Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Anyway to disable the NAV safety features?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyway to disable the NAV safety features?

Unfortunately, when I get into a project like this, I get too excited to stop and take pics, then always regret it later. All I can say is, don't be scared, it's very easy. One other guy on here followed my advice, and did the mod attaching it to the trunk lock switch, but he did it in a manner I don't suggest. After he cut the VSS wire and attached the extra wire, he then cut the 2 wirse going to the trunk lock switch. I personally just unplugged the trunk lock switch and there are 2 flat pins in the switch. I went to Rat Shack and got so flat pin wire connectors and attached them to the new vss wires, then just plugged them into the trunk lock switch. This way if I ever want to undo the mod, it's only 1 cut wire, as apposed to 3.

Old 10-14-2003, 03:14 PM

I just did this mod as per the instructions on this thread, and it works very well. I did install a seperate switch, as I didn't want to give up the trunk switch. That switch is very useful if you use a parking garage, and want to leave the trunk locked. If the glove box is locked, and the trunk switch is flipped, you can not get into the trunk with just the valet key.

A good location for the switch is the top inside edge of the glove box. For this location, you need a fairly shallow switch. The one on the far left in the picture here is nav speed-sensor defeat switch, (the three lit switches are for my video/dvd system.)

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 10-14-2003, 03:37 PM

Here's the picture, (I hope, this time).

119652-Switches.jpg

Old 10-14-2003, 10:54 PM

Nice Racer, you loving it already like I am?

Old 10-15-2003, 03:42 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

you loving it already like I am

<hr></blockquote>
This is one of those stupid design features that was just great to undo. I hate it when someone elses' lawyers make decisions for me.

Old 10-21-2003, 01:18 AM

I did this mod after seeing it over at Freshalloy over the weekend. I ended up cutting the wires to the trunk switch and attaching the VSS wire to the remaining wires of the trunk switch. Do not forget to attach the wires that went to the trunk switch before replacing the glove box, or you will not be able to use the trunk release. Also, in order to fully remove the glove box, first remove the screw located at the bottom left of the glove box. There is also another screw behind the passenger kick panel along with the four screws on the top of the glove box. To reach this screw you have to pop off the kick panel. Use a screwdriver to pry it off. Then after fully removing the glove box you can get underneath the dvd-rom for the navi. There will be three multi-wire plugs. Look for the one furthest to the passenger side. Search for a green-white wire and cut it so that you can attach the additional wire to trunk switch, which will now become your new "NAV safety" switch. Put everything back together and you all set. Leave the switch in the ON position when your drive, so that the GPS knows your position. When you need to use the Navi while drive, open the glove box and flip the switch. The arrow representing the car will stop moving until you finish inputting the info and flip the switch to the ON position. Since your last input to the GPS was when you turned the VSS wire OFF your location will be off a little. The GPS should update your new location within a couple of seconds. That should be it. As always Im not responsible for anything that you choose to do to your car, so perform at your own risk. Thanks goes to SaltNutz for coming up with the idea.

Old 10-21-2003, 11:57 AM

I can't take the credit. It was Stevenemi. I just came up with the trunk lock switch trick.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:49 AM

How do you know which one is the VSS wire?

Is it a harness? how did you wire the black toggle? Did you cut into the wire(s) (colors?). With a little more info, I will do this and take pictures as a walk-thru for everyone.

thanks, Ted

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Quantum Tint 19% r, 28% fr, & 50% w/s
Clear Corners, 350z Duct http://www.cardomain.com/id/socalted

Old 10-28-2003, 09:38 PM

There will be three wire bundles in the back of the dvd-rom. The VSS wire should be in the bundle of wires farthest to the passenger side. It will be half white, half green in color. As for the switch, I cut the wires going to the switch and attached them together. Then I added the wired from the cut VSS wires to the wires left from the switch.