Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pac-nis2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pac-nis2

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this. I have a Starmate radio installed in my car, it is hardwired into the radio via an FM modulator. I am wondering what the difference is between using an FM modulator vs. the PAC device with my SAT button. I would like to know the difference between the two. It seems to me with the radio installed the way it is I cannot get max volume out of the radio like I could with a CD. Could someone shed some light on this for me?

Old 09-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An FM Modulator broadcasts your starmate's audio on an FM channel, which the radio picks up. It's not connected to an input on the radio.

The PAC-AAI-NIS2 plugs into the SAT connector on the radio, and converts it into 2 RCA inputs. Your starmate would then connect to these RCA inputs.

The difference is you have a physical audio connection vs. converting your audio to an FM broadcast and having the car's FM antenna pick it up.

Also, Nissan/Infiniti use a diversity antenna, which does not work well with FM modulators.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Awesome explanation. Thank you!! I am glad you explained it that way. The douchebag at Circuit City told me that there prolly wouldnt be a difference if I got the PAC unit compared to the FM. I am going to order the the unit asap. I bet there is a hell of a sound difference.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
just a diy for you...if you have an 05....you might think about getting a oem satellite receiver so you can just hook it up directly to your radio...this diy was for hooking up an ipod but i think it might be helpfu......instead of hooking up the ipod just plug in the starmate!...HOWARD STERN RULES! (i bought the satellite receiver from grubbs...its really easy to hook up as long as your car is already prewired for satellite...its standard if you have a bose premium system)
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/99632-pac-aai-nis2-ipod-adapter-installation-guide-05-dash-removal.html

Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey guys I made the mistake of purchasing the PAC on ebay and I got this knockoff. Its called PXNI from Peripheral. Im a bit pissed off since the auction was for the PAC one.

If this douche ends up giving me a hassle do you think I should use this knock off?

Old 10-06-2006, 09:03 AM
This guy has told me that they are made by the same company and the Peripheral device is more money and better quality. Should I listen to this guy? Have any of you heard about this?

Old 10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
peripheral is a good company, they are the same unit

Old 10-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by g35rcr
peripheral is a good company, they are the same unit
Thanks aI installed it and I am happy that it is working but I am having a problem with volume. I am not happy with how low the volume is. There also doesnt seem to be any bass. I do not know why. Can someone help?

Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 AM
????

Old 10-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by IllusiveG35C
Thanks aI installed it and I am happy that it is working but I am having a problem with volume. I am not happy with how low the volume is. There also doesnt seem to be any bass. I do not know why. Can someone help?
I've also experienced the same problem with lower than expected volume and attenuated bass from my iPod using an AAI-NIS2. For several months I've had a Monster adapter plugged in to the dock connecter that has a line level output port to feed the input on the NIS2. I intentionally went this route because I thought I'd get better performance from a line level output than from the headphone output on top of the iPod. Just this past week I decided to see if I'd get better performance by using the headphone port. I was very pleasantly surprised by the result. With the iPod volume turned all the way up, I'm getting volume and bass levels comparable to those from the CD player. I had expected I'd have to cut back on the iPod volume to avoid distortion, but the sound quality had been excellent with the iPod at max volume.

Now if I could only get rid of the annoying alternator whine!