Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

For those interested in Pioneer AVIC-Z1 install - pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
For those interested in Pioneer AVIC-Z1 install - pics inside

For anyone considering getting the avic-z1 installed, I am posting pics on how mine turned out. Navi is great, works better than most OEM navi I have seen. I had the mic installed in the driver's door pillar and voice recognition for navi and audio seems to work well so far. The 10 GB music library tends to rip songs at low quality, and causes skips and annoying sounds during the songs. Definitely will be using the Ipod for music. I have IPOD integrated with song/artist text (no pics of that yet). I decided I didn't care about keeping the steering wheel controls and also opted to not install bluetooth or rearview cam. I did have my Dual hvac button soldered onto the new unit and it functions and lights up the same as before. There is a module made by a guy on avic411.com forum to allow DVD video and navi operation while car is in motion, but I did not want to wait for availability/shipping. My installer rigged a toggle switch below the steering column that bypasses the headlights that I can flick on and off 3 times while the system boots. This allows all operations while car is in motion. It seems ghetto, but it was better than turning the hid lights on and off 3 times every time and damaging the ballasts. The unit is pretty flush against the surface, holes had to be redrilled in my original 05 OEM bracket to get it to sit right. I'll try to answer questions about the install/unit to the best of my ablility for those interested and can also recommend a place for install in Nor Cal if needed. Pics aren't the best, will try to get better ones on later.

Patrick

Last edited by patman530; 05-28-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice, looks real clean

Old 05-29-2006, 02:08 AM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
sweet! looks like my car! :-P FYI, you don't have to flick that switch three times. turn the switch on, then turn on your car on and wait for the "start up" screen to show up, then flick the switch off and leave it off. It worked for me.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by Yume
sweet! looks like my car! :-P FYI, you don't have to flick that switch three times. turn the switch on, then turn on your car on and wait for the "start up" screen to show up, then flick the switch off and leave it off. It worked for me.
I just noticed that when I was playing with it today...you got a switch installed too?

Old 05-29-2006, 05:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice

Old 05-29-2006, 05:22 AM
SWEET... **** came out clean !!!

Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Just a thought, my installer flush mounted the mic in the card holder above the driver's side door. Looks alot cleaner. You can keep the steering wheel controls with the Avic Z1 if you want them.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
looks perfectly nice and flush

Old 05-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Archangel
Just a thought, my installer flush mounted the mic in the card holder above the driver's side door. Looks alot cleaner. You can keep the steering wheel controls with the Avic Z1 if you want them.
yeah, you're right, that's probably a better place for the mic, my installer did it without consulting me..but overall i'm satisfied. Also, my installer didn't have the PAC SWI-PS in stock, and I really didn't want to wait any longer to get my deck installed.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:55 AM
If you get a PAC in the future have your installer relocate the mic. I find it convenient to use the steering wheel for volume control. If you are like me you are going to want to keep adding to the system. I'm having the bluetooth unit, backup camera, and Ducatiboy's (avic411.com) dimmer switch installed this week.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by patman530
For anyone considering getting the avic-z1......
My installer rigged a toggle switch below the steering column that bypasses the headlights that I can flick on and off 3 times while the system boots. This allows all operations while car is in motion. It seems ghetto, but it was better than turning the hid lights on and off 3 times every time and damaging the ballasts. ......

Patrick
Very nice Patrick...
FWIW...
Another option is to replace the toggle with a timed puse relay to automate the start up.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:05 PM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by patman530
I just noticed that when I was playing with it today...you got a switch installed too?
no i don't have a switch installed. i've had the unit in for almost two weeks now and already i'm tired of turning on and off my Parking lights (yes parking lights, you don't have to turn on the headlights for this trick to work). i order the flasher from ducatiboy on avic411.com and will install it when it gets in.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:34 PM
If you get a PAC in the future have your installer relocate the mic. I find it convenient to use the steering wheel for volume control. If you are like me you are going to want to keep adding to the system. I'm having the bluetooth unit, backup camera, and Ducatiboy's (avic411.com) dimmer switch installed this week.
You make a good point, there is no doubt that I'm gonna eventually add every option this thing has as well as the steering wheel control...but I was also on somewhat of a budget with this install and got what I absolutely wanted for now. Btw, I paid about $2,250 for everything including the deck from an authorized dealer, soldering work, ipod adapter, finisher, ac controller, and labor. Not bad considering the unit itself retails for about that much.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned
LOOKS SICK!!!! SO CLEAN! I love it. Nice Job.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Yume
no i don't have a switch installed. i've had the unit in for almost two weeks now and already i'm tired of turning on and off my Parking lights (yes parking lights, you don't have to turn on the headlights for this trick to work). i order the flasher from ducatiboy on avic411.com and will install it when it gets in.
Guys, let me know how your Ducatiboy switch installs go. I will definitely be picking one of those up soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: For those interested in Pioneer AVIC-Z1 install - pics inside