Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Should I get the built in NAV system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I get the built in NAV system?

is the this worth $2000, if not can i always get one put in by infiniti later when i decide too? i know it requires the premium package, which i will have so thats no prob, but to you guys, is this built in NAV worth it, or should i get the Alpine one? cuz i dont wanna get the NAV and later put in an alpine system and things will be too complicated to remove... i feel paranoid for installin an after market system in my car, since it looks so nice... i dont wanna mess anything up...

Old 10-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Should I get the built in NAV system?

Yes, get it now!

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, NAV, PREM, AERO, TINT, SPORT, Splash, V1

Old 10-07-2003, 02:10 PM

I don't have it, nor do I know much about it. However, all I can say is if you have a bad sense of direction and/or you are bad with directions, then it might be worth getting. If you're like me (degree in geography; great sense of direction), you don't need it, unless you do a lot of traveling to unfamiliar places, I suppose.

2004 6MT (Silver/Willow), premium & aero packages

Old 10-07-2003, 02:12 PM

I have it and will never own another car without it. Also, you CANNOT get it installed by Infiniti after the fact. You have to have it from the factory, it can't be installed later.

Old 10-07-2003, 02:18 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got it and love it. To me worth every penny.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 10-07-2003, 02:48 PM

Get it! It's worth it! Even if you dont use it much it will still maintain its value if/when you trade the car in... As for installing an aftermarket NAV: some of the aftermarket NAVs are really sweet and play DVDs easier but the intergration of the stock NAV is much nicer....volume control guidance and indash storage... I recommend it... once you get the car you wont be thinking about how much the NAV cost you'll be so in love with it... and besides when you take people for a ride its a fun option to "show-off"... the sotck NAV also integrates the GAS MILEAGE and service tracking which is very nice! Plus if you let someone borrow your G you can use the NAV tracking and see what they were up to when you werent around... if you're contemplating it then get it!!!! and its true... you cannot have the Stock NAV put in later on.. it come built in.

Old 10-07-2003, 02:57 PM

do you have to get it? no
it will worth every penny? yes
did i get one? yes and i absolutely love it

Old 10-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think most people who have it don't regret getting it. $2000 seemed a little steep considering it didn't even play DVDs... so i skipped it. But i will probably get it next time around. And as stated above, the OEM one is not something you can just add on later. If you got a spare 2k and want a fancy toy you should get it.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 10-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you point at a spot on the horizon and tell me to get there, I'll get there. I just have an inherent sense of direction and know most of the roads around me... BUT... I don't know every single little side street, I don't know the absolute fastest way based on speed limits, intersections, etc., and I don't know my way to a finite address that I just hear over the phone. This sucker does.

Get it, you won't regret it. When you're stuck in rush-hour traffic one day on a main road and see that you could make a quick jaunt through this little neighborhood on your left, and it has an exit near where you're going, you'll realize how much you love it.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-07-2003, 03:38 PM

Just singing with the choir here. I got it am very happy I did. I have never heard anyone say, "Gee I wish I didn't get the Nav"

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 10-07-2003, 03:50 PM

If you're even considering it, that means you should get it. It should only be left of the car for people who are very adament that they don't want a NAV. For me, I have a poor sense of direction and I'm relatively new to the Dallas area, so I get a heck of a lot of use out of it, and have the peace of mind to know that no matter where I am, or how lost I am, I can just hit dest-add book-home-ok, and the NAV takes me home.

It's also fun to watch your gas milage plummet when you step on the throttle.. LOL

Now.. if I could just get a different voice to talk to me.. and throw in compliments from time to time, that would be perfect. Why no 'personality' option? How cool would it be to have Angelina Jolie telling you to turn left, or Jean Luc Piccard saying 'free way entrance on the left.. warp 10'.

Old 10-07-2003, 03:53 PM

I have it and I love it, 2,000 dollars equals 40.00 a month.
What do you think?

Old 10-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha, I love my Sal (that's her name). She's like having a girlfriend. She:

Tells me where to go
Tells me "you need to stop for gas" when I really think I can go farther
Tells me there MUST be a better way than the one I was planning
Doesn't listen to me
Always tells me to go back to the way she'd planned, even if I miss a turn
Makes sure I make a "legal" U-turn
Always knows best.

Sal has a "mute" feature though, so I can actually drive in silence. Ahh...

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

shodog took my answer. You'll never hear anyone say "I wish I didn't get it" but people are always saying "I wish I had".

It's a wonderful feeling knowing you never have to ask for directions again.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 10-07-2003, 04:54 PM

In addition to the above, I'll add that the value of the Nav is not in helping you get where you planned to go before you left, it's in getting you where you never planned to go until a split second ago. Mapquest is plenty for planned trips, but my G knows where every gas station, parking lot, and ATM is. If I'm driving through Nowhereville and want House of Pancakes, my G will find me my damn pancakes like a trained bloodhound, if there's an IHOP to be found. I'd guess that it particularly shines in urban settings, or the Northeast sprawl. For me, it comes to $35 a month extra in payments. Subtract the value of the premium gas that I don't waste because of it, and maybe it's $28 or so. How much is the value of the time you spent lost or searching for things worth? How much money is that one airflight or client meeting you don't miss because of it worth? Then subtract how much you get back on resale. Unless your goal in life is to have one extra lobster dinner per month (by yourself), why wouldn't you get the Nav?

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get the built in NAV system?