WTB: 350z HR Y-pipe! Can pay instantly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, Bob. Hope this advice helps. The reason that I have a Y-pipe for sale is that I'm in the process of upgrading my 350ZR. Here's my advice, go all out and I think you won't regret it! Mixing stock stuff with upgrades can cause performance choke points and not much in power gains. However, do it resonably.That is quality and reputable components and such. If your state permits HFC's, headers, etc then do it! The kick in pants (i.e. power increase) is the ultimate reward. Not sure what your goal is as far as performance, but I hope this helps. BTW - I would also get a quality tune too on a dyno when all mods are in and ready.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks man for the pointers. I definitely appreciate it. I would only be installing the stock Y pipe for a few days, Just so I can put the exhaust on when I get it, then i'll switch y pipes when I find one less than $150 haha. Also, this might be a stupid question, but what size bolts am I going to need to install the G35 extension piece and will I/do I need to buy rubber gaskets for both ends of the extension piece?

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by bobruggiero
Thanks man for the pointers. I definitely appreciate it. I would only be installing the stock Y pipe for a few days, Just so I can put the exhaust on when I get it, then i'll switch y pipes when I find one less than $150 haha. Also, this might be a stupid question, but what size bolts am I going to need to install the G35 extension piece and will I/do I need to buy rubber gaskets for both ends of the extension piece?

Thanks!
You sound like you're going to be alright! To answer your questions above...I don't know. I've never done work on a G. Only Z's. I would imagine that there are many, many similarities. But, again I can't tell you because I've never been under a G. Now Z's, I can really help. Even 'old' Z32's. However, this extension, is it an exhaust piece? If it is where will this "rubber" gasket be, in the heat of things. There are high temp gaskets but I wouldn't do it. If it's standard exhaust linkage size (i.e. like my old Y-Pipe to cats connection) I use this:

This is a graphite gasket from Stillen. If you're using Permatex "high temp" rubber stuff for exhaust gaskets, please throw it out! Also, do not reuse exhaust gaskets, use new ones.

G/L with your upgrades.

H.

Attached Thumbnails 350z HR Y-pipe! Can pay instantly-img_0993.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 PM
The extension piece is just a pipe with 2 flanges on either end..its about 8 inches long from end to end and it goes on the midpipe section so that the NIsmo Exhaust will fit the G35's extra length.

As for the gaskets, What about just having my exhaust shop sell me some gaskets? Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
The extension piece is just a pipe with 2 flanges on either end..its about 8 inches long from end to end and it goes on the midpipe section so that the NIsmo Exhaust will fit the G35's extra length.

As for the gaskets, What about just having my exhaust shop sell me some gaskets? Thanks and sorry for all the questions.
That sounds like a good deal. They should have quality enough stuff. Good copper/metal gaskets that are compressable are like the stock stuff. You just don't want any exhaust leaks. Also, ask what you need. That's how we learn (I know I need more knowledge - you're teaching me too)!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi. I installed the exhaust today. I reused a few gaskets and heard a leak right near the midpipe-muffler connection. It's subtle but there. I'll buy another gasket tomorrow at the muffler shop. So...I like the sound of the nismo. I of course have it with the stock G35 DE y-pipe...will the sound change any when I get the nismo y pipe? I was hoping it would be a little louder. The nismo right now is like stock. maybe a bit deeper at 3k rpms, sounds incredible...just alittle quiet. I'm hoping the nismo y-pipe will open it up a little- What do you think?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Hi. I installed the exhaust today. I reused a few gaskets and heard a leak right near the midpipe-muffler connection. It's subtle but there. I'll buy another gasket tomorrow at the muffler shop. So...I like the sound of the nismo. I of course have it with the stock G35 DE y-pipe...will the sound change any when I get the nismo y pipe? I was hoping it would be a little louder. The nismo right now is like stock. maybe a bit deeper at 3k rpms, sounds incredible...just alittle quiet. I'm hoping the nismo y-pipe will open it up a little- What do you think?

Thanks,
Bob
Yeah, used exhaust gaskets are just that, used! Don't keep the car running even in an open garage until you get good gaskets. As for the exhaust, I heard that Nismo is aggressive but not too loud. I wish my exhaust choice, Stillen, was quietier. But what's loud for others is too quite for some! The Y-pipe probably will make it a little louder. Let's us know when you get it in. G/L with the project!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Y-pipe w/Exhaust system for sale....

It on the my350z site:

http://my350z.com/forum/texas-market...-for-sale.html