FEELER: Borla Cat-Back - New In Box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:12 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
What kind of stock exhaust are you planning? I think you know what I've got planned. I'm copying DaveB with the HR y, stock midpipe, and the smaller 03-04 muffler. I've got the back half of the revup airbox on the way, picked it up on here for $25.

How did you like the difference of your airbox? Any differences that you could tell right away? I wanted one but wasn't going to pay almost $100 for the whole box. I figured I could be patient and wait for a deal, and it worked out. Was your MAF attached with the weird screws? Mine is so I've got to go buy the special tools that remove it before it comes.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I didn't have any unusual bolts, just 10mm or something like that. Pretty straight forward. The only thing I had to do was move one of the spring clips from the stock piece to the Rev-up. I thought I'd gotten the best deal on one at $35 shipped (for the entire intake box). As for any differences, you can hear a little more "whistle", but it's hard for me to tell because I went from entirely stock to Z-tube/spacer/Rev-up in about a 3 week period.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 AM

You got a great deal. Also, I wasn't asking about bolts per se, but the 2 'screws' that fasten the MAF to the outside of the airbox. They have a weird hexagonal shape and I read somewhere on here that you have to buy some anti-theft (or something like that) screwdrivers to remove them. I am about to go find the thread that explains what they are, just checked my e-mail and the box and bump clears are coming today!!

I also sold my K&N and bought a high flow paper filter. Surprisingly, gas mileage went up about 1.5 MPG after the switch. I got a little concerned about the oiled filter messing up the MAF. Just a great example of my obsession with the car. Probably not really necessary, but it made me feel better

Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Hmmm ... (runs to garage, takes a look) ... Aha! Now I know what you're talking about. You mean the 2 "screws" that hold the Mass Airflow Sensor into what I call the Mass Airflow Sensor Housing, right? It looks like they're locking Torx head bolts. Used to see them in my laptop repair days. It's just a Torx bit with a hole in the middle, also called a tamper-proof Torx bit. You've got 2 options: find a tamper-proof Torx (Sears has them, looks like a T15 ot T20) or get a small screwdriver and pry off the little nipple and use a regular Torx bit.

I didn't have to deal with this, and I'm not sure why you do either. I just left the entire MAS Housing intact and unbolted it from the old airbox and moved it to the Rev-up airbox.

EDIT: Do you mean #14 from the attached diagram?

Attached Thumbnails FEELER: Borla Cat-Back - New In Box-aircleaner-duct.jpg  

Last edited by BuckeyeInMI; 05-30-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 AM

I bought a set of the Torx bits at Autozone this morning for under $10. The screws were the #20 size. I bought them because I have no idea what the box back I'm getting today has on it. It might have the #14 part or it might not. I also took out my MAF this morning and sprayed it down with MAF cleaner. It looked clean, but since I'm messing around with the airbox, I figured I might as well do it. Reinstalled everything and couldn't see any difference in idle. I've got to run a few errands this morning so I'll see if there's any difference on the road. Highly doubt it.

Hopefully the mailman comes soon today. It's my first day off in a week so after seven 14 hour days in a row, the timing couldn't be better

Old 05-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Sorry to jack your thread Buck, but I drove the beast after cleaning the MAF and Holy Wake Up Batman!! The car feels like it did after I installed the spacer. I don't know why the cleaning affected the performance like it did, especially since the MAF looked clean, but it is noticeably quicker.

Guess I shouldn't question it, just enjoy it!!

Back on topic, who's gonna take this exhaust off Buckeye's hands?? It's a great deal from a good guy!!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I've got several people I'm talking with, so I expect the exhaust to be gone in the next 48 hours or so. But whoever actually says they want it and pays me gets it.

What did you clean the MAS with? And what filter did you change to? I might as well clean mine since I doubt its ever been done.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 PM

I bought a can of CRC MAF cleaner this morning at Autozone. It was $6. I still can't believe the results. Then I installed the revup box back, and had a blast driving through the hill country out here. I didn't ever reset the ECU either, but the car immediately perked up after the MAF clean. I think I felt a little increase with the revup box, but couldn't really tell a difference. It did add more sound to the intake, that I could tell. I'm too afraid to do the reset, don't want to mess with success!! I've read a lot of threads concerning MAF cleaning and don't remember anyone reporting this kind of improvement.

I changed to a STP paper filter. Got good reviews in my research and was only $10. It claims 10% increase in mileage. I was skeptical, but damn if I haven't seen a 1.5-2 mpg increase since I installed it. We'll see over time I guess. According to my Garmin today I averaged about 14 MPG over 60 miles instead of the usual 19-20. Wonder why!?!?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Sale Pending !! (woohoo!)

Blue, I did the same thing. Bought the CRC and a security Torx, and cleaned the MAS. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as the spacer (it was already pretty clean), but it felt like acceleration was much smoother, especially in the lower RPMs. I didn't think this was possible since this car is already pretty smooth. If anything, it's just a good idea to keep it clean, like I do with the throttle body. Thanks for the info.

I'm gonna keep my K&N for now. I've got a recharge kit, but I haven't needed it yet. Who knows, maybe I sell both later and go back to paper or a dry filter like Amsoil.