Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Speaker ???????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:03 PM
GOT MODS?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker ???????

Are the speakers in our G's Bose speakers or is it just the head unit that's Bose. I know, a dumb question so don't flame me too hard guys.

Is it worthwhile to upgrade any of the car's speakers? I don't want a full custom sound system like you see in some cars I'm just wondering if a simple speaker upgrade will make much difference.

Thanks.

tD

Old 10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
im pretty sure the speaker are bose too!!! u can look in the back to see if they say bose!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:44 PM
TunerDad,

If you purchased the Premium Package of upgrades, the audio package that is included is Bose "branded" stuff in the car. That means, speakers, amp, and headunit has been "designed" and packaged by Bose. In reality, this is all crossbrand marketing. I doubt the underlying components are all Bose branded gear. First, the headunit is made by Clarion and the front/rear components and coaxials are made in Mexico crap with weak magnets and bendy baskets. The wiring is thin and the amp is small, underpowered, and overmodified to produce boomy bass, decent mids, and meek highs.

In reading above, the obvious answer to your question is YES. You can DO better and you should EXPECT better if you are discriminating like me. You don't have to drop $5k on a competition showcar system. Mild mannered upgrades can drastically improve your sound while providing a weekend DIY event with your G and saving you $$$ by doing the work yourself. There are also experts on this forum and some really handy vendors to provide advice and offer services/products to help with your efforts.

A simple speaker upgrade alone can bring a world of difference to sound clarity. Adding aftermarket amps to the mix will bring cleaner power delivery and more powerful sound to your high performance speakers. Soundproofing will reduce rattles, vibrations, and unwanted road noise.

A first project could be to replace your stock components. Pick a pricepoint or budget for the speakers, do some research to find the components you like, install, test, tune. The last two steps may require advice/help from a car audio expert or MECP certified installer.

Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes change them out...bose speakers are just paper speakers

Old 10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
GOT MODS?
Originally Posted by shibal_z
TunerDad,

If you purchased the Premium Package of upgrades, the audio package that is included is Bose "branded" stuff in the car. That means, speakers, amp, and headunit has been "designed" and packaged by Bose. In reality, this is all crossbrand marketing. I doubt the underlying components are all Bose branded gear. First, the headunit is made by Clarion and the front/rear components and coaxials are made in Mexico crap with weak magnets and bendy baskets. The wiring is thin and the amp is small, underpowered, and overmodified to produce boomy bass, decent mids, and meek highs.

In reading above, the obvious answer to your question is YES. You can DO better and you should EXPECT better if you are discriminating like me. You don't have to drop $5k on a competition showcar system. Mild mannered upgrades can drastically improve your sound while providing a weekend DIY event with your G and saving you $$$ by doing the work yourself. There are also experts on this forum and some really handy vendors to provide advice and offer services/products to help with your efforts.

A simple speaker upgrade alone can bring a world of difference to sound clarity. Adding aftermarket amps to the mix will bring cleaner power delivery and more powerful sound to your high performance speakers. Soundproofing will reduce rattles, vibrations, and unwanted road noise.

A first project could be to replace your stock components. Pick a pricepoint or budget for the speakers, do some research to find the components you like, install, test, tune. The last two steps may require advice/help from a car audio expert or MECP certified installer.

Good Luck!
WOW!!!! What an awesome reply. Thanks.
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Great info.
I guess it's time for a little research and then on to some better speakers.

Thanks again.

tD

Old 10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Def good info - one follow on question though: Are there good aftermarket speakers that fit into the existing speaker wells? I'd like to keep the stock look but obviously drastically improve the sound quality.

Thx.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Yes, most aftermarket 6.5" component speakers should fit the stock speaker locations without issues. Do a search and you should be able to find the maximum depth for the doors and rear fill areas. Compare this with the speaker dimensions to figure out if you will have enough depth for the speakers. More expensive speakers with bigger magnets will require larger dimensions and some fitment issues may occur. The doors have deep stock spaces and should accomodate most high-end speakers. The rear fill area is shallower and you may have fewer choices here. Personally, I don't use rear fills so I just disconnected the stock rears and made sure it didn't rattle.

Ideally, you will get better imaging with the use of kicker pods or having custom kicker panel locations, but this gets more involved and requires professional oversight and advice to install, test, and tune properly. 16psibrick sells premade kicker pods for DIYers, or you can hire him to fab a custom kicker installation.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:40 PM
GOT MODS?
Does the sedan have 6.5" speakers in the doors and back shelf? Would they all be the same?

Thanks.

tD