Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Advice on Shopping List

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Shopping List

Hello all! I have been doing alot of looking on this forum for info on how to upgrade the stereo in my 05 G35, non bose. I have put together a shopping list thus far of things I know I need to buy. This will be my first time doing any audio work in a car period.

Just so everyone is aware, I am trying to build a system without dedicated subs in the trunk. I want a good set of full range speakers with decent base that don't require dedicated subs. I am unfortunately not very familar with good components to do all of this.

So far I know I need:
2005 Double DIN Dash piece
2005 AC controls
Standard two prong nissan antenna adapter
PAC Audio Adapter to retain steering wheel controls
Amp Kit for power - recommendations?
RCA connectors to Amp in trunk

Things I need help with. I have some ideas but I would love some suggestions:

Head Unit - I have a Garmin Nuvi for Navigation so I don't need anything with Nav. However it looks like all the good double dins come with Nav built in. I hear good things about the Z1 from Pioneer. Any other suggests for a good head unit? The Alpine IVA-W200 seems nice as well. I need something with extra inputs for my Nuvi Navigation and an Ipod. Would this even be possible? I am willing to consider good single DIN head units but I like the idea of a graphical touchscreen.

New Amp - Based on what I have read the JL "slash" series amps are good.
Any recommendations on the type? They have many versions it seems. Will I need 4 channel, 6 channel? Not sure what the criteria is for choosing. How about watts?

Speakers - I read in another thread that the DLS UP6 speakers where fantastic. I assume I would be changing all 6 speakers? (tweeters, front door, rears). Please correct me if this is wrong.

Again I am sorry for the newbie questions. This is my first time and I want to do it right. Thanks!

Last edited by samualcc; 10-09-2006 at 05:07 PM.