Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What's HOT in the Amplifier Market?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's HOT in the Amplifier Market?

I neeeeeed to replace my current sub amp. It's a Sony DS1600P5 (Class D, 500W (4 ohm)/900 W (2 ohm)) mono amp. I have replaced it twice under warrentee. It lasts about 6 months and then blows. But the warrentee is over so the next time it blows I'm on my own. The problem with waiting for it to blow a third time is that it blew my sub the last time (had to buy a new one). I have a Diamond Audio D610D2 Sub mounted in a 4080 box.
I also have an old Clarion 160W x 4 channel amp powering four (4) 6.5" Infiniti components with two (2) tweeters (mounted in the front and rear deck). The sound from this combination is very good and I'm happy with the results. I don't feel a need for more power, just replace the amps with something more current.
The attached pic shows my set up with the Clarion mounted to the rear seat and the Sony on a custom mount to the right side. Since I have to replace the Sony, I want to replace the Clarion as well and mount both amps, side by side, on the back seat. I would also like all the wiring to exit the amp at the bottom so the wiring can be cleaned up. I do not like the way the Clarion is wired right now with the wires looping out the sides. I may add a second 10" sub if and when the new 4080 passenger box is ready.
I know there are lots of choices out there and thought some of you audiophiles can give me some good suggestions for quality sound without buying competion level equipment. I bet a few of you already have the combination of 2 amps mounted on the back seat and could post up some pics.

Attached Thumbnails What's HOT in the Amplifier Market?-dsc01656.jpg  
Old 05-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been out of the audio scene for a while so I only know what's good 5-10 years ago. I guess JL Audio is a good one to go with these days. McIntosh has been around for a while but those are pretty high end amps and costs a lot.

As for the old ones, PPI, Xtant, US Amps, Phoenix Gold, Soundstream, MTX.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm in the same boat, don't know what's good today. I'm familiar with Soundstream as I have one in my other car; good amp. A lot of conversation is spent on the JL Audio line, but I understand they are on the top of the price list. I'll check into some of the others you have listed and compare.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't go with what's Hot, Go with what works.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Good advice hiphop, thats what I'm shooting for, something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but still delivers good clean clear sound and meets my requirements .

Old 05-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had great success and been happy with any JL audio product. Purchase from a decent authorized dealer and you won't have any problems

Old 05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
+1 for JL equipment. JL has such a loose hold of their channel, you can get the same stuff for cheaper through e-tailers. Yeah, you'll miss out on the warranty, but you also save hundreds of dollars. Just avoid the mystery e-bay merchant hocking JL stuff. Go with more reputable e-tailers.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
I vote for Zapco products always have been rock solid for me.
JL, Macintosh also gets my vote.
I don't know how good kicker amps are but i know they good with subs.

www.mp3car.com
www.caraudioforum.com

just do a simple google search for car udio forums and there are plenty out there that you can skim thru to do your research before putting down your hard earned dollars

Old 05-30-2006, 04:31 PM
JL 300/4 is a great amp. You should be able to find one new for $300 or less. If you add a sub the JL E2150 is good choice. This is the set up I am running with Boston Pros and JL 13W1V2.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Elemental Designs makes some pretty good amps for the money, and they come with a 3 year warranty

Old 05-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm very happy with my JL setup (450/4, 500/1, and e2150) High quality, and very nice sounding.

Dave

Old 05-31-2006, 10:09 PM
I absolutely adore my Elemental amps. Underrated, excellent customer service, and nice clean retro look.

I am also running a Zapco in my current install and have used Zed audio designed amps in the past. Due to the amount of time that has elapsed since I had the Zed Designed Earthquakes I cannot comment on any sonic differences.

What I can comment on is that the ED amps are maybe a tad less durable "feeling". The Zapcos and Earthquakes were built like tanks. The ED amps are built more like bradleys.

From an abuse standpoint, I have found the Elemental amps to be bulletproof. These things produce gobs of power cleanly and stay very cool while doing it. On a dollar/watt cost basis they are one of the best values on the market.

Here are a few shots of them in my install:

Old 06-01-2006, 11:19 PM
great comments guys! JL seems to be the most popular, but can I mount both amps on the back seat? Does anyone have any pictures of 2 amps mounted on the back seat with the inputs and outputs at the bottom side of the amp? I want a clean looking install so the wires are hidden as much as possible, not like my existing install with the clarion amp. Thx MiloX for the pics, but they look too big to mount vertical on the back seat huh?

Old 06-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
The new MTX amps are good as are the JL, higher end Alpine, PPI, and Directed. For your set-up I would do the JL and get a 300/4 and a 500/1 if you have the cash.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:24 PM
im hearing good stuff about the new alpine amps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's HOT in the Amplifier Market?