Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Stereo Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Mods

I just dropped a system in my G35 and it work out very well. I kept the Bose head unit and replace all of the speakers and installed two Alpine V12 amps to accompany the Fosgate 10's I placed in the spare tire compartment. I also have a one fared capacitor and a proper ground and power connection. Hits pretty hard but I noticed that it is playing hell with the electronics of the car. The center console display panel sometimes flashes briefly weird hieroglyphics and the electronically controlled transmission will slip at low speeds. This only happens when I turn up the volume real high. Anyone have any ideas why this could be happening.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Re: Stereo Mods

Never hook up anything to your bose head unit. Bose runs 1 ohm speakers and head and your speakers are probibly 4 ohm.

Bose makes the impedence so low to try to make their speakers more efficient.

No High's, No Low's? Must be Bose!

2003.5 Sedan Black on Black
Nav/Premium/Wood

Old 01-21-2003, 11:14 AM

Porthos007

Please post some pics

Thanks

Old 01-21-2003, 04:49 PM

FINALLY SOMONE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!

Hey Porthos007
I have the same problem...
I have a digital battery cap, and i have a 1700watt amp... my eletronics in the car dont display weired stuff but I do get the transmission problem at low speeds (and even at high ones somtimes).. I have no clue what this is related to becuase my battery cap never dips down below 12V... Have you noticed anything else? Or maybe a possibile solution to this problem?

..pestilence..

Old 01-22-2003, 06:50 PM

I think that it may have something to do with power. When I turn down the stereo the problem stops. I don't think the alternator is generating enough amps to run the cars electronics and the stereo equipment at the same time. The transmission is electronically controlled so... I will look into the amperage rating on the alternator and find out. May need to look at other forms of supplying power to the stereo.

Old 01-22-2003, 06:52 PM

I have a VEN4 line out converter that takes care of the interface of the Bose head unit. I think what is happening is there is too much of a load on the alternator and the car is starving for power.

Old 01-22-2003, 06:54 PM

Pics will come as soon as I finish the install. Juat have some cosmetic stuff to do yet.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:55 PM

Porthos007.. what about adding another battery cap?

..pestilence..

Old 01-23-2003, 02:46 PM

How much power should it be able to put out with out having a problem? Maybe you guys are just excedding the voltage.

Marcel

Old 01-24-2003, 03:32 PM

Another capacitor won't help in this case if indeed you are drawing too much power away from the alternator. Another cap would mean you would just have one more place to store power -- your load would be the same. A cap would help when you have intense draws, but will not help if your alternator can't keep up with the load.

Two Alpine V12's or a 1700watt amp (what kind? just curious) could certainly suck the juice. However, that is not to say that those amps would necesarily be too much for any standard alternator. It is possible that the G has an alternator made to power the car's electronics and not much more.

As a point of reference I have three amps in my Mazda MX-6. One is a PPI 600 watt (all watts nominal here), another is an Orion amp putting out 500, and the last is a Sound Stream putting out 100. If the system is loud my lights will dim (yes I do have a 1 farad cap), but I don't get any electronic abnormalities.

Look into how much the alternator is putting out. Aftermarket alternators can be found in the car audio communities as this is a common problem with large installs. Usually much larger than these two, but it seems like a good place to start looking. If you are so inclined, and your system allows for it, you could disconnect one of the V12s and see what happens.

Another thing that concerns me with the V12 amp install is you said you are getting strange characters on the dash. That could (could, not does) elude to a electrical wiring issue. I remember reading that the new Z owners needed to tap into the fuse box to hardwire their radar detectors and could not use the map light power leads because of some issues with the (I may be wrong here, do a search on my350z.com) volts. Is it possible you have a wiring issue too? Although I'm not sure what that could be since I assume you are going from your battery to a distro block and from their to your amps. You have big fuses on the block and off the battery, right? And you are using at least 4 AWG power from the battery, right?

Good luck, electrical problems can be a pain to track down in cars.