Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm thinking i may need a new amp. one that accepts balanced input.. would this make any sense?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Just want to thank dR6 for the great instructions. The install only took me about two hours start to finish and everything works great!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
OK, question 1 of 2..with this wiring, i don't understand how the low outputs from the bose system headunit are balanced? there's only two wires + and - for each channel where balanced signals consists of three wires. Is it safe to tap and connect rca plugs on these wires and connect it to an amp without balanced inputs?
BOSE WIRING COLORS AND SPEAKER SIZES

Head unit output colors

The (+) are all on the same side of the connector.

Head Output Front Right + Orange/Blue
Head Output Front Right - White/Blue

Head Output Front Left + White
Head Output Front Left - Orange

Head Output Rear Right + Blue
Head Output Rear Right - Pink

Head Output Rear Left + Teal
Head Output Rear Left - Purple

Remote Wire Light Blue/ Silver

Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Read the first page of this thread. It tells you what wires to tap into and what to do.

The OEM HU does not have a sub out. The Bose amp takes 4 channels in from the HU and sends 4 channels out left, right, front and rear, and also sends signals to the 6x9 fake subs. I don't know if the 6x9's are stereo, but all that signal splitting happens in the Bose amp.
Question 2 of 2...with 4 channel input...and 8 speakers going out but with the signal splitting happening in the bose amp...is it safe to assume that all the speakers act individually @ 2ohms each? or a pair of speakers together at 2ohms(eg. the front left door + left tweeter = 2ohms since there's only one pair of wires running to these speakers)?

The following users liked this post:
Cubes (01-05-2014)
Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Tweeter impedance doesn't have much effect on the overall load to the amp. The front component system is 2 ohms for each side.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Deezflip
OK, question 1 of 2..with this wiring, i don't understand how the low outputs from the bose system headunit are balanced? there's only two wires + and - for each channel where balanced signals consists of three wires. Is it safe to tap and connect rca plugs on these wires and connect it to an amp without balanced inputs?

bump....anyone? from searching around, seems like plenty of people have already spliced in some RCA plugs and works fine...but it's still a question if their amp accepts balanced or unbalanced inputs.

Does bose indeed have balanced signals?... or is this just a rumor/hype that people just accepted and have spread unknowingly? Any info would be great...thanks guys

Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I can't shed too much light on the subject but for now, I know that my amp that doesn't accept balanced inputs is only putting out a very small amount of bass to the sub. I have ordered a JL 250/1 which does accept balanced inputs and plan on trying that ASAP when it arrived. I'll give you an update when I get a chance

Old 04-10-2008, 12:46 AM
I have a pioneer headunit running to the bose amp recently, and today i just recently took the bose amp out and replaced it with a Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp(2ohm stable), no balanced inputs.

I tapped into the existing wires coming from the headunit(low level outputs) and also used the existing speaker wires to connect to the speakers from the speaker output of the RF amp. I figure this would be great, i don't have to run RCA's and speaker wires. Plus my pioneer headunit shouldn't be putting out balanced outputs.

Problem is, i'm getting a lot of noise. even with the engine off and even with the volume all the way down. I pulled off the rca plugs and it seems like the noise is coming from them.

Are those existing wires i tapped into with rca connectors still have a balanced signal? Is there a module or device of some sort in between the run from the headunit to the trunk? Man, i'd hate to have to run some new RCA's from the front to the back but i guess i have no choice.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
ok, i ran seperate RCAs today instead of splicing and using the orginal wires of the low level outputs. Much much much....did i say much? much better.

...must be a junction box, module, converter, etc. somewhere in the middle of the stock low level outputs . I was probably still getting a balanced signal even with an aftermarket HU and aftermarket amp. Stock bose speakers sounds pretty d@mn good, IMO.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Well after a few eBay foul-ups as far as amps I finally received the JL 250/1 mono amp this weekend and installed it. You can actually hear the sub now! I'm not sure if I can attribute that to the amp supporting balanced inputs or the extra +/- 100 watts that this amp has but it finally sounds good.
I did have one more question though.. What did you mean about running the amp (sub amp) after the stock amp? I basically wired it how the directions earlier in this thread advised.. running off the blue plug going into the stock amp.. Would this be considered correct or is there a way to get even more power out of it?

Sorry for sounding like such a newb.. I've just never wired into a stock head unit, let alone stock amp. Thanks for the help thus far, though!

Tony

Old 04-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone get engine interference on their radio's after installing an amp and sub? Since my install I am getting this, does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine doesn't have noise.

check your ground points.

How is everything wired?

Last edited by Gilley; 05-09-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:46 AM
hey guys would this amp work Alpine MRP-F250 amp if i wanted to hook it up to my stock bose head unit and run a 10inch type r off it

Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
i just installed my sub following dr6's DIY (Thanks dr6!) and using the exact same components but the bass is really weak, and when i try to increase the boost i just hear soft distortion. any ideas on what's going on? maybe a bad amp?

Last edited by boinkee; 05-11-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just as an FYI to anyone planning to do this, if your running a infinity REF1600A amp, the infinity tech I spoke to says it does indeed accept the balanced input signal, waiting on the box to finish getting built then hopefully by tomorrow night I'll be done =)

is anyone else running the infinity perfect 12 DVQ? would two be overkill?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe