see what you come out with.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my startup screen bypassed. In the G its a very intensive job and in my opinion not worth it...

You have to remove the ENTIRE center console and disasemble half of the Navi system. Then, you have to solder a wire directly to the board of the Navi system. Then, you have to put it all back together. I scratched a piece of my center console putting it all back in to top it off.

Now, when my car starts (and the screen is up) the screen flashes for a split second and then the 'OK' button is electronically pushed via a module that is hidden under the dash. If the screen isn't up it doesn't work though, but I never put my screen down.

If you are interested in trying it out PM me and I'll give you more details.

As far as I know I am the ONLY G35 with the bypassed startup screen

Old 02-14-2005, 06:57 PM
from https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...hlight=startup you get a link to http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1 which supposedly tells you how.

If you are lazy
It's easy. Take off teh glove box, then find the 3 multiwire plugs that plug into the back of the DVD Rom. Remove the one farthest toward the passenger side. It will have a white/Green wire there. Cut that wire and put some wire on each end of the cut wire. Run thes 2 new wires to a switch. When you want to program while driving, just flip the switch, program away, then flip the switch back. While the switch is off, it will lose you position on the road, since the car will think you are no longer moving, but as soon as you turn it back on it will find you again right away.

I used the swiitch that was already in the glove box (coupe only I think) the switch that turns off the truunk switch. I mean, why would I ever want to turn off the trunk switch, I will never have my car valeted, and that is the only reason it is there. So mine still looks totally factory, and the switch is factory and hidden in the glove box.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/19521-program-navigation-while-moving-diy.html

Here's the DIY, but the pics disappeared when we moved the site over. Very descriptive, though.

G

Old 02-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Ok, the diy to override the navigation safety feature is located here, https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...highlight=hack This will allow the navigation to be programed while moving.

To bypass the startup screen, there is a nonag unit which can be purchased from here, www.generatorlabs.com

Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by GeoBau
You need to put a switch on the VSS wire.

If the switch is turned off, thus interrupting the input to the Nav, then the car won't be accurately represented on the nav screen-- if the wheels aren't spinning, then your nav can only update through GPS, not through speed data as well. You input your address, then flip the switch back to ON, thus allowing the Nav to update with the VSS input. The wire was green/white, btw. In the 2005+, I'm not sure.
G
OMG what a terrible hack. I mean, sure, it's effective, but flipping a switch like that just to bypass the speed sensor seems kinda ghetto. I suppose I was hoping for a more transparent, elegant solution.

Perhaps I will just deal with it.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by tonypgst
Ok, the diy to override the navigation safety feature is located here, https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...highlight=hack This will allow the navigation to be programed while moving.

To bypass the startup screen, there is a nonag unit which can be purchased from here, www.generatorlabs.com

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the links, this is some good information. I'm still not sold on the whole "flip a switch to temporarily fool the NAV unit", but it appears that's really the only choice. Poop.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
It's very easy to do and not "ghetto" at all. You can use your trunk switch so it's very clean.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:50 PM
There for sure is an easier way. The reason i say this is in My X5 i put a pop out screen, in order to watch DVD's the park brake has to be up. My stereo shop did a mod where they made the car think it was stationary and with the park brake up. I know this install is only like a under 100 bucks so im going to get this figured out and let everyone know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Override NAV safety?