Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just some of my own personal experience... I hooked up my system using all the steps involved here, only instead of using that JL line converter or similar, I just used a twisted pair of RCA cables. I cut off the end, untwisted the cables, took off the outer plastic, spliced them into the appropriate wires using those blue connectors (the ones with the blade inside that you crimp together), and I'm just getting no sound. This might not have worked only because the wire inside RCA cables is REALLY REALLY small and may not have made the proper connection.

I'm going to just buy the $12.99 one off Crutchfield and do it that way. Seems easiest. Thanks again for the write up.

Oh, I would also like to note that you have to take off more than just the battery cover in order to get to the grommet next to the fire wall. There's also another piece of plastic that is directly up against the windshield that must be removed to gain proper access.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:29 PM
So I got a LOC from a local audio shop, hooked everything up, amp turns on, but I'm getting NO audio. All the connectors seem to be good and tight, I spliced into the correct wires, I'm pretty sure I got the + and - right, checked wiring between amp and box, box and sub, everything is fine. What the hell could be wrong?!? I'm going crazy over here trying to figure this out.

EDIT: Took it to an audio shop and we couldn't figure it out with the harness so we just tapped into the wires coming directly off one of the 6X9s and it works fine that way. To get it to work we had to hook up the + wire from the left and the right side of the LOC to the single + on the speaker, and same with the - side. This seems to work pretty well, so far so good.

Last edited by NaiveRapture; 01-30-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
are the wires on the blue plug from the amp the same on a sedan?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 PM
JZ
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 Coupe KY0
is the pac oem2 a good loc to add a 4 channel amp?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Edit: Problem solved

Last edited by StreetChase; 03-11-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Hello all, I used this great DIY today to install slap in my trunk, but it's not hitting as hard as it did with my old car. On my old car, I had it tapped into its factory BOSE sub and used a 2 Channel fixed LOC and wired both positive channels and negative channels together(the 2 positives together and the 2 negatives together). Now on the G Coupe with BOSE, I wired each positive and negative separately, (Left and Right), but my system now doesn't hit as hard as it used to as on the old car? It hits, but just not as seat-shaking, if u get what i mean. Any thoughts or inputs? I am running a Polk Audio PA600.1 amp and am pretty sure it can withstand a balanced input line.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Where did you get the sub box i know its not JL audio box they only make stealth that goes under the trunk.... where did that box come from and how much is it about? Thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Oh its just a regular sub box that barely fits inside the trunk. I ordered the Zenclosure, but I was too impatient and wired everything up and am running this box temporarily. Hmm, i looked at the wiring this morning, could it be that I grounded my negative terminal to the screw that secures the amp/bluetooth in place? is that not a good enough ground?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by stealthlude00
Oh its just a regular sub box that barely fits inside the trunk. I ordered the Zenclosure, but I was too impatient and wired everything up and am running this box temporarily. Hmm, i looked at the wiring this morning, could it be that I grounded my negative terminal to the screw that secures the amp/bluetooth in place? is that not a good enough ground?
REMOVE THAT GROUND NOW!!! LOL!!! That is the worst ground! You need to ground it to either a seat belt stud, or drill a good ground hole for a ground stud that should have came with your wiring kit if not go get one! MAKE SURE your grounded to a good ground.... weak ground = blown amps, crappy sounds, etc!!! Fix that GROUND!

Good LUCK!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Haha done and done! and guess what!? it sounds a lot better now haha i guess laziness didnt pay off

Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Used this DIY on my buddy's '03 G35 coupe last night. It took a couple of hours, which included removing the 6x9's. It sounds great and the bass doesn't cut out at loud volume settings like it used to when he was using a LOC on the signal AFTER it left the POS Bose amp. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Great install. Quick question though for the bass **** do you need one with the remote cable/telephone jack or will one with rca's work with the stock head unit? Thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Anyone!?

Old 04-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Latech08
Great install. Quick question though for the bass **** do you need one with the remote cable/telephone jack or will one with rca's work with the stock head unit? Thanks
I'm pretty sure the bass **** has nothing to do with the head unit. You're controlling the bass directly from the amplifier. All the bass ***** I've seen are with that telephone jack type cable.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can i just drill a hole anywhere in the trunk for the ground?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe