Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

KPTechnologies Sunroof Install Instructions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation KPTechnologies Sunroof Install Instructions

05 Coupe Install instructions Still a WIP

I just finished installing the KPTechnologies sunroof module. Now with my keyfob I can open, close or vent the sun roof. Plus I can open and close my windows at the same time if I want.

The sunroof module install took me a total of 4 hours because the instructions, while accurate, could use some more information. I hope the pictures and instructions I have come up with will help anyone else do the install in half the time.

[I am modifying he pictures to make things clearer. In the mean time here are the basic instructions.]

1) Removed the cover under the steering wheel.

Remove the bolt just under the hood release.
Pull the cover down and off. This might take some muscle

2) remove the temp sensor hose. Remove all of the cables attached to the cover. I tried to removed the hood release cable but couldn't find an easy way to do it. you do not need to remove this though. Just place the cover on the floor under the pedals

3) I say remove the kick panel on the left of the drivers side. There is one plastic nut behind the dead pedal to be removed. Then just pry the kick panel off.

3) Identify the BCM (Body Control Module) all of the wires you want to splice into come off of this box. It is a black box under the fuse panel that was covered by the kick panel

4) coming from the BCM is a bundle of cables that go almost straight up and disappear into the dash. If you follow the bundle you will find where the bundle splits for some of the wires to go to the drivers side door.

5) Peel back the tape and then the black covering over these wires. You need to be able to see the wires going to the drivers side door, and the wires going from the dash down to the BCM.

Once I removed the electrical tape I was able to just roll the plastic wrapping down so I could get to the wires.

6) Remove the wires from the KPtech sunroof module. This will make it easier to work with and prevent damage to the module.

7) The Diode pack is a set of 3 yellow wires with some shrink wrap over a diode where they come together. There are two wires coming out of what I will call the "Top" and one wire comes out the "Bottom" of the cable as a "Y"

8)Solder one of the top wires to the yellow wire that is part of the KPTech module.

9) Back in the car. we need to find a yellow wire with a black stripe running down it. Once you find it look for a thing of blue tape that surrounds the wire.This is where the wire splices.

10) This yellow and black wire is a single wire that leaves the BCM under the fuse box. At the blue tape it splits. One split goes to the door. The other split goes to the sunroof.

You need the wire after the split that goes to the sunroof.

Here is how to get the right wire. First find the split. Second find the yellow and black wire as it goes to the door. The one going to the door should be horizontal and you can feel it as it goes to the grommet out to the door.
Gently pull that wire and feel each of the wires coming off of the split. Once you know which one goes to the door you know that the other one is the one to cut.

11) cut the wire going to the sunroof. Now the bottom yellow wire from the diode pack connects to the yellow and black wire that goes to the BCM. Connect the top of the yellow diode pack to the yellow and black wire going to the sunroof.

To put it another way. you put the diode pack in between the wires you cut with the Top up, and the Bottom down.

12) Next you need to connect the green and Blue wires from the KPTech module. Follow the color code in the instructions.
Note: all of the wires you will be splicing into should be around 16 to 14 gauge. If you are about to splice into a wire that is thinner than the others you picked the wrong one.
I found this out the hard way since many wires have the same colors.
The best thing to do for this step is to find the right colored wires as they are about to go out to the door. Then you know they are the right ones.

13) Connect power and ground. Ground is black on the module and in the car.

NOTE!!!! For power The instructions say to splice into a white and red wire. In the 05 this is wrong. the white and red wire is only 2.5V there should be a set of white wires coming from the BCM. I found those to be a constant 12V source. Make sure to check this if possible.

14) there are only 2 wires left. The grey and black twisted wires. Here is how to get them to the sunroof panel.

A) remove the A pillar cover as the instructions describe. Note: you can let the cover remain attached at the bottom of the pillar as long as it is pulled away enough to work around it.
B) removed the light and sunroof switch housing as described in the instructions.
C) take the included black plastic tool and push it from the pillar down to the pedal area.
D) when it is down there attach the black and grey wires to the plastic tool with some tape. Then pull the wires up to the pillar.
E) pull back some of the roof covering along the door.
F) line the plastic tool up so that you can go straight across to the switch.
G) Feed the tool across. Grab it down with your fingers and pull the wires through.

15) now connect the wires as per the instructions. Note the instructions call out certain colors. You can also splice into the wires on the switch which are different colors.

17) I suggest testing your connections by probing the connector that goes to the sunroof module

18) Connect the module. Program the box, and if all goes well the unit should now work

19) put all of the panels back together. Hide all of the wires and the box.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
good write up

4hrs is not bad for your first time. i can usually do one in about an hour and a half to two hours, but hta could be becuase i have done several installs.

if anyone is interested in any of the kptechnologies products let me know i have many instock

Old 06-02-2006, 06:44 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
also if you check out www.kptechnologies.com/forums i have several pictures up on there for the sunroof install.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How is the sedan sunroof module/wiring coming?

Old 06-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SFLG35
good write up

4hrs is not bad for your first time. i can usually do one in about an hour and a half to two hours, but hta could be becuase i have done several installs.

if anyone is interested in any of the kptechnologies products let me know i have many instock

Any difference or wire color code changes with the install on a 06 Coupe?

__________________________________________________ _________
2006 Coupe| Athens Blue| Graphite| 6MT| Navi| Prem| Aero Pkg| RAS