Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DO YOU USE ZENCLOSURE w/ JL 10w6's??!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DO YOU USE ZENCLOSURE w/ JL 10w6's??!

Hello! I have been told that there is at least one person on this forum that uses a Zenclosure for the g35 coupe that has 2x JL audio 10w6v2 subs. I bought that setup and I was told that the box is way to small, im just wondering how your subs sound with that small box! If anyone knows who this is please help me out! Thanks!

Old 05-30-2006, 01:44 AM
It'll work, but it just won't hit the low notes very well. It'll probably have a hard time hitting 70hz and below. (I just pulled that number out of thin air. I'm not sure if it's 70hz but I know you won't get the low bass extension).

If you already have that setup, just give it a try. If you don't like the bass, then sell the w6 and get some image dynamics or elemental designs which will work in a very small box.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 AM
kk cool ill give it a try of course, just wondering :0) I still would like to hear from the guy who has this exact setup!! Where r u!!

Last edited by Jining; 05-30-2006 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:43 AM
the only guy that i know what this setup w/o modification to the box lives in the bay area.. i forgot his username though..

Old 05-30-2006, 03:43 AM
damn

Old 05-30-2006, 04:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't used that particular box, but I have experience with subs in enclosures too small for their specs, and it dramatically affects low end reproduction. You'd be better off running 1 jlw6, rather than 2 since the size is so small, or try other subs such as Image dynamics or Elemental Designs, which both require small enclosures.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:04 AM
I was going to use the zenclosure box w/ my IDQ10s; (bought the one for 2 10"s) My shop saw it and said it was more suited for 2 8"s. Definitely not enough airspace for 2 Image Dynamics; nonetheless JL.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by optimystic06
I was going to use the zenclosure box w/ my IDQ10s; (bought the one for 2 10"s) My shop saw it and said it was more suited for 2 8"s. Definitely not enough airspace for 2 Image Dynamics; nonetheless JL.
Your shop probably didn't even measure the internal volume to make that decision. If the box is .80cf total, then that should be fine for 2 IDs, which require .40cf per sub. Stuffed with polyfill and you should be at around .45-.5cf per sub which is perfect for an ID 10". Elemental Designs also makes a sub that will work in an enclosure as small as .3cf so that is another possibility as well

Old 05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Actually they did measure it. I am relatively new to all this so bear with me please. Some questions...

1) Adding polyfill increases the airspace in a box?

2) Why go w/ the lower end of the recommended airspace; unless absolutely necessary?

Thanks
Originally Posted by redlude97
Your shop probably didn't even measure the internal volume to make that decision. If the box is .80cf total, then that should be fine for 2 IDs, which require .40cf per sub. Stuffed with polyfill and you should be at around .45-.5cf per sub which is perfect for an ID 10". Elemental Designs also makes a sub that will work in an enclosure as small as .3cf so that is another possibility as well

Old 05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by optimystic06
Actually they did measure it. I am relatively new to all this so bear with me please. Some questions...

1) Adding polyfill increases the airspace in a box?

2) Why go w/ the lower end of the recommended airspace; unless absolutely necessary?

Thanks
I've never measured the Zenclosures box but I built myself a box very similar to it but with better usage of the cubby hole space and I was able to get 1cuft out of it (according to my measurements and math) so I do believe the zenclosures box is around .8cuft which should be enough for idq10s (albeit on the small end of the recommended airspace).

Polyfill won't make the volume bigger but it will make it so that the drivers "think" they're in a larger box.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
polyfill is a good technique to make the woofer "see" a bigger box. it's works,but it isn't a miracle worker, either.

generally speaking, you don't want to have to settle on the minimum air space for a woofer. You'd probably be better off with smllaer woofers or a singel woofer in that same air space.

This is very general, but here goes:

It is the box that makes the woofer, not the other way around.

an experienced SPL competitor, like myself, could build a box for a pair of 8s that would smoke most 10s or 12s, in the same sized box. It is all about tuning the box to work with the woofers, while at the same time taking advantage of the acounstic response of the vehicle (and how the box/subs are located in the vehicle.

NEVER SETTLE FOR OFF THE SHELF BOXES!!!

Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the explanation! That is why I went w/ a custom box...They believed the zenclosure box could possibly sound good; but I wanted the best sq possible... I had purchased the zenclosure box before I even knew what SQ stood for.

Originally Posted by QuadCam
polyfill is a good technique to make the woofer "see" a bigger box. it's works,but it isn't a miracle worker, either.

generally speaking, you don't want to have to settle on the minimum air space for a woofer. You'd probably be better off with smllaer woofers or a singel woofer in that same air space.

This is very general, but here goes:

It is the box that makes the woofer, not the other way around.

an experienced SPL competitor, like myself, could build a box for a pair of 8s that would smoke most 10s or 12s, in the same sized box. It is all about tuning the box to work with the woofers, while at the same time taking advantage of the acounstic response of the vehicle (and how the box/subs are located in the vehicle.

NEVER SETTLE FOR OFF THE SHELF BOXES!!!

Old 05-30-2006, 02:04 PM
DANG JINING how many threads are you going to start on this same topic?????

Old 05-30-2006, 04:43 PM
If you check the spec sheets on the ID series subwoofers, an ID8 will go down to 20hz in a .45cf box, while a ID10 will go down to 21hz in a .4cf box, and 20hz in a .6cf box. If you were to put both subs in a .5cf box, then both will play down to ~20hz, but the ID10 will be louder at the same power level due to the larger cone area, so in this case being on the lower end of the box size doesn't affect SQ, but will net you a more SPL without sacrificing more room. If you step up to the IDQ10, then you will be in the optimal box size range, since at .55cf it plays down to 19hz, since the IDQ subs require less airspace. ID subs are meant to be used in small enclosures, they should work fine in the zenclosures box if you stuff with polyfill.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Inno
DANG JINING how many threads are you going to start on this same topic?????
hey man the purpose of this post was to try and find the guy with the same setup!