Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

speaker sound problem (DLS speakers JL AMPS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker sound problem (DLS speakers JL AMPS)

Hey guys I wanted to get some feedback about my trouble. Basically, my speakers currently sound like crap.. like literally.. CRAP. Let me give you an idea of what I am currently running:

JL 1000/1 amp powering 2 JL 10w6v2 subs
JL 450/4 amp powering DLS up6 components front and DLS 426 coaxials rear.
Headunit is Kenwood DDX-8017.

So basically, the sound coming from my speakers sound VERY distorted, ESPECIALLY the vocals. But it is not only the vocals, it is everything else too, but more so the vocals. In addition, it gets worse and worse the louder I go. I dont know what the problem is.. is it the Head unit? Speakers? The Wiring? The amps? It's really pissing me off big time since i spent so much damn money on the system. The sound basically sounds muffled (kind of) at high volumes like the speaker cant handle it or something.. its hard to explain. I guess "distorted" would be the best word. Please help!

Last edited by imalazeeass; 06-29-2006 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe try turning the gain down a little bit and see what happends?

Just a guess....

Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of music are we talking about here? If its trance/club music with a ton of highs and the highs sound muffled and distorted check your EQ settings (treble) and kill the +db. Better yet, set every option on your deck flat, turn off loudness, bass boost, DSP, the EQ and all that other crap. Does it still sound distorted?

Definately check your gains, they are probably set way to high sending a clipped signal to all your speakers. There are some really good article's out there on how to set your gains.

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

If you're a teenager, you can quit reading right now. This is going to be more for audiophiles than the younger set. Those who want to impress their friends with SPL are not going to want to set their gains as is described below.

http://www.bcae1.com/settinggainswithscope.htm

I'm assuming your components (front speakers) are running passive crossovers.
Set the balance to only the front, does it still sound bad? I personally do not use rear speakers, I only use them on the rare occasion someone can actually fit back there. I'm assuming those coaxials won't be able to keep with seperate components up front. Changing the balance to the front of the car will tell you that.

Sorry for the rushed post, at work and busy. Will write more later.

Jay

Old 06-29-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm assuming you didn't do the install. If that's the case, take it back to who did the install and get them to fix it.

If not.....Did the system ever sound good? Has it sounded like this from the beginning?

Are you crossing over at your headunit? At the amps?

I would doublecheck everything. Set gains properly on amps, verify your crossover points, drop eq to flat, remove any extra processing from h/u like the dynamic bass some have and work from there. Check your wiring on the passives too. Make sure the tweeter is on the tweeter and mid on the mid.

Last edited by crash813; 06-29-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:16 PM
c35
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you buy the DLS speakers on eBay per chance? Quite a few folks have been burned by counterfeits. I believe there is a thread on this site that addresses the differences between a real and a fake (DLS speakers).

Old 06-29-2006, 10:03 PM
No i bought the DLS speakers from a well known forum member here. He's an authorized dealer for them. I listen to all types, alternative hip hop, etc. It's strange because when i first get into the car, it seems like it sounds fine. THen the more i listen, the worse it sounds! I popped in a DVD and it sounded exactly the same, CRAPPY! And when i got to a scene that was really loud, the speakers just went nuts! It certainly sounds like it can't handle it or something. Thanks for the replies guys.

As of now, i'm going to take it to another member and have him check everything out.. hes going to look at the gains and stuff. I did not install the stuff myself, i actually got it done at "sound advice" in mission viejo. I paid nearly a grand for the install and so far ive had nothing but problems! It could very well be a bad amp, or whatever but i just want to get this thing done so i can just listen to some music! I just tested moving the balance all the way to the front.. still sounds equally bad!

Last edited by imalazeeass; 06-30-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it sounds bad at all volumes?

Old 06-29-2006, 11:42 PM
c35
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bummer. I actually had Sound Advice in MV install my DLS speakers and JL amp as well.

Go back and see Josh. He does about 2-3 G35's a week. I'm sure he wants to keep his G35 fan club intact.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:26 AM
yea i mean their install looked very nice and all.. but its these little things that are driving me crazy. If they were closer i would've gone back right away but they're just too far from me. And yes, it sounds bad at all volumes.. but gets worse higher up.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:59 AM
Premier Member

It's probably your settings...When i got mine installed they maxed out all the gains to show me the power i have and it sounds great when the whole building was shaking be going in the car was another story...I readjusted the gains and cross-over points to my taste. But it might be the source HU or the RCA wires going to the amp. Lets just say this if the signal goes to the amp distorted your system is going to sound distorted...

Old 07-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Take it back to Sound Advice, have them readjust the gains and the EQ and check over everything. Sucks about the problems bro! Good luck

Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 PM
i know.. but they are too far from me, by the time i get off work they're closed. The only time i'm free is on a sunday, which they aren't open