Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Alumni****
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)

I just sold my Pioneer AVIC-N1 in anticipation of trading in my coupe. Anyhow, I drove around a few days without a nav and I couldn't stand it. Being in my business, you gotta drive around once in a while, and having a nav saves time and grief. Anyways, did a little research and decided on the AVIC-Z1. I installed it this past weekend with the IPOD adapter and rear view camera.

Let me tell you, the AVIC-Z1 is better than the N1 by leaps and bounds. I also like the double din look as it fits very flush and practically looks factory. I showed a few co-workers yesterday and they couldn't tell that it wasn't a factory option.

Amazingly the install for this AVIC-Z1 was much easier than that of the N1. Maybe it's because I've done so many of these installs, but this was the first Z1 I've done and it was a breeze.

I like everything about this new nav, and even my girl is playing with it. With the N1, she could care less.

Anyways, thanks to patman for allowing me to see his install. It pretty much inspired me to install the system in much much sooner.

If anybody needs help with the install or wants to see this in person for themselves, let me know if you're in the Sac area and we can set this up.

(PICS BELOW)

Last edited by OOOOA3; 06-21-2006 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by liu621
even my girl is playing with it.
congrats on that

Old 06-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Congrats. It does rock. I just got the bluetooth module installed. The issue with the mic picking up the voice from the speakers is annoying, but only for the person on the other end.

Did you install a flasher for the dimmer switch so you get full function while driving? If not check out avic411.com and look for ducatiboy's hack for the Z1.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
You gotta go to the next meet so I can check out your setup. How is the ducatiboy mod working? are you still going to trade in your car

Old 06-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Post pictures quick!

-twantrd

Old 06-20-2006, 11:13 PM
I just sold my Pioneer AVIC-N1 in anticipation of trading in my coupe. Anyhow, I drove around a few days without a nav and I couldn't stand it. Being in my business, you gotta drive around once in a while, and having a nav saves time and grief. Anyways, did a little research and decided on the AVIC-Z1. I installed it this past weekend with the IPOD adapter and rear view camera.

Let me tell you, the AVIC-Z1 is better than the N1 by leaps and bounds. I also like the double din look as it fits very flush and practically looks factory. I showed a few co-workers yesterday and they couldn't tell that it wasn't a factory option.

Amazingly the install for this AVIC-Z1 was much easier than that of the N1. Maybe it's because I've done so many of these installs, but this was the first Z1 I've done and it was a breeze.

I know that "a thread is useless without pics," so I will post pictures later today. I like everything about this new nav, and even my girl is playing with it. With the N1, she could care less.

Anyways, thanks to patman for allowing me to see his install. It pretty much inspired me to install the system in much much sooner.

If anybody needs help with the install or wants to see this in person for themselves, let me know if you're in the Sac area and we can set this up.

(PICS WILL BE POSTED LATER TONIGHT)
How easy was it to make the unit flush? Did it require a trim ring, or just drilling new holes in the right location on the stock bracket?

Old 06-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Alumni****
Originally Posted by Archangel
Congrats. It does rock. I just got the bluetooth module installed. The issue with the mic picking up the voice from the speakers is annoying, but only for the person on the other end.

Did you install a flasher for the dimmer switch so you get full function while driving? If not check out avic411.com and look for ducatiboy's hack for the Z1.
Yeah, I installed the ducatiboy hack. It works great. I just soldered the wires as instructed and everything works perfectly.

Only thing I don't like about the system is the slow load up. My N1 loaded up much faster, but then again, when the NAV is recalculating directions after missing an exit or turn, it doesn't take more than 1 second for the Z1 to adapt and issue new instructions.

I'm looking to install the Bluetooth module as well, but seems like it doesn't work as well as I would hope it would. The Ipod connection works perfectly though. The only thing is the scrolling isn't as fast as one would want, but it works really well. Sound quality is crystal clear.

Definitely a great choice for anyone looking for an all-in-one NAV system.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Alumni****
Originally Posted by shellbmb
How easy was it to make the unit flush? Did it require a trim ring, or just drilling new holes in the right location on the stock bracket?
It was very easy to make the unit flush. No need for a trim ring or to drill new holes in the stock bracket. Everything fit perfect. I only have 3 screws in on both sides, not 4, but the system is held in very snug.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Alumni****
Originally Posted by patman530
You gotta go to the next meet so I can check out your setup. How is the ducatiboy mod working? are you still going to trade in your car
I don't think I'll be going to the Monterey meet, but the next Sac area meet, I'm there.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:25 AM
Alumni****
1) Shot of the NAV (off)

2) Rear view camera appears, first thing when you start up the car

3) Pioneer load screen

4) General map view

5) Vehicle dynamics screen (MUCH better looking than before IMO)

Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-1.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-2.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-3.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-4.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-5.jpg  

Old 06-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Alumni****
6) Rear view camera

7) Driver view with general side map view

8) IPOD interface screen

9) MP3 Library screen

10) Menu screen

Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-6.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-7.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-8.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-9.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)-10.jpg  

Old 06-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Install looks great. My ducatiboy hack failed to hack the system once this week, but I just turned the car off and back on and everything worked. Kind of surprised by that. Hopefully there won't be a trend. The Bluetooth interface is great in itself, but placement of the mic is important. I had mine originally installed in the card holder above the driver's door, and that was no good. Now it is tucked between the A pillar cover and the head liner near the windshield.

Where did you install the camera? Mine is looking through the (now widened) passenger side lower bolt-hole of my license plate. It's a little low, but I didn't have to drill into the bumper.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Looks great!

Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was very easy to make the unit flush. No need for a trim ring or to drill new holes in the stock bracket. Everything fit perfect. I only have 3 screws in on both sides, not 4, but the system is held in very snug.
When I installed mine someone mentioned drilling holes but I don't know why. Everything lined up perfectly. As far as the trim ring goes, I sanded mine down quite a bit to make it snug and flush.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:55 PM
The Pole
Awesome Install!!

I gotta ask something tho and hope you have the answers..

I know I need a DD kit and the ac controller but is there anything else I need to get??? Harness?? And for the hack??

I would like to do Sirius as my Sat so is this ok?? Do I need to get any other Sat. stuff or just call them and subscribe??

I appreciate any responses!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Installed (PICS)