Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

So what sounds the best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what sounds the best?

ok, obviously theres a few ways to add onto the Blose stereo. (Cleansweep, LoC, spliced RCAs and anything else i might be forgetting) what have you guys found to be the most cost effective method, while NOT sacraficing quality? just an FYI, im looking to replace speakers all the way around, and add a sub. any suggestions on how to go about this project?

Old 07-15-2006, 10:46 PM
I would stay away from the cleansweep, I had one in my TL and it sucked!

Old 07-17-2006, 12:49 PM
come on.. nobody else has any input on this?

Old 07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
2 12" Idmax + 1 A6 Dls Audio Amp + Dls Components (iridium)

Old 07-18-2006, 04:21 PM
no no no.. im not looking for a setup. ive got everything i want. what i need is the "best" method of tapping a signal. nobody has an opinion?

Old 07-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Tap the factory amp input and use RCA's. They will feed almost any amp. BUT, they will not feed an electronic crossover. Not sure why, but an amp with a built in crossover will work, a stand alone crossover will make shrill sounds at higher volumes. The factory HU output is not that bad, the BlOSE amp and speaks suck.

JH

Old 07-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ivory056MT
Tap the factory amp input and use RCA's. They will feed almost any amp. BUT, they will not feed an electronic crossover. Not sure why, but an amp with a built in crossover will work, a stand alone crossover will make shrill sounds at higher volumes. The factory HU output is not that bad, the BlOSE amp and speaks suck.

JH

ok, so i'd tap with RCAs themselves? not a LoC?

Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Correct. You can use any set of RCA's you'd like, but some are eaiser to work with than others. I've worked car audio before, so I just used the normal thin black ones with red and white connectors. They have a really thin signal wire in the core and can be hard to work with if you are a beginner. The 'high end' RCA's tend to be thinker and may have a thicker signal core, I cannot recommend any brand, but others have if you do a search. Follow the directions it the stickey at the top of this section and you sould be all set.

JH

Old 07-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Oh ya, and LOC's are for twits who don't want to put the time in to do it right. It's up to you.

JH

Old 07-19-2006, 06:23 AM
lol, thats what i thought. thanks bro!

Old 07-19-2006, 12:15 PM
i have researched adding aftermarket amps to the stock system for a LONG time, so let me throw in some info that i've learned from some of the installer gurus here on the forums.

you CAN take a set of RCA wires and splice them directly into the lines running from the stock HU to the Bose amp in the trunk... HOWEVER... this gives you a balanced differential audio signal.... not all amps can take that kind of signal. i know JL and DLS amps can, and i'm sure there are others... but keep that in mind when you're looking for amps.

regular RCA setups have 2 conductors, signal and ground (+ and ground) IIRC. the balanced differential has (+ and -) i believe and the (-) is not connected to ground... it has something to do with not picking up noise from all the other electronic crap in the car. i don't know if i'm explaining it exactly right, but it IS a different type of signal that some amps can't use.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 PM
It was just a matter of time, another balanced differential kool-aid drinker. I've asked before and I'll ask again. Do you, or any one else, know of an amp (model number please, not just MTX or SONY) that will not work with these inputs? I've run the RCA's from my g35 into a PPI, Alpine, Sony, Infinity and a little POS boombox. They all worked fine. We also know JL amps and a few other brands have been used. Granted, external crossovers don't seems to work, but amps are fine. This blanket balanced differential crap was likely just some sales-weazel pitch to get someone to anty up for some JL amps. Does anyone have a REAL example?

JH

Old 07-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Ivory, actually i was just stating what i've learned here on the boards, as i said in my first post. i've had extensive discussions with el_duderino, who IIRC has been an installer for many years and owns his own shop in Oregon (www.avincar.com). he has done MANY installs on G35's.

he is the one who explained the whole balanced differential thing to me. i don't think his motivation was to sell me a JL amp since i already had one. i am by no means a "balanced differential kool-aid drinker", i just wanted to pass whatever info i've gotten here on the forums on to the original poster... isn't that the whole purpose of the forums?

but, it's actually good to know that, from your experiences, almost any amp can take the signal directly from the stock HU

Old 07-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
Ivory, actually i was just stating what i've learned here on the boards, as i said in my first post. i've had extensive discussions with el_duderino, who IIRC has been an installer for many years and owns his own shop in Oregon (www.avincar.com). he has done MANY installs on G35's.

he is the one who explained the whole balanced differential thing to me. i don't think his motivation was to sell me a JL amp since i already had one. i am by no means a "balanced differential kool-aid drinker", i just wanted to pass whatever info i've gotten here on the forums on to the original poster... isn't that the whole purpose of the forums?

but, it's actually good to know that, from your experiences, almost any amp can take the signal directly from the stock HU
OK, I was a little over the top. But there are balanced differential kool-aid drinkers out there and they won't back their shiz up. I just wish someone would provide an example or let it die. Oh well.

JH

Old 07-20-2006, 01:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
RCA from HU Rear Speaker is the way to go.
By the way, to make this splice look pro with highed wires, use these JL Audio RCA to Speaker Wire.
OR you can spend some mad money on an Xtant and completely skip any wire splicing altogether.

Last edited by Drako; 07-20-2006 at 02:11 AM.